Creating- Editing Sounds

Thread: Creating- Editing Sounds

Creating- Editing Sounds

In my quest in understanding sound files in FSX, I did some research of the cone effect, I discovered that within the sound.cfg one of the
    parameters withing the General Sections that relate to sound cones I find:

insideconeangle Inside sound cone angle in degrees. B737_800( InsideConeAngle=90 )
    Lear45( InsideConeAngle=360 )
    Maule_M7_260C( InsideConeAngle=180 )
    Maule_M7_260C_Ski( InsideConeAngle=120 )
    outsideconeangle Outside sound cone angle in degrees. B737_800( OutsideConeAngle=350 )
    DeHavilland_Beaver_DHC2( OutsideConeAngle=270 )
    Lear45( OutsideConeAngle=360 )
    Maule_M7_260C( OutsideConeAngle=260 )
    conepitch The pitch, in degrees, of the sound cone. B737_800( ConePitch=0 )
    Lear45( ConePitch=0.000000 )
    Maule_M7_260C( ConePitch=-40.000004 )
    Maule_M7_260C_Ski( ConePitch=-40.000000 )
    coneheading Direction of sound cone in degrees. Zero is facing forward. B737_800( ConeHeading=180 )
    DeHavilland_Beaver_DHC2( ConeHeading=0 )
    Lear45( ConeHeading=0.000000 )
    Maule_M7_260C( ConeHeading=179.999985 )
    outsideconevolume Maximum volume outside of sound cone. B737_800( OutsideConeVolume=9500 )
    DeHavilland_Beaver_DHC2( OutsideConeVolume=9000 )
    Lear45( OutsideConeVolume=10000 )
    Maule_M7_260C( OutsideConeVolume=9450

I read that FS Sound Studio is a great tool with which to use in creating/editing sounds for FSX.
    I wanted to "Peel the onion" of the sound.cfg with interest of the overall composition of the sound.cfg file.
    It like the other *cfg files have their structures. I found some interesting info here as well

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526952.aspx

I also found this link most helpful.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28897

FS Sound Studio doesn't work with 3d cones. All of the 3d cone parameters must be done by hand in the sound.cfg.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by fsxar177 View Post
    FS Sound Studio doesn't work with 3d cones. All of the 3d cone parameters must be done by hand in the sound.cfg.

- Joseph
    Ahh.... Thanks. That looks like a lot a trial and error as well. I looked at all the entries that are involved.

Very much so trial and error. The SDK helps a great deal.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Ahh.... Thanks. That looks like a lot a trial and error as well. I looked at all the entries that are involved.
    There are several members who are quite adept at creating very realistic sound files for aircraft. They may be of some help if you decide to take up the craft. Nigel Richards is one, I think he resides mainly in the FS2004 Forums and Tufun is another, he's done an excellent job of building a pretty complex soundset for the upcoming C-97 from Manfred. I believe he's also working on the F3F-2 sounds.

Members who have read this thread: 0