Vertigo Studios SPAD VII - Update forthcoming!

Thread: Vertigo Studios SPAD VII - Update forthcoming!

Vertigo Studios SPAD VII - Update forthcoming!

Vertigo Studios SPAD VII
    Some of you may have missed, or overlooked the Vertigo Studios SPAD VII, was released last November. To those of you who did acquire it, some of it's bugs were probably readily apparent! More on that in a minute..
    I have recently become partners with Vertigo Studios, joining forces to ensure a bright future for their add-on development. Unfortunately, we don't have access to the source files for most of our previous products, since they had mostly been out-sourced. The good news is, that from henceforth we'll be able to accomplish everything in house, and offer more capable support for said developments. The first project in the pipeline, is the Nieuport 17. There's some pretty neat features going into this one, which should be exciting! With that said, we're very anxious to also put the fires to the other projects, namely the Mosquito, T-33, and the B-25. We're working full-time on these projects as well, and look forward to sharing more in the very near future.

Back to the Spad;
    The Spad VII had been released a bit prematurely, and several bugs were reported. Having just joined partnership with Vertigo, I have made it a first priority to update/patch the SPAD, to the level of quality that our customers deserve.
    Visually, the model is very pleasing, and includes 15 liveries!

As part of the development update, several things have been addressed, including these fixes, and additions;
    • Flight Model. Several corrections to rudder/elevator control, and engine/propeller properties.
    • Start-up smoke. Corrects the 'sticking' smoke at engine start.
    • Engine Smoke. Corrects at which point oil burning smoke is generated.
    • Magneto operation. Corrects Left/Right magnetos to function properly.
    • Starter operation. Corrects starter animation and function to work properly.
    • Fuel selector valve. Corrects fuel selector valve to enable selection of fuel-cutoff.
    • Engine Audio. Corrects audio files from 'hanging', and fixes internal audio to dual channel stereo for better depth of sound.
    • Contact Points. Corrects wheel and skid contact points, to allow better performance over grass runways, and with Accu-Feel.
    • Propeller Texture. Correct backwards text on propeller, removing to make more accurate to type.
    • Mid-Air reload. Correct aircraft load, to run when selected in mid-air, and with pilot visible.
    • System flooding. Corrects 'constant firing' of key events, which caused multiplayer and system performance issues.
    • Adds full functionality to all cockpit switches.
    • Adds updated configuration panel, allowing selection of 'cold and dark', or 'ready to start' setups.

This update is currently being packaged, and will be sent to the stores in the next couple days. A patch installer will of course be provided freely, for current customers.

If there is anything you would like to see modified, or included, that's not listed in the update log, please contact me immediately! We welcome feedback, and will henceforth endeavor to satisfy you with the most rewarding simulation experience that we can.

Some users have asked about TacPack integration. Our original intentions were to include the TacPack integration on the initial release, however logistical problems have arisen which did not allow us to do such. We apologize. It is likely that we'll mitigate these issues, and be able to furnish the inclusion of TacPack, with other aircraft in the future.

The 'Stow Maries' scenery is still en-route. If possible, it will be included with the SPAD VII update.

Best regards to all,
    - Joseph

VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

SOH-CM-2024
    Well, bloody 'Ell, if I had not seen this update post, I would never have hopped over and picked it up. What a beaut! And I have the Paint Kit and many SPAD VII plans. Just took a short hop and she a dandy too.

Caz

Look for some fun repaints for this from old Caz

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Hello Joseph,

The plane looks very tempting, but one thing is not clear to me. Will there, or will there not, be TacPac integration in a future update? You talk about TacPac integration in future aircraft. But Vertigo always said that the SPAD would get TacPac at some point. I take it that this is still the plan?

Stickshaker,

With regards to TP integration. VRS (Vertical Reality Simulations) currently charges $39.95 for their product TacPack. Most of that market is aimed at the Jet-Age, and more modern military aircraft. We did not experience the best of support from VRS, to allow us to enable to features of TP on the Spad 7, and Nieuport 17. (Though as you mention, it was originally intended) So for the timing being, the short answer is no, TP will not be included on the Spad.

However, we hope to re-evaluate the possibilities with adding TP other applicable war-time aircraft.

Best!
    - Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Joseph, all clear. Unfortunately this makes I'll stick to Rise of Flight for WWI planes for the moment.

Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't really see any reason why the Spad and Nieuport can't be TacPacked very easily. TacPack supports both Vickers and Lewis machine guns. All you need is a tacpack.ini file and a small bit of control code. No radar, HUD or guided missiles to worry about. Half an hours work, if that, to get the basics working.

It's probably some legal licence issue, instead of a technical problem, that prevents them from adding TacPack features to their plane.

Yes, could be. I don't own the Spad anyway, so it makes little difference to me.

Good-day,
    Previously I had mentioned that logistical problems were slowing our progress on TacPack integration, and that we would not be able to complete integration for the Spad.

We're pleased to announce that these issues have been mitigated, and that we have begun testing TacPack functions on the Spad VII, and Nieuport 17. TacPack features will be included in the forthcoming Spad update.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Count me in, Joseph! Great news! And I am looking forward to the scenery too.<o></o>
    Something that you probably can do nothing about, but one can never know: in TacPac, the minimum speed for a tanker (that you can replace with any aircraft as a target) is 200 kts. This obviously is too fast for a WWI plane. Is there any trick around this? Of course one can also shoot at ships. I confess I did not check of the TacPac drones have the same minimum speed.<o></o>

The minimum tanker speed is 200 kts, yes, and the minimum altitude is 5000 ft. But, we can't set drones, like we configure tankers in the TPM (AFAIK...).

I wonder if VRS plans movable guns in the future. For now, guns are fixed on the aircraft per the ini file. I think it means a great addition when movable guns are added, especially for WW2 bomber guys, but also for WW1 scouts and even modern bombers have (radar guided) gun turrets.
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Count me in, Joseph! Great news! And I am looking forward to the scenery too.<o></o>
    Something that you probably can do nothing about, but one can never know: in TacPac, the minimum speed for a tanker (that you can replace with any aircraft as a target) is 200 kts. This obviously is too fast for a WWI plane. Is there any trick around this? Of course one can also shoot at ships. I confess I did not check of the TacPac drones have the same minimum speed.<o></o>
    The best (and most fun!) way to do this, is to download and install FSRecorder.

I think version 2.1 would be best.

It allows you to record your own flights, and then play them back as traffic. (With any aircraft!) There can be numerous tracks, and TacPack allows you to shoot down the traffic. So you can fly your own dogfight! Last night I killed a Dr.1.. Pretty fun stuff, actually.

Take a look!

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

More additions to the SPAD VII update list.

• More FDE Re-work, including weight distribution, stall characteristics, and control surface dynamics.
    • Updated effects files for more realistic start-up smoke, and very subtle full-power smoke.
    • New custom stereo audio files for open-cockpit wind noise, and 'shaky' touchdown sounds.
    • Enabled user sounds to be used across multiplayer.

-and-

• TacPack Integration;

1 x Synchronized Vickers Machine Gun, fixed, forward-firing through the spinning Propeller.
    Ammo: 500 x .303 armour piercing with Mk. VIIT Tracers. Fires at 480 rounds per minute.

Optional;
    1 x Lewis Machine Gun, fitted to the top wing (field modification).
    Ammo: 3 x 97rnd drums of .303 armour piercing with Mk. VIIT Tracers. Fires at 550 rounds per minute.

Complete with muzzle flash, tracers (optional), and actual audio recordings from both guns.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

New sale upon release.

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Ditto. Very nice, Joseph, and FS recorder seems like a good idea. Is it perhaps an option to include one or two flights to get people going, even if it is mock dogfights between two SPADs?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickshaker View Post
    Ditto. Very nice, Joseph, and FS recorder seems like a good idea. Is it perhaps an option to include one or two flights to get people going, even if it is mock dogfights between two SPADs?
    Not a Bad Idea...
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

The Update v1.1 has been sent to the stores.
    It may take a day or two for them to post the new installers. Should be labeled as version 1.1.
    Existing customers at pcsimstore.com should be able to access their download now. It's a full installer, 168mb, and can be installed directly over your current version!
    If you have any add-on repaints installed, you will want to back-up your entries in the aircraft.cfg for those liveries.
    See the product page for details!

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Got her, great fun to fly low and not too slow

Minor issue of the rudder kick bar animated in reverse.

Where is the Stow Maires scenery, Can't find it anywhere.

now off to find some extra paints

Good job chaps.

@jetstreamsky

Thanks for the feedback.. Wow, a reverse animation, of all things? Something I didn't even notice! Thanks.

The Stow scenery is in the pipeline, but not released (yet).

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Members who have read this thread: 2