Instructions about how to use the lib Search engine

Thread: Instructions about how to use the lib Search engine

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Angry Instructions about how to use the lib Search engine

Did anyone ever wrote instructions about how to use SOH Search engine in the Warbirds library?

I am looking for Allen's R4D Dakota enhancement of The B24Guy overhauled stock C-47 and I thought to use the Search feature instead of scrolling through the entire US Aircraft section.

I entered the following text:

• "C47" yields no results
    • "R4D" yields no results
    • "R4D Dakota" yields no results
    • "C-47" yields only the FDG cargo for their C-47
    • "Allen" yields 8 results, none of them is any of Allen's original work
    • "Dakota" yields 3 results. Only AW38 Whitley MkIII UT.zip, just because the sound is aliased to The B24 Guy overhauled C-47, then Lisounov_Li-2t.zip uploaded by Sopwith Chameleon, finally the overhaul pack from The B24 Guy........

The first time I limited the search within CFS2-Aircraft-American, then, just in case, I choose the entire CFS2-Aircraft section getting the exact results as before!

Indeed a nice search engine!

Cheers!
    KH

P.S.: OK, I found it. Only by going backwards starting from the latest entries. One by one back to 2012, when Allen uploaded it. A recommended computer-era method.
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Hi Stef,

Yes I think you could call it broken.

So I'll explain a search method that works. Not too simple, but it works.

Go to the users profile page you want to find a project from usually found at the users avatar from a post then/view profile.
    In your browsers address bar is the users id number on the profile page.

Copy and paste it into this code at the very end.

Code:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&sort=d&literal=1&userid=
    Allen's id number is 53588

Put the code with id number in address bar and one will get the pages with this users uploads. Make a bookmark to it. Use for future reference.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...1&userid=53588

The B24Guy is 105
    Test it out.

Dave

Icon22 Reply...

Hey guys,

I had the same problem that you did, and I think I know why this is a problem. It basically boils down to the length of the phrase you are looking for. Unfortunately, many of the aircraft that we know are recognized by their acronyms or war numbers. (P-51, P-47, P-38, C-47, B-25, B-26, etc.) The search engine does a terrible / non-existent job recognizing these codes, although it should.

The way that I was able to find it was the word "Skytrain," which is what it was listed under. In his description, he did not use the word "Dakota," which is why your search came up blank.

In addition to The B24 Guy's method, you can try entering the username of the uploader and searching for words, but it's not foolproof. I can certainly understand your frustration.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Tried it, and it works, but hardly what could be called neither easy nor user-friendly? Maybe someone should have a look at that no-searchmachine? I tried to look for baldy's things, and only got a lot of discussion threads.

Finn

All of the work I did for the C-47/R4D was pack into the OH C-47 when the whole Library had to be re-uploaded.

You can get it all here. I know the upload date says July 27th, 2006 but it includes all of the later updates The B24 Guy did and my own.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=105&sort=d
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

some visual aids might help here ...

I enter member name "UncleTgt" (right side of the search screen), & using the list above it, select "CFS2 Aircraft - British"

This gives me the following list (sorted by upload date (descending) ie most recent first. So long as you know who the author is, & roughly what you're looking for, it narrows down the number of files you have to trawl through (a lot).
    Not foolproof & I agree the search functions are not terribly user friendly, but we're not going to win that battle, so this is the method I find I use the most.

Hope this helps.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Thank you lads for all of your explanations.

I will use your suggestions next time I'll need to dig out of the library something. It's amazing, everytime I am sure I downloaded everything I could from SOH, something I missed pops out!

It's the case of UncleTgt recent stunning C-47/R4D repaints. When I read they were for "Allen's R4D enhancement of The B24Guy stock C-47 overhaul" I jumped, I was not aware it existed!

Knowing the top-notch quality of Allen's work, I downloaded UncleTgt's new skins and went looking for Allen's R4D right away!

Now I have both and going backward to adapt other C-47 skins to this model.

If I may suggest few extra touches to make her perfect:

1. replace the stock propeller with The B24Guy/Dbolt's new one,
    2. activate the cowl flap animation,
    3. center the landing gear wheel animation.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Members who have read this thread: 2