Changing aircraft in a recording

Thread: Changing aircraft in a recording

Changing aircraft in a recording

If I make a recording of an adversary aircraft using FSrecorder, and then play it as traffic so I can hunt it down and kill it, can I also record that and play it back, i.e. record both aircraft? And if I can, is there a way to switch aircraft when I play it back so I can see what the adversary aircraft is seeing? I have this strange desire to see and feel what it's like to get shot down (in FSX, not in real life).

Quote Originally Posted by brettt777 View Post
    If I make a recording of an adversary aircraft using FSrecorder, and then play it as traffic so I can hunt it down and kill it, can I also record that and play it back, i.e. record both aircraft? And if I can, is there a way to switch aircraft when I play it back so I can see what the adversary aircraft is seeing? I have this strange desire to see and feel what it's like to get shot down (in FSX, not in real life).
    Yes, you can do all that. You just have to read the manual!
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Yes, you can do all that. You just have to read the manual!
    I tried it; recorded flight A of a MiG-23 flying around. Then recorded another, flight B, of a VRS FA-18 with flight A playing as AI. I saw the MiG and tracked it and shot it down (took a long time for it to go down even after a few direct Sidewinder hits). I then replayed flight B with the Hornet as the viewed aircraft. It all worked; I watched the MiG take off while sitting in the Hornet, then the Hornet took off, tracked the MiG and shot it down. Great... until I tried to watch flight B from the MiG. Then it only plays for about 10-15 seconds and eventually CTD. Maybe I'll try it again with different aircraft. Besides, I figured out that even though the Hornet will turn circles around a MiG-23, the MiG is way faster. Oh well, at least I can make up adversary flights and fly against them.

Quote Originally Posted by brettt777 View Post
    Then it only plays for about 10-15 seconds and eventually CTD
    I can't explain this specifically, but did you try it more than once? When I make my videos I usually use a lot of replaying, with several aircraft, skipping backwards and forwards in the recording, switching views and so on. I have found that with this kind of fiddling FS-Recorder inevitably crashes FSX after a while. I guess it has some kind of memory-allocation bug.
    MarkH

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    some kind of memory-allocation bug
    (It occurs to me this could be the FSX uiautomation bug, as manipulating FS-Recorder can involve lots of menu clicks.)
    MarkH

FSRecorder is a great piece of kit, and i think greatly underused. It does seem to have a few quirks that I'd love to see fixed, but doubt that'll ever happen now. Anyone know any fixes for things like the 'hard over' rudder on DC3 playback and some other aircraft?
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

Members who have read this thread: 0