Repaint Problem

Thread: Repaint Problem

Repaint Problem

Hello everyone im having a bit of trouble. Im a big fan of A2As Wings Of Power II P-51D Mustang ive got most of the ones ive seen at airshows except one. Jumpin Jaques is the main one I want and now ive seen Marinell. I have downloaded the repaints of both these aircraft and I have done everything it has told me to do copy the texture file into the main aircraft file then copied the info into the aircraft.cfg. But they do not show up when selecting the aircraft in FS9 can anyone help has anyone had this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Burnside View Post
    Hello everyone im having a bit of trouble. Im a big fan of A2As Wings Of Power II P-51D Mustang ive got most of the ones ive seen at airshows except one. Jumpin Jaques is the main one I want and now ive seen Marinell. I have downloaded the repaints of both these aircraft and I have done everything it has told me to do copy the texture file into the main aircraft file then copied the info into the aircraft.cfg. But they do not show up when selecting the aircraft in FS9 can anyone help has anyone had this before.
    Sorry just been on to the sim itself it is in there but under manufacturer North American but the theres no texture just a blank mustang.

Hi Tom,
    In the ac config file make sure the info that you pasted into your aircraft.cftg file for the texture you want has the next sequencial number at the top of that entry i.e [fltsim.X] so the first one will be [fltsim.0] then .1, .2 etc. Also that the title of the folder for that re-paint is the correct one again in that paste info it has the same name in the 'texture= ?' list

[fltsim.0] X
    title=P-51D 'Snooks'
    sim=p51d
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture= X

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Tom,
    In the ac config file make sure the info that you pasted into your aircraft.cftg file for the texture you want has the next sequencial number at the top of that entry i.e [fltsim.X] so the first one will be [fltsim.0] then .1, .2 etc. Also that the title of the folder for that re-paint is the correct one again in that paste info it has the same name in the 'texture= ?' list

[fltsim.0] X
    title=P-51D 'Snooks'
    sim=p51d
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture= X

Cheers

Shessi
    I have done this it goes into the flightsim and I can select the aircraft but the texture is blank.

Blog Entries

A pointer... maybe...

If the original textures were in 256 colors... and you replaced them with 8 bit color...
    it usually will not show until the textures are put in 256... try it...
    for some reason... panels do show even when they are in higher color definition... I am
    basically an artist..no tekkie... but it is something I observed... noticed by trial and error...
    worth a try....

G.

I think either Shessi or Gaucho has the answer.

The paint shows up on the aircraft selection list, so the title line must be OK (it doesn't matter what that line says, as long as it's not the same as that line in another UI section.) So if the problem is in the aircraft.cfg file, it must be that the texture= line or the folder name.

If you made no modifications of any kind to the textures, then it would almost have to be that the paint's folder name doesn't match the name in the title= line of the cfg file. Or perhaps a typo inserted a comma instead of a period between texture and the paint name, so it reads texture,paint instead of texture.paint. Look for any misspellings in either the texture= line or the texture folder name.

If you're sure that the cfg file is OK, then the problem is probably the texture files themselves. Is it possible that you inadvertently changed them? AS Gaucho mentioned, while FS9 reads panel backgrounds in 24-bit format, it can not read external texture files in that format. Textures have to be in 256 colors, 32-bit, DXT-1 or DXT-3 format.

There's not much chance of turning a 256-color file into something else by accident, since fiddling with it in a graphics program won't change the format unless you tell it to. And, it's hard to imagine anyone repainting a high quality payware plane like that in low-quality, fuzzy 256-color textures. It's not likely that you changed a DXT texture to something else by mistake because you couldn't even open it except in a specialized program like DXTbmp, and it would be unlikely (though maybe not impossible) to save it in a different format without doing so deliberately.

But 32-bit textures could be inadvertently changed into 24-bit format, and since you're dealing with a repaint for a high quality payware plane, I'm betting that the repaint is probably in high quality 32-bit format. You can open and view a 32-bit file in any image program, but you can't save it in 32-bit unless you're using DXTbmp (or some comparable program, is there are any.) If you make any change, no matter how tiny, your image program will automatically convert the file to 24-bit when it saves the changes. And FS can't read 24-bit files.

If you deliberately changed a 32-bit file in a regular imagery program and saved it, you accidentally converted it to 24-bit format, and there's the explanation for your problem.

If you just opened the file to look at it, and perhaps made just one tiny mouse click in the image window, that would change just one pixel's coloration, and if you inadvertently clicked "yes" when the program asked if it should save the changes, the file would save in 24-bit format.

Anyway, after way too much background explanation, here's my suggestion:

Delete the texture folder of the affected paint and replace it fresh from the zip file you downloaded. That might be all you have to do.

If that doesn't work, then try opening each external texture file in DXTbmp and check to make sure it's in a format that FS9 can read.

One more thought: are you sure this is an FS9 repaint? If it's an FSX paint it might be in a format that FS9 can't read, or the file sizes might be too big for FS9 to handle, or both. There is a way to convert FSX textures for use in FS9 but I don't know how to do it. If that's what needs to be done, I'm sure someone here can tell you how.

Blog Entries

Now, you seem to know a lot... and can help me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I think either Shessi or Gaucho has the answer.

The paint shows up on the aircraft selection list, so the title line must be OK (it doesn't matter what that line says, as long as it's not the same as that line in another UI section.) So if the problem is in the aircraft.cfg file, it must be that the texture= line or the folder name.

If you made no modifications of any kind to the textures, then it would almost have to be that the paint's folder name doesn't match the name in the title= line of the cfg file. Or perhaps a typo inserted a comma instead of a period between texture and the paint name, so it reads texture,paint instead of texture.paint. Look for any misspellings in either the texture= line or the texture folder name.

If you're sure that the cfg file is OK, then the problem is probably the texture files themselves. Is it possible that you inadvertently changed them? AS Gaucho mentioned, while FS9 reads panel backgrounds in 24-bit format, it can not read external texture files in that format. Textures have to be in 256 colors, 32-bit, DXT-1 or DXT-3 format.

There's not much chance of turning a 256-color file into something else by accident, since fiddling with it in a graphics program won't change the format unless you tell it to. And, it's hard to imagine anyone repainting a high quality payware plane like that in low-quality, fuzzy 256-color textures. It's not likely that you changed a DXT texture to something else by mistake because you couldn't even open it except in a specialized program like DXTbmp, and it would be unlikely (though maybe not impossible) to save it in a different format without doing so deliberately.

But 32-bit textures could be inadvertently changed into 24-bit format, and since you're dealing with a repaint for a high quality payware plane, I'm betting that the repaint is probably in high quality 32-bit format. You can open and view a 32-bit file in any image program, but you can't save it in 32-bit unless you're using DXTbmp (or some comparable program, is there are any.) If you make any change, no matter how tiny, your image program will automatically convert the file to 24-bit when it saves the changes. And FS can't read 24-bit files.

If you deliberately changed a 32-bit file in a regular imagery program and saved it, you accidentally converted it to 24-bit format, and there's the explanation for your problem.

If you just opened the file to look at it, and perhaps made just one tiny mouse click in the image window, that would change just one pixel's coloration, and if you inadvertently clicked "yes" when the program asked if it should save the changes, the file would save in 24-bit format.

Anyway, after way too much background explanation, here's my suggestion:

Delete the texture folder of the affected paint and replace it fresh from the zip file you downloaded. That might be all you have to do.

If that doesn't work, then try opening each external texture file in DXTbmp and check to make sure it's in a format that FS9 can read.

One more thought: are you sure this is an FS9 repaint? If it's an FSX paint it might be in a format that FS9 can't read, or the file sizes might be too big for FS9 to handle, or both. There is a way to convert FSX textures for use in FS9 but I don't know how to do it. If that's what needs to be done, I'm sure someone here can tell you how.
    I am at my wit's end... my CFS 2 install has a number of aircraft that do not show on the list... I went through all of them that do not show and made sure that they all have proper model, cfg. panels, etc. etc. and they still do not show.... I imported Allen's FW 190 and it did not show... because it had the wrong model file (cannot show visual model error)... got his fix... and it shows... even corrected the aircraft.cfg file to show both texture options... and it works...
    I checked the others (that do not show) to see if they were blocked - because they are from an archival HD - THEY WERE ALL OK... still no show... what can I do???
    I got some nice repainted 3rd party and B-24 Guy de-mirrored B-25s, B-24s, Kates, etc. and can't get them to show up at all... obviously the one from Allen I just added DOES show and operate... what can be the glitch... Please, suggestions if you have any...

G.

Check under the model= line in the cfg. A2A/WoP had a Hi-res version of the mustang come out for fs9 and was part of the WW2 fighters collection I believe. I had the same problem with a few paints not showing back in my fs9 days and once I figured it out had no more problems.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

The P-51D model in the WOP Mustang pack is completely different to that in the WOP WWII Fighter edition.
    I have been caught out downloading several times.
    The first has only one exterior texture sheet, the other five!
    Unfortunately they are almost all listed as 'WOP P-51D', without making this clear.

Regards, Stuart

Lightbulb

Yes it is for FS9 I searched it in the Library all I have done is done what it tells me to do in the readme file havent edited it in anyway.

Blog Entries

Solved the problem....

I think those old files must have been corrupted... I replaced the aircraft with some of my other repaints... all properly aliased... and I can see them all...

G.
    no more headaches

I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. It was with the CalClassic C-46. I had about 4 paints that wouldn't show. Just the 3d models. But everything in the aircraft.cfg and the texture folder names was right like it should be. Asked about it here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Under-Control

Tom Clayton in post 12 got me started on solving the issue.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Members who have read this thread: 0