Cfs2.exe and norton security

Thread: Cfs2.exe and norton security

Cfs2.exe and norton security

Okay, I am really stumped and torqued. I just "updated" my security to Norton by Symantec for 2015 and it keeps identifying CFS2.exe as a malicious file and removes it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ideas on how to stop this. So far my e-mails to Symantec have no responses! If I known this beforehand I never would have bought this. All the past years it ran great with no trouble, now this!

Add the CFS2.exe to your AVs exemption list.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Me too

My cfs2.exe's are sill there, but all my .cfg and .dat files have disappeared. I thought it might be the Norton and now I am convinced it is. I just put a new install in on Sunday and it still works though. Whatever happened was just before that I guess.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

May have traced it to..............

....their "Download Intelligence". Access it through "Security"..."Advanced".. it is listed under the "Web". It seems when you try to run CFS2 it will mark CFS2.exe as a threat and delete it! Get this it is based on "Anonymous sources" to have it deleted!
    I turned the feature off and the game runs. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! When I loaded the update it actually made the computer give the BSOD!!!! I found if you run the SFC\ fix it will fix it

Just wanted to let you all know that I also have the new "Norton Security 2015" and I haven't had any of the problems you have described. I have my "Download Intelligence" turned on. Maybe something else causing the problems? Just drawing at straws here. When I installed my "Norton Security 2015" I left the settings for it to "Default".

KWB.........

.that is what has me going bonkers! I had Norton 360 and the new one asked if I wanted to use those settings and I agreed. It then removed the 360 and my problems began!

Quote Originally Posted by Fibber View Post
    .that is what has me going bonkers! I had Norton 360 and the new one asked if I wanted to use those settings and I agreed. It then removed the 360 and my problems began!
    I also had Norton 360 Fibber. Before I downloaded and installed the the new Norton Security 2015 I let my subscription to Norton 360 run out. Then I uninstalled Norton 360 along with all left overs of it from my hard drive. Then when I downloaded and installed Norton Security 2015 I wasn't asked to use the settings I had on Norton 360. Probably because my subscription had expired and it was no longer on my hard drive. You could try uninstalling your new Norton security 2015 completely and reinstall it with everything set to default. Just a guess.

KWB.......

......." I uninstalled Norton 360 along with all left overs of it from my hard drive". I think there-in lies my problem. I apparently hadn't totally removed the old 360, otherwise I did just like you did. Expire, etc.... I believe what happens is that even some basic .dll's etc. Norton takes as their own in a removal using their tool and leaves some little vestiges behind to haunt. JMHO.

......." I uninstalled Norton 360 along with all left overs of it from my hard drive". I think there-in lies my problem. I apparently hadn't totally removed the old 360, otherwise I did just like you did. Expire, etc.... I believe what happens is that even some basic .dll's etc. Norton takes as their own in a removal using their tool and leaves some little vestiges behind to haunt. JMHO.
    I think you may be right Fibber. After I used my uninstaller to remove Norton 360 I also did a search for the word "Norton" and "N360" and found several files and folders on my hard drive left over with those names. I deleted them so I knew my hard drive was clean of anything Norton before I downloaded the new. Kind of a pain to have to do all that.

I'm using N-360 with 54 days left. What do you guys suggest?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    I'm using N-360 with 54 days left. What do you guys suggest?
    I would wait till your Norton 360 subscription expires in 55 days Shadow. Then do a complete uninstall of Norton 360 with your windows uninstaller or uninstaller of your choice. I would then do a complete search of your computer looking for the words "Symantec", "Norton", and "N360". Delete all files and folders that have any of those names. Then I would do a Disc clean up on drive (C) Then I would restart your computer and install your new Norton Security 2015.

Aaaaaaand........

....keep your fingers crossed or else !

Yes, absolutely. A question: what operating systems are you guys using? I'm on Win 7 home premium.
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; February 25th, 2015 at 14:24.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Yes, absolutely. A question: what operating systems are you guys using?
    Mine is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Well......

....I guess I have the creaky bones all around.... WinXpSp3 Still playing with the exclusions. As of now it is still deleting CFS2.exe on me. Becoming a sort of game of checkers here!

....I guess I have the creaky bones all around.... WinXpSp3 Still playing with the exclusions. As of now it is still deleting CFS2.exe on me. Becoming a sort of game of checkers here!
    Well, that rules out OS updates as the culprit. I was hoping to blame MS for the problem. The only thing left that makes sense is the antivirus. Too bad the measures you took didn't work Fibber. As I said whatever it is zapped my .cfg, and .dat files and most. but not all of my sound folders. It left the .exe files alone - different from your problem
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

I experienced a similar problem tonight when unzipping one of the PHP2 zips that included GSLMan.exe. NIS warned me and then quarantined it! Anyway, as Allen suggested earlier in the thread, I went into NIS and then: "Advanced" -> "Computer Protection" -> "Quarantine" -> highlited GSLMan.exe in the list and then clicked on "Options" -> "Restore and Exclude".

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

May have found a way...........

......to get NIS to stop deleting my CFS2.exe. Open NIS.>Security>Settings>Antivirus>Scans and Risks.
    -Then under "Exclusions/Low Risk"
    -Scroll down to "Exclude autoprotect and Download Intell."
    -Open the "configure (+)" option on the right side.
    -Follow the prompts to find and mark the file that you want to exclude
    -Hit OK.
    MAKE SURE that you hit OK before proceeding.Go through each of these steps for each file you want excluded. If you don't it will not be excluded.

It is a real PIA but the only way that I have found so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0