Golden Age Hawaii Scenery? Anyone still using this one?

Thread: Golden Age Hawaii Scenery? Anyone still using this one?

Golden Age Hawaii Scenery? Anyone still using this one?

Greetings all,

Was visiting a website and came across a scenery pack called "Golden Age Hawaii" by Lynn & Bill Lyons. Also ID'ed as Custom Classics VIII.
    Seems to be about ten years old and has the same name at two different sites; cc8ghf.zip. It has scenery, aircraft, and flights with it.
    Anyone ever use it? Thanks in advance.

Ed Moore

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Greetings Ed :-)

Thanks for reminding us.

I had it installed on my machine for several years. then after some major 'housekeeping' seem to have lost/mislaid the package.

I remember it as a very nice little scenery/aircraft set, very much fitting with my own predilection for the golden age era of aviation.
    Now that you mention it; what a very relevant addition it would make to the wonderful gifts you and Gary regularly treat us lucky simmers to.

Is it still available?

Best Regards,
    Nigel :-})
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

I use it often on my FSGW install. It's still a great scenery / aircraft combo.

Hi,
    I found it again! from a site called Bob Holland.com...I'm not sure if it's still going/active, but there's a lot of stuff there! Hump scenery and MATS aircraft as well. Interesting.

Andy.

Certainly worth the download! I still have in my Golden Wings install. I love the vintage AI traffic.

Cheers,
    Huub

I did away with FS9 modern world. It's FSX for modern times and FSGW for pre-jet era. It works for me.

Golden Hawaii is a basic part of my Golden Wings installation. It was released before GW3 so isn't part of Golden Wings unless you make it so. That's easy enough to do.

The big downside of a standard GH installation is that it disappears Oceania, so if you want to fly elsewhere in the Pacific you'd have to turn off Golden Hawaii. With a very little effort in moving files, it's easy to make a permanent Golden Hawaii that doesn't affect anything else. I got the instructions for that here at SOH. Since I can't find a link to that post, I've patched the instructions in at the end of this post.

Bill Lyons' was never a stickler for historical authenticity, so there are a number of anachronisms. They're easy and fun to correct for those inclined to fiddle around with scenery and traffic, and can be happily ignored by those who don't mind.

The biggest anachronisms are that the fleet is based at Pearl Harbor, with an impressive line of old battlewagons moored in Battleship Row, but there is no trace of Hickam Field directly across the loch. In real history, Hickam was built before the fleet moved to Hawaii. Likewise, the AI planes are typical of the early to mid-thirties (eg., F11C Goshawk and P-6E Hawk, the latter in the unique Snow Owl livery worn by the unit based at Selfridge Field in Michigan) whereas the fleet didn't move to Hawaii until the summer of 1940.

There is an aircraft carrier approaching the entrance to Pearl. It's crude but usable by piloted aircraft.

Those who enjoy a taste of the Golden Age in Hawaii will love this scenery as is, and those who have a Golden Wings installation will find it worth the few minutes to make it a permanent addition.

Those with a compulsion to tinker and a craving for a bit more authenticity can replace the carrier with one of Paul Clawson's movable flattops (and perhaps moor a copy of his USS Iowa in the harbor), make a rough approximation of Hickam Field, and replace the AI with planes typical of the 1940-41 period.

I can't recommend this scenery strongly enough, either in stock form of as a basis for modification, to anyone who likes the old planes enough to run Golden Wings, or even those who just like the occasional dose of retro-ness.

And if you like Golden Hawaii, don't miss the Classic Goose package, featuring Cutter's Goose, Cutter's cronies (including his sidekick Corky, his girlfrield the spy, and that one-eyed bull terrier co-pilot) and the Marivellas Islands in the South Pacific, complete with clandestine Japanese air bases with AI Zeroes and Bettys. But I digress...

As promised above, here's how to make GH permanent without affecting anything else in your FS world:

Permanent Golden Hawaii:

With Golden Hawaii active, go to the scenery\ocen\scenerytb folder and copy all BGLs EXCEPT those listed below into the scenery folder.

AB903230
    AB904290
    AB905240
    AB905350
    AB905380
    AB905390
    AB906240
    AB906250
    AP903230
    AP904290
    AP905240
    AP905350
    AP905380
    AP905390
    AP906240
    AP906250
    AT9OCEN1
    BR9OCEN0
    BR9OCEN1
    FL903230
    FL904290
    FL905240
    FL905350
    FL905380

FL905390
    FL906240
    FL906250
    FL986260
    HL903230
    HL904290
    HL905240
    HL905350
    HL905380
    HL905390
    HL906240
    HL906250
    Honolulu
    HP903230
    HP904290
    HP905240
    HP905350
    HP905380
    HP905390
    HP906240
    HP906250
    kilauea
    NV9OCEN0
    oahuTL
    OB9OCEN0
    RD903230
    RD904290
    RD905240
    RD905350
    RD905380
    RD905390
    RD906240
    RD906250
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Delete any other Add-On Hawaii Sceneries !!!!!!!!!
    eg., FSG Hawaii or Airports. (You can keep your high def mesh.)

Mick, I remember doing this with an old install years ago. Once you copy the files, what do you do with them?

I've been wanting to do this to my GW install for a while now. And the Classic Goose install as well. I used to fly those islands quit a bit, but in the Golden Hawaii Sikorsky S43 instead of the Goose.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Mick, I remember doing this with an old install years ago. Once you copy the files, what do you do with them?

I've been wanting to do this to my GW install for a while now. And the Classic Goose install as well. I used to fly those islands quit a bit, but in the Golden Hawaii Sikorsky S43 instead of the Goose.

Copy them into scenery\ocen\scenery. At least, that's how I interpret the instructions. I believe that's how I did it when I set up my current GW3 on my current confuter last winter. Just back up the entire scenery\ocen folder just in case my memory has failed me - and if it has, please let me know so I can update my instructions file!

Easy enough to test - make the changes, check to see that Golden Hawaii is there, then check to see if New Zealand or anywhere else in Oceania is still there. If nothing is missing, you have a permanent Golden Hawaii and the rest of the Pacific is present too.

I see that I no longer have a scenerytb folder at all, so I guess that can be deleted. That would make your permanent GH really permanent.

As for the Marivellas, there's nothing special to do when you install the Classic Goose package. Bill put the Marivellas in an otherwise empty piece of the vast Pacific, so there's no conflict with anything else. If you still have my USS Lexington World Cruise installed, you'll find the Lady Lex approaching the Marivellas from the south. You can launch from her to scout the secret Japanese bases, or you can take off from one of those bases in your favorite Japanese recce plane and scout for the Lex.

Let us know if the permanent GH directions work as well as I think they will.

Kellet KD-1 repaints for Golden Age Hawaii

Well now if your not to fixated on HISTORIAL ACCURACY, see the below pictures:

please let me know if your interested in any of these old girls.
    Take care.

Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kellet-1.jpg   Kellet-2.jpg  

Hi fellows

I am not very active on the site, but I am a great fan of Bill Lyons, and especially Golden Hawaii, Golden Wings and Classic Goose. I find that some of the best places to be. If someone cannot find the files, there is still a site hosting the legacy: http://oldhangararchive.jrwilliamsart.us/
    I will try what the permanent installation improves, but I would welcome the help of anyone to place the Oklahoma in Pearl Harbour.
    There is one little thing that bugs me, and that is the addon scenery that makes a base for the Clippers.
    If I have that active all textures go to low resolution, while I think this base was a beautifull addition.
    Does anyone have a solution for that?
    Flip
    P.S. the Florida files of MoCat are also fantastic

or the Scotland files from Froggy, not to mention Tom Constantines work.
    But what went wrong? where have these people gone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2Clippers.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edmoore235 View Post
    Well now if your not to fixated on HISTORIAL ACCURACY, see the below pictures:

please let me know if your interested in any of these old girls.
    Take care.

Ed

MMMMMM!
    What a pretty little autogyro - they can be great fun to fly!

Ed: Just thinking; the Golden Age Hawaii scenery you mentioned would also provide a splendid backdrop for Milton's awesome looking Grumman Mallard when the time comes.
    Thank you so much for the many generous contributions from yourself and team.

Of course we're interested in these pretty damsels!!!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Charter Member 2016
    It's still in the Avsim and Flightsim libraries... I just checked. No reason to be worried about hosting it somewhere new.
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

I'm still enjoying Golden Wings very much. The late 1930s is my favorite period of aviation. Last October/November, we ran a London to Melbourne race event based on the 1934 MacRobertson race, but set in 1938. I flew the Warwick Carter Gee Bee Z in it and my current GW flying is taking it back to the start via the rest of the way around the world. (I flew it to Mildenhall from Springfield Mass before the race ever started)

But what went wrong? where have these people gone?
    Most retired from creating FS Addons. Unfortunately the Golden Age of Aviation has a somewhat limited audience. I drift away from it now and again, but it keeps pulling me back. I keep checking the major sites for stuff I can use in Golden Wings. I just did a major drag through FlightSim's library this morning and have a bunch of goodies to install. That's the great thing about FS, there's always something you can tweak.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Blog Entries

Visionary

I believe the developers involved in projects such as Golden Age Era probably visualized what could be a totally new sim experience.

The concept is entirely viable for both FS2004 and X, and would evolve as a truly new Flight Simulator. It would be a truly massive undertaking, but ahhh!..what if?
    As Willy rightly reminds us, it's probably targeted towards a limited audience.

But there are those of us who live in hope, and I might add with much gratitude; the inspired work of good folk such as that seen here by Ed Moore, Garry Smith and Tom Gibson at Calclassics is a brave inspiration and example to us all :-)

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

Very interested Ed! VERY!

I added some more AFD and AI to the Oklahoma Air Race.

Here an AI Curtiss following the train and ...

barnstorming - still as AI.

Bernard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12498067394_c950e54d66_b.jpg   10419569664_96fbf59427_b.jpg   10419549166_e04d7920fd_b.jpg  

Got it set-up! SWELL but ......

Very fun scenery and aircraft but the aircraft CFG for the Kellet required many
    adjustments: Max & Min weights, too low and reversed - 355/544 not correct.
    Engine power way off, 24 HP and 4 cylinders - so, I have an adjusted
    "aircraft.cfg " if anyone wants it. PM me and it is yours. Also created
    a third PANEL for use in Garry's repaints (12 of them). Everything else is
    great and working well - so far!
    Take care.

Ed

Members who have read this thread: 0