IRIS FSX Freeware

Thread: IRIS FSX Freeware

IRIS FSX Freeware

I was just talking about the former-payware Texan and Pilatus from Iris to someone who pointed out that the links on the Iris site are not working.

Obviously it is up to any developer to decide when, how long or if they make old payware freely available, so this is not a gripe but does anyone know if this is a policy decision or a website glitch?

I tried to look round their website but it is not the easiest to navigate or read.

I do not want to share exe files with anyone for anything that Iris do not want let loose in the wild.

I'd say they're just broken links. Most of them work.

The freeware files are not available currently from the IRIS Website, partly to reduce confusion between the availability in our new commercial PC-9/A and upcoming T-6/B Texan II and the older freeware versions which are miles apart in terms of quality and functionality.

They're still freeware though, and we're happy for people to continue to share them accordingly and upload the files to your favourite website providing no charge is made for accessing them and the files remain the same as the original installers we distribute.

I hope that helps clear things up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Would love to have that freeware F-16D
    Be yourself by yourself, stay away from me

Pantera

Was never made freeware Dave...sorry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

David, do you plan to do any updates on the freeware native FSX Phantom ? I would be happy to pay for it if it gets a VC.

Maybe down the line as and when I get some free time. No plans to do a full commercial grade one though, there's some good Tooms out there already.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

David, thanks for your response. I always liked the Rolls Royce Spey powered F-4's so until someone makes a new one for FSX/P3D I will keep the IRIS model, even if it is unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Was a subtle hint/wish lol

Pantera

Is the F-16D still available on the Iris store?

Quote Originally Posted by assassinezzio View Post
    Is the F-16D still available on the Iris store?
    No, IRIS is no longer contracted to distribute the product. Afaik it is not sold anywhere else.

Smudge (DB), I'm only a consumer and don't know about the specifics behind the -16 deal, but I hope in the future if you ever have time with your small team to re-look at updating the Viper for P3D in that case Tacpack. I know there is interest on the VRS forums given how iconic with continued worldwide usage of the type that Iris would have a real winner. I have both payware 16's and spent several hundred hours flying your version over a MP environment in my previous USAF based VA. We chose the model based on the depth of the avionics and compatibility with 3rd party Tacpack-ish software. I'm happy with the updates to the A-10 given that there is a hard-core study sim out.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Smudge (DB), I'm only a consumer and don't know about the specifics behind the -16 deal,
    From what I recall the original developer took his model with him when he left IRIS, that's why they no longer sell it.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Sorry to hijack this thread. It's about the freeware 'Iris Easter Eggs 2013' Bombardiers (Global Express, CRJ-200, CRJ-900, Sentinel). They are still available here:
    http://www.irissimulations.com.au/ha...ster-eggs-2013

As clearly stated by Iris back in 2013, these Easter Eggs were released 'as is' without support nor updates. That is quite alright for freeware aircrafts. Thanks to Iris for releasing them in the first place.

I like so much the CRJ-200 that I've made 2 repaints for my personal use (so far), UTair and Lufthansa. I'm using the default CRJ-700 virtual cockpit, and I'm quite happy with the result. I've noticed a small glitch in the exterior model though, the cockpit is not textured, and it spoils a bit the fun when viewing the CRJ cockpit from the outside. So I decided to darken a bit the cockpit windows. I've used the MDLMatXX tool (MDL Material Editor by Martin Wright) to tweak some internal values, and it does improve the CRJ. I'd like to know if I could upload my repaints (here at SOH to begin with) with this modified MDL file (CRJ200_FSX.MDL) and proper credits, since the receipe to darken the glass is a bit complicated...

Scenery: Saint-Petersburg Pulkovo by 'Project ULLI' (avsimrus) and Rugen by Thomas Zipfel (FTX freeware)

CRJ-200 paintkit by AJ Cook (iris_crj200_paintkit.zip @ avsim)

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Smudge (DB), I'm only a consumer and don't know about the specifics behind the -16 deal, but I hope in the future if you ever have time with your small team to re-look at updating the Viper for P3D in that case Tacpack. I know there is interest on the VRS forums given how iconic with continued worldwide usage of the type that Iris would have a real winner. I have both payware 16's and spent several hundred hours flying your version over a MP environment in my previous USAF based VA. We chose the model based on the depth of the avionics and compatibility with 3rd party Tacpack-ish software. I'm happy with the updates to the A-10 given that there is a hard-core study sim out.
    I personally would love to do a new F-16 for TacPack, though we've always been discouraged due to the strong following with BMS and other hardcore F-16 sims on the market. That being said, it didn't stop us doing the A-10..lol.

Who knows, at the moment we've got about 4 projects in front of us needing development, so it would be a way off anyway.

Ferry, in answer to your statement, we made the choice to remove the Viper from sale and advised Michael accordingly, not the other way around. He had moved on prior to that decision being made anyway. Needless to say, we can't put it out freeware as we don't have a current licence to all the content in the product.

vonstroheim, feel free to do as you've asked, it's great to see such a fanbase on the CRJ, it's just a shame we weren't able to fulfill our original vision for the product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I personally would love to do a new F-16 for TacPack, though we've always been discouraged due to the strong following with BMS and other hardcore F-16 sims on the market. That being said, it didn't stop us doing the A-10..lol.
    My philosophy on addon aircraft buying is if it looks as real as you can get it IE opposite of Abacus and it's an aircraft i want in my inventory IE F-16D then i will buy it.....others may vary.

PS...didn't buy it first time around because i was in a bad situation. Now i'm out.

Pantera

Thanks for the clarification - and of course the generosity in making the packages available as freeware.

Members who have read this thread: 2