I have become a believer... P3D is the way forward! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have become a believer... P3D is the way forward!

I ended up downloading the individual files for the Academic version, after trying to download the "all-in-one" zip 4 times. After uninstalling V2.4, it installed seamlessly. First flight (default) was blown away. Will be reloading most stuff this coming weekend. No more FSX purchases for me. No dual load purchases such as A2A offers, either. P3Dv2 ONLY from now on!! Goodbye FSX!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I ended up downloading the individual files for the Academic version, after trying to download the "all-in-one" zip 4 times. After uninstalling V2.4, it installed seamlessly. First flight (default) was blown away. Will be reloading most stuff this coming weekend. No more FSX purchases for me. No dual load purchases such as A2A offers, either. P3Dv2 ONLY from now on!! Goodbye FSX!
    I agree wholeheartedly! FSX-Steam was a nice try, but it will never come close to P3D v2.x! And at least you don't have to go through steam, which I hate with a vengeance. The only reason it resides on my rig is called Cliffs of Dover...

Johan

Well good luck to all you Professionals, Developers and (mostly) Academics - have fun.......nono, sorry, not fun, I didn't mean fun......

Well, P3d actually cost less than many fs addons so it should be in easy reach for most I think as a natural evolution from FSX. That was the reason behind sharing my p3d experience so far. It is just to good to not tell the other people here at the soh.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

At first I thought, doesn't P3D have its own forum here at SOH. Then I realized that it does have its own forum, but with P3D being such a limited market the post would probably not be noticed.
    Mike Mann

Well, I think you all have finally sold me on it. Will have some spare time in a week or so and will convert myself then!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I'm waiting for the Superbug, and then I'll be making the leap. In the meantime, I refuse to torture myself by installing it and experiencing how awesome it is. lol

Very much looking forward to the F-18F myself too which I understand will be in the next release. It looks much better than the E in my eyes...

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

You may as well get it now if you can! because you'll want to fine tune the settings to make it as smooth as butter before you install the Super Bug and TacPack...get acquainted with P3D's idiosyncrasies...then all you will have to do is install and fly!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Once I can afford to build a new PC, I'll be making the move to P3D. I've been looking forward to being able to use it for some time now, as the whole "atmosphere" of it looks like it really adds to the immersion factor.

As developers, we've been watching (very VERY closely) just how much of the market is P3Dv2. At this point, it looks like it is about 25% and rising steadily.

We have also watch the release of FSX Se with great interest. That one, however, isn't having such a big effect yet. Perhaps later but for now, it is looking like people mostly bought it to have a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by mmann View Post
    At first I thought, doesn't P3D have its own forum here at SOH. Then I realized that it does have its own forum, but with P3D being such a limited market the post would probably not be noticed.
    Many of us tend to post over here because it's more active. The P3D Forum is quiet because everyone is too busy flying in this amazing world to bother posting, lol.

That is so true! I haven't time to do any work... to much not having fun! P3Dv2.5 did it to me this time around!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

No joy on my end with P3D.. Low frames, stuttering, etc. Pulled most everything back a bit.. Nothing over 24 frames but a time or two at 34.. Nothing installed.. vanilla.

On the other hand, the new rig I built runs FSX much better than expected.. 30 frames pretty solid, fluid movement with high settings.

Just goes to show nothing is perfect...

Very glad I only purchased the 10 a month thing...

If you're happy with what you see in FSX, then that's where you should stay.

I bought P3D at v2.1. I have downloaded v2.5 but will wait another week or so before I install it.
    By P3D v2.3 I was 95% P3D and 5% FSX. With v2.4 i am 100% P3D. It's the future and dealing with
    LM vs MS has been a dream!

CK
    Flying Canada's "Left Coast"

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Many of us tend to post over here because it's more active. The P3D Forum is quiet because everyone is too busy flying in this amazing world to bother posting, lol.
    Well, go on, make it a bit more active over there! This thread is out of place here. I want to read about FSX stuff here, not about P3D. Really mr. moderator, can you relocate this thread?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    The academic license. It is just so great, so smooth and looking so good!
    Jens-Ole, going back as long as we do I put a great deal of trust in your decisions. What OS are you running P3D on and where did you install it (path)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hdguy View Post
    No joy on my end with P3D.. Low frames, stuttering, etc. Pulled most everything back a bit.. Nothing over 24 frames but a time or two at 34.. Nothing installed.. vanilla.

On the other hand, the new rig I built runs FSX much better than expected.. 30 frames pretty solid, fluid movement with high settings.

Just goes to show nothing is perfect...

Very glad I only purchased the 10 a month thing...
    Remember that the sliders in P3D do not represent the same multiplication of settings as do the FSX counter parts. So increasing the sliders in P3D to where you think they should be based off of your previous FSX settings will actually get most into trouble. For most users who could get by with an adequate GFX card with FSX because the processor was a beast will find that they don't necessarily get the same performance out of P3D. Hardware Tessellation is a huge thing in P3D, in fact so much so that unless you do have a more robust gfx card you may in fact experience worse performance overall. Not sure what you have, but I would try again and work your way up slowly until you find a good balance between your CPU and GFX card for a smooth operation in P3D...once you do, it very rarely deviates from the FPS you are experiencing no matter the scenery etc. There is a "dance" so to speak...but it's new steps vs. FSX.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Remember that the sliders in P3D do not represent the same multiplication of settings as do the FSX counter parts. So increasing the sliders in P3D to where you think they should be based off of your previous FSX settings will actually get most into trouble. For most users who could get by with an adequate GFX card with FSX because the processor was a beast will find that they don't necessarily get the same performance out of P3D. Hardware Tessellation is a huge thing in P3D, in fact so much so that unless you do have a more robust gfx card you may in fact experience worse performance overall. Not sure what you have, but I would try again and work your way up slowly until you find a good balance between your CPU and GFX card for a smooth operation in P3D...once you do, it very rarely deviates from the FPS you are experiencing no matter the scenery etc. There is a "dance" so to speak...but it's new steps vs. FSX.
    Something else that maybe some first timers may not understand is that having "Tessellation" checked is a necessity. That moves all control of texture management to the GPU and removes it from the CPU. . .opening up the CPU to handle other functions in the sim. It's why a graphics card with at least 2gig is also a necessity. Anything less and your performance will likely suffer.

Something else that maybe some first timers may not understand is that having "Tessellation" checked is a necessity. That moves all control of texture management to the GPU and removes it from the CPU. . .opening up the CPU to handle other functions in the sim. It's why a graphics card with at least 2gig is also a necessity. Anything less and your performance will likely suffer.
    OK...so in theory I'll be fine...with a GTX980 ....the 16 'cores' of the 5960 can relax a bit...

Indeed, that and untick bathymetry. If you don't plan on driving submarines, it is useless and it takes a big hit on performance.

But except for the fluidity and stability of the new sim, the lighting, shadowing and overall image sharpness are something that FSX will never have. Remember that LM got into this game for professional reasons: building a sim for the customers who also buy airplanes. So where FSX is just entertainment, P3D is a professional sim.

I'm awed though by the percentages that Katoun mentionned: 25% marketshare after such a short period is immense!

For those who might consider moving on to the darkest side, make sure your GFX card is DX11 compatible! And like Falcon says: 2Gb is an absolute minimum!

Johan

Personally, I'm going to stick with my FSX setup as have it the way that I want it, with photographic scenery and autogen of my home area, in which I fly in real life. I purchased an Academic license on behalf of the Museum at which I volunteer as there it would be an educational item on which to instruct budding pilots (young and old), but its not for me.

The Shadows are lovely, but I fear that my configuration as it stands won't transfer over or the aeroplanes that I fly wont be compatible etc and so will remain with the older simulator. This again, will probably be my last version of any kind, as am now getting back into the real thing and can't see any reason to upgrade as am perfectly happy with what I have.

For those that take their simulations seriously, I truly believe that this is the future.

Happy Landings,

Martin

I've been using P3dv2 since release. FSX is only still installed as TacPack isn't P3d ready yet. As soon as it is, then goodbye FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Well, go on, make it a bit more active over there! This thread is out of place here. I want to read about FSX stuff here, not about P3D. Really mr. moderator, can you relocate this thread?

Cees
    I think we can give them a little leeway Cees It is interesting for some of us FsXers to see what it could become in the guise of P3D and after reading how relatively stable P3Dv2.5 is, I may opt to go that way myself in the not too distant future. I want and extra SSD and a 4 gig video card first though.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Members who have read this thread: 3