Green Shine on DC3

Thread: Green Shine on DC3

Green Shine on DC3

I have been experimenting with different GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds files (some have different file sizes) and I get this green sheen on top of the fuselage
    any suggestions on how to get rid of that. It depends on the lighting as to what kind of reflection I see.

Last edited by gray eagle; February 14th, 2015 at 17:42.

Blog Entries
    Repost that image Eagle...I want to have a look. It may be the specular file....
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

I've changed to a different GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds hence the green is not there, there still is a slight two tone shine effect if viewed from the top as in this pic.
    From the side the two tone is not as noticeable.

Blog Entries
    Yep...the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome map you were using has a strong color shift. Changing the map to a different file will give you a different spectrum.

The two tone shine can be fixed by changing the bump map.

While the painter addresses the bump map issue for his skin, you can remedy your personal file by replacing the bump map with one from one of my previous skins.
    Note that this is a temporary fix, as I don't wish to disrespect the author of your skin.

Note: Screen cap is WIP skin/bumpmap upgrade to be released when the vintage cockpit is released. Hi def textures will be 4096 32bit.dds
    [IMG]http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab202/********/P3D%20v2/Simmersion4D/Simshots_15_zpsvqv5ahs9.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by gman5250; February 14th, 2015 at 21:38.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Which one of your previous skins do I use to replace the bump map with ?
    For that matter, which bump map(s) do I use ?

EDIT: I took a swag and guessed you are referring to the files c47_1_T_bump.dds & c47_2_T_bump.dds files, so I replaced them from another shiny repaint and it looks like same results
    (sort of). When I pan to the sides and front, the two tone is not as noticeable and the overall effect looks okay till I view it from the top.

Last edited by gray eagle; February 15th, 2015 at 05:52.

I'm not sure why GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds looks like this, multi squares with pictures in each of them.......

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I'm not sure why GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds looks like this, multi squares with pictures in each of them.......

Because it is a cube map.

Imagine yourself inside a cube, with different pictures on all 6 surfaces. Now unfold that cube and lay it flat. That is a cube map.

Note that I have not looked at the plane or the textures yet have to wonder if you should be talking about the spec textures instead of the bumps.

cheers,
    Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    Because it is a cube map.

Imagine yourself inside a cube, with different pictures on all 6 surfaces. Now unfold that cube and lay it flat. That is a cube map.

Note that I have not looked at the plane or the textures yet have to wonder if you should be talking about the spec textures instead of the bumps.

cheers,
    Lane
    I brought this up because

A. I used different "Cube Maps" and got different reflective results

B. Because of A., I wanted to look inside one out of curiosity.

C. I figure it doesn't hurt to ask - does it?

Thanks for your informational response.

BTW I still don't know what the specific bumps in aformentioned post ^ are.......

I did find a cubemap generator here

Blog Entries
    The file you want is MJ C-47 Texture Basepak.zip. You can find it in the Warbirds Library/FSX Skins/FSX Military Skins-General. Sort by "Hits Overall", the pack should be at the top of the list.

Make a backup copy of your current aircraft texture folder.

Download the entire package and unzip.
    Navigate to folder; MJ C-47 Texture Basepak and open.

Find the folder(s): texture.clean

Copy files :

C47_1_T_BUMP.dds
    C47_1_T_spec.dds
    C47_2_T_BUMP.dds
    C47_2_T_spec.dds
    GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds
    fresnel_ramp.dds

Paste these into your the texture folder for the aircraft that you are showing here and overwrite the existing files if prompted.
    If your aircraft texture files are DXT.bmp format, delete the .bmp files that correspond to the files named here.

Have a look at the aircraft in the sim and see if the display issue is cleared up. Post up a shot...I'd like to see it.

Remember, this is a patch to get your DAK flying and not intended to modify the original artists work.
    Let me know how things turn out for you.

Edit: I just downloaded your skin and applied the fix I've detailed here. It works.
    I also noted that the aircraft.cfg file data is not pointed at Manfred's new model

The code should read:

[fltsim.XX]
    title=Douglas C-47 NATS
    sim=Douglas_DC3_v1.2
    model=C47R_2

panel=
    sound=TW
    texture=NATS
    kb_checklists=Douglas_DC3_check
    kb_reference=Douglas_DC3_ref
    atc_id=50819
    atc_id_color=0xffffffff
    ui_manufacturer="Douglas"
    ui_type="C-47"
    ui_variation=NATS
    ui_typerole="Twin Engine Prop"
    ui_createdby=Manfred Jahn
    description=
    Last edited by gman5250; February 15th, 2015 at 14:05.
    Thomas Jefferson

Nice Shine

Wow Gman, I think this looks a LOT better, what do you think?

I snapped overhead shots were you could readily see where the two tones would meet, Now it looks seamless, at least to me.
    Thank you very much for your help!!

Blog Entries
    Yep...looks like you got it.

Remember to update the author of the skin regarding the changes.

Enjoy your DAK...looks great.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gman,

I shared your helpful info with the author as he and I were trying to fix the issue and couldn't quite crack that nut.
    Maybe he will repackage it and then repost it as a correction to his first post. It's amazing to me how a few different files
    were able to correct this.

Many thanks again,

Blog Entries
    Let the painter know he has permission(s) to use the files I've provided.

My original PK and skins also have these files included. All painters are welcome to use the files.

You're welcome Gray Eagle.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post

My original PK and skins also have these files included. All painters are welcome to use the files.

Okay I will.

Thanks again.

Using the clean texture

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post

Hi Gman,

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see if I could make an entry in the aircraft.cfg file adding the clean texture you mentioned ^ . On it's own, it looks jet black. Why is that?
    I remember that there were a couple of files that I had to use from the clean texture and dump them into the two tone shiny exterior to fix.

Now I noticed that there are blank metal and metal boots textures and silver cloud thatl have the polished exterior. I looked at those files using DXTBMP and it looks like there is a bit of gray shading
    on the silver cloud one. Just wondering what it is about it all that makes for the super polished looked on the exterior. If I were to make a repaint of a chrome texture, what do you suggest
    to use as a template?

Thanks

Butch

Members who have read this thread: 1