There's Nothing Like Fresh Mesh ... - Page 8
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: There's Nothing Like Fresh Mesh ...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Been reading up on this plane just a bit. The initial cost for the radial powered version of the Mallard was around $115,000 per copy, but the PT-6 Turboprop version went for a cool $4 million. There were only 3 countries that flew the Mallard in the "civil" role, Australia, Canada and the US. Egypt was the only country to use the Mallard in a Military role.
    Was just Googling the Mallard in anticipation of when this fine model will be finished, and looks like there was at least one used in the civil role in Japan:

Look for Nitto Aviation photo here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_G-73_Mallard (although it shows a U.S. registry number???)

and a Mallard accident description that occurred in Japan in 1964 with a Japanese registration number: http://aviation-safety.net/database/...?id=19640218-1

Personally, I'll be flying the Mallard in Alaska/Yukon Territory/B.C. when she's finished. I've fallen in love with flying the float planes and amphibians in real time weather under the worst conditions I can find!

Wish I had the skills to contribute something to this project but all I can say is "thank you" to those who are making the Mallard happen!

Bill

Very odd jobs man and MiGaholic
    I got bored with little details so decided too splash some colour here's a wip picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mallard_wip_7.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I got bored with little details so decided too splash some colour here's a wip picture.
    That looks great Steve

I have made the nose gear change and will get the model exported later today.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Oh my dear. I just love the "kit" approach here with each installment just making it better and better. That paint scheme looks the bee's knees ..
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Here is an updated Mallard model replacement folder.

Also change these 2 statements in the aircraft.cfg Geometry section:

spoiler_limit=0.001000

spoiler_handle_available=1

Changes: 1) improved OH switch bases 2) ability to show/hide yokes 3) preparatory changes for top of nacelles to add exhaust headers 4) fix nose tire show thru
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Grumman Mallard Flight Models Update - Milton Shupe June 28, 2015

The FS9 and FSX FM's are contained in the attached as replacements for your current WIP releases.

These FM's continue to evolve and I believe this is a nice improvement over the original preliminary work you have.

Feel free to post feedback by PM or Email.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks for the updates, Milton. Reckon it's time for another re-fit, as it were.

Steve's progress with the texturing is coming along very nicely too. She's gonna be a real beauty!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Here is a quick piccie of the current state of play with the N1888T scheme that I am using too test my layered masters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mallard_wip_8.jpg  

Steve, that is looking great. Thank you for your persistence on this.

I am wondering about the nose mapping, if I should have done that differently to make any nose crossing painting easier. If you have any suggestions for improvement, I will gladly make the changes. The issue was raised on the FSX native project; I suggested that they remap as necessary.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Hi Milton, I only got too the nose last night, it is a challenge too add the go faster stripes, but haven't had the time too have a good go at it yet. Let me get back too you over the weekend once I've had a think and a proper play with it.

Steve

Superb looking paint Steve!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Hi Milton, I only got too the nose last night, it is a challenge too add the go faster stripes, but haven't had the time too have a good go at it yet. Let me get back too you over the weekend once I've had a think and a proper play with it.

Steve
    End of the top mapping for the bow warps aggressively as it folds down over the bow where the two sides meet... pretty impossible to get a straight line as its mapped from above, and trying to draw downwards. (My observations on the fsx side)

SOH-CM-2020
    Wow

I've been gone a month ( on vacation to the US west coast ) and missed the 'launch' of this classic Mallard.

My computer is sick and won't start most days, so even fiddling in the sim causes things to freeze.

While you guys are having fun flying the Mallard, I have something to keep me going .....

While visiting Victoria (CYYJ) I had the pleasure of seeing one of the few airworthy Mallards (N54GZ) up close.

It is magnificent, both inside and out.

Pete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1556.jpg   20150523_101824_LLS.jpg  

Hi Pete :-) Welcome back home. Hope your vacation was thoroughly enjoyable. I talked to Eric today about "54". She is in fact a beautiful craft.

Well, we do have a WIP release but quite a bit to be done yet but she is shaping up.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

And I'm back, sorry got distracted over the weekend, ate something that didn't agree with me and been having a go at the world record for projectile vomiting ( the jury is still out on my attempt and refuse too come back until the all clear is sounded). As for the Mallard, The nose area does pull down badly, not just making straight lines difficult it doesn't like bent lines either. It could do with remapping.

Another area of concern is on the yoke (on ecubox template) I cannot get a Grumman logo on the yoke centre its way too small and all I can get is a blurred blue mess, is there any way you can remap this bit.

Steve

Welcome back; sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I'll take care of the remapping Sir. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mallard Aircraft.cfg updates for FS9 and FSX separately.

Changes affect emergency feather knobs, fuel pumps, starters, and master ignition switch.

Ensure that you use the correct one for your sim.

Thanks to Tako_Kichi and Firekitten for helping to identify these issues.

EDIT: Protect your existing cfg with a copy so that your [fltsim.nn] changes can be brought over.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Mallard Aircraft.cfg updates for FS9 and FSX separately.

Changes affect emergency feather knobs, fuel pumps, starters, and master ignition switch.

Ensure that you use the correct one for your sim.

Thanks to Tako_Kichi and Firekitten for helping to identify these issues.

EDIT: Protect your existing cfg with a copy so that your [fltsim.nn] changes can be brought over.

Hello Milton,
    Here's a start for Mallard, Milton I seek views to position the lines and rivets, would you say that?
    Again thank you for this beautiful aircraft.
    I also started to work on the Lockheed L18, C60
    Regards
    Marty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot682.jpg   screenshot705.jpg   screenshot706.jpg   screenshot691.jpg  

Looks gorgeous Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by ferondoe View Post

Hello Milton,
    Here's a start for Mallard, Milton I seek views to position the lines and rivets, would you say that?
    Again thank you for this beautiful aircraft.
    I also started to work on the Lockheed L18, C60
    Regards
    Marty
    Hi Marty, those look like fsx screenies too me are you painting for the fsx build or the fs9 build of the Mallard ?
    If fsx then Firekitten has been working on the masters if it's fs9 then I currently have some paintshop pro layered masters under construction, which I will gladly supply in there current state to anyone taking on the fs9 model. Please also be aware that Milton is remapping the nose section at the mo so you may have too redo or tweak your paints once this is done.

Steve
    Last edited by SteveB; July 9th, 2015 at 04:10. Reason: homer moment

That is beautiful Marty; great progress!

As Steve mentioned, I am about to remap a small piece of the nose section although it does not appear to affect your current work much.

I would like you and Steve to look at the 2 mapping options and give me your opinion on which to use.

Option 1 addresses the main issue which is the flat-like nose front part and I prefer this option. This will be mapped from the front, and added as a separate piece to the fuselage.bmp just in front of the Top section.

Option 2 is a bit overkill and may step on your existing work. As you can see it adds another section to the front facing map. The issue here are the angles of that second section Looking from above and this will cause some stretching in those areas.

You thoughts on this please.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    That is beautiful Marty; great progress!

As Steve mentioned, I am about to remap a small piece of the nose section although it does not appear to affect your current work much.

I would like you and Steve to look at the 2 mapping options and give me your opinion on which to use.

Option 1 addresses the main issue which is the flat-like nose front part and I prefer this option. This will be mapped from the front, and added as a separate piece to the fuselage.bmp just in front of the Top section.

Option 2 is a bit overkill and may step on your existing work. As you can see it adds another section to the front facing map. The issue here are the angles of that second section Looking from above and this will cause some stretching in those areas.

You thoughts on this please.
    Hello Milton,
    I prefer option1, and it does not matter if I get my texture.
    Milton thank you
    Regards
    Marty

Okay, I went with option 1.

Attached are 1) Replacement model folder, and 2) replacement 2048 templates for the fuselage and wings.

I have denoted the changes on each.

On the fuselage, I simply added the nose cap.

On teh wings bmp, I separately mapped the exhaust ports of the two engine nacelles so you may paint them darker.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Attached is an updated aircraft.cfg
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I can't keep up with all of these changes..... Prolly should oughtta wait until the plane gets closer to being ready for it's first FAA inspection. (Or CAA, depending on your location). I love watching the progress tho!

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Members who have read this thread: 0