Want to learn to build and convert aircraft

Thread: Want to learn to build and convert aircraft

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Want to learn to build and convert aircraft

I really want to learn how to convert FS9 aircraft to CFS3 and build cockpits also. Also, building from scratch, other aircraft not available any were else . What programs are needed to do this? Do you have to purchase them? Are there tutorials,PDF's and /or web sites that would help a newbee get started ? I think this would be a interesting hobby along with just playing combat flight sims . Any help or advice would appreciated .

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    I really want to learn how to convert FS9 aircraft to CFS3 and build cockpits also. Also, building from scratch, other aircraft not available any were else . What programs are needed to do this? Do you have to purchase them? Are there tutorials,PDF's and /or web sites that would help a newbee get started ? I think this would be a interesting hobby along with just playing combat flight sims . Any help or advice would appreciated .
    Hi Sixstrings,
    You can start with GMax that is included in FS9 package (I think also in CFS2 & 3 ones), it basically is a freeware and "Lite" version (without rendering) of the old 3DStudioMax R.4 (You can search for old 3DSMaxR4 manuals).
    With GMax You can make the models, but You must download from Microsoft the appropriate SDK (Software's Developers Kit) that comprehends also tutorials and examples for model exporting, every Simulator (FS9, CFS2, CFS3) needs its proper SDK.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info. Still in the dark about Gmax,(don't have FS9).Do you know if or were it can be downloaded safely from. Heard before,long ago, that Gmax is hard to use. Hope that's not the case. Is the other program mentioned,3DStudioMax R4, still available ? Were or if can it be downloaded . Any advice from O Wise Ones out there would be welcome here. Thanks again for the help mvg3d.

Gmax is at TurboSquid and is free. The CFS3 SDKs are here in the SOH library; see the sticky thread above. 3ds Max 4.2? Forget it, they're on to version 2015 now and you just don't want to know how much.

Gmax is not that hard to use (he says, more than five years later...) but there's a ton to learn and serious work is needed. Cue Yoda voice and Muppetry: Much patience do you need. Yes, hmmm? I'm afraid the forums are littered with the remains of would-be modellers who hoped a week or two would do.

Converting FS9 models to CFS3 is relatively straightforward if you have the source files for Gmax. If you don't, the ModelConverterX route is almost as much work as building from scratch. Shudders!

If you really want to learn there are people who will help, both here and at the Aircraft Modelling and Animation forum here at SOH.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Still in the dark about Gmax,(don't have FS9).Do you know if or were it can be downloaded safely from. Heard before,long ago, that Gmax is hard to use. Hope that's not the case. Is the other program mentioned,3DStudioMax R4, still available ? Were or if can it be downloaded . Any advice from O Wise Ones out there would be welcome here. Thanks again for the help mvg3d.
    Hi Sixstrings,
    If You don't have FS9 the only way You can obtain GMax is to ask a friend of Yours, or download it here :

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

R4 is a very old edition of 3DStudioMax, now the actual release is R12 (or 13) I suppose. I ignore if it is downloadable from websites. GMax isn't hard to use if You read the manuals...... Otherwise You can ask Your friends for the Abacus FSDS (FS Design Studio), it is a different program used by many developers.

http://www.abacuspub.com/

Blog Entries
    Converting FS9 models to CFS3 is relatively straightforward
    Big LOL!! That's made my morning Tom! :0) :0)

My advice would be to NOT start with an aircraft.

Model a simple house with chimneys out of blocks and cylinders and learn how to map it. Refer to the SDK and learn the naming conventions required and get it into cfs3. This can be achieved in a few evenings. PM me and I'll send you a finished gmax model to help show you how it's done.

I'm sure a lot of folks fail because they aim to high to begin with - unless your lucky and are blessed with a natural ability for this stuff (I'm not !).

Cheers,

Clive
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys. Will get started soon and try modeling something small.Baby steps first!!! Got to start somewhere i guess.Will get to work soon.

Thank you, ladeez and germs

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Big LOL!! That's made my morning Tom! :0) :0)

My advice would be to NOT start with an aircraft.

Model a simple house with chimneys out of blocks and cylinders and learn how to map it.
    Glad someone still laughs at 'em Clive! I'd forgotten some of the creeping horrors we looked at years back and they were best forgotten.

I second that advice, start small and work up from there.

FSDS from Abacus is not an option, it won't export to CFS3, sorry.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0