The last USN P3 Orions

Thread: The last USN P3 Orions

The last USN P3 Orions

Sadly, I read in the local paper, and saw on the news that the squadron flying the dozen or so P3 Orions was being deployed and would transition to the new P8 jets. I'll miss the rumble of the 4 turboprop ladies, and hope I can get used to the jet sounds, as I am on the flight path at JAX NAS for touch and go's when the wind is right.

Nothing lasts forever.
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

We'll still have the SH-60s to listen to
    Be yourself by yourself, stay away from me

Pantera

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSHQ View Post
    We'll still have the SH-60s to listen to
    Nope those are almost all phased out as well.. I think HSM-46, HSM-48, and HS-11 are the last of the legacy SH-60's.. Think by the end of the year all the legacy H-60's (as we call them will be gone). The squadron I just transferred from is one of only 2 left flying the HH-60H and they are shutting down by September, 30th. Now will just be all the new fangled glass cockpit MH-60's.

On a side note is a very sad time in US Naval Aviation... The last EA-6B's are going on their last CQ det before being decommissioned by May, and now the P-3's are almost done. Pretty soon will be nothing left of the good old Navy.
    Steve
    FSX Hours: 3000+

Quote Originally Posted by Roadburner440 View Post
    Nope those are almost all phased out as well.. I think HSM-46, HSM-48, and HS-11 are the last of the legacy SH-60's.. Think by the end of the year all the legacy H-60's (as we call them will be gone). The squadron I just transferred from is one of only 2 left flying the HH-60H and they are shutting down by September, 30th. Now will just be all the new fangled glass cockpit MH-60's.

On a side note is a very sad time in US Naval Aviation... The last EA-6B's are going on their last CQ det before being decommissioned by May, and now the P-3's are almost done. Pretty soon will be nothing left of the good old Navy.
    I would argue the good ole Navy began heading southward around 1992. SO glad I am retired. NC

I can't speak for the choppers(not knowing enough to make the call) but I think the P-8A and E/A-18G are highly capable and worthy replacements for the proven but Tired Iron. The one that does make me scratch my head is the C-2 replacement which they decided to go with the HV-22 to serve both in the COD and VR roles. Bad thing is, the CV-22 cannot carry the F-35's engine transport module but then again neither can the C-2. The C-3(S-3 conversion would have been able to carry that and much more and at a much lower overall cost but of course that option doesn't fit the Vertical Replenishment role at all.

Still, I agree that its sad to see the Old Iron go out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

makes me wonder if the C-2's will ever be used as warbirds?..does the Navy reliese aircraft for that sort of thing?..or will they need to be sold to private contractors ,works to death..and then be sold off to civilians?..

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

When I was in the NAVY I worked in anti-submarine warfare aboard ships. A couple of times while one of the ships I served on was in the yards at Hunters Point in San Francisco, the opportunity came up to go TAD flying P3-Orions on routine ASW patrols off west coast- monitoring sonabuoys and so forth. It was a treat. The P-3s squadron I flew with was housed in one of the old blimp hangars at Moffet Field. Sad to see them go.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Interesting, as I see P-3's doing ILS approaches and touch and goes as well as full stop landings all the time at the airport I work at here in NW Montana. Why are they still training? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    makes me wonder if the C-2's will ever be used as warbirds?..does the Navy reliese aircraft for that sort of thing?..or will they need to be sold to private contractors ,works to death..and then be sold off to civilians?..
    My guess is that the P-3's will be transferred to AMARC, where they will be preserved and parted out to keep the P-3's of other users flying. As for the C-2, The USN was and is the only operator, so unless they find suitable civilian or foreign sales, the bulk of them may end up a scrap metal.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

So you were not the guy constantly complaining at Jax for the loud P-3's off the departure end of runway 14? Spent most of my USN career on the sea wall, loved seeing the different types going to NADEP. Miss looking up to see what was coming into the overhead break, and laughed with a P-3 did!

Still have the EP-3's and USNR Orion to train on. For helos, my old squadron switched to the "S", changed homeport to North Island. Most of our sister squadrons besides -11 are in Norfolk now, which I hated going to from sunny FL.

For the CODs, straight to the boneyard. I realize the issues with the V-22 taking over, but there is a plan and one will just have to UNREP longer or make multiple trips if trying to COD/VOD in the NAG during the summer.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I would argue the good ole Navy began heading southward around 1992. SO glad I am retired. NC
    Yeah unfortunately I do not know the REAL Navy. Just based on what I know though this is another chipping away at what slivers remained. I sure do hear all the sea stories from what few people actually remain from those time frames, and even they are starting to trickle in to retirement.
    Steve

Are the VQ squadrons, i.e. VQ-1, transitioning to Poseidons as well? NC

Surface navy gutted also

Was on Navsource the other day, There are only five Perry class frigates left and no Spruance class destroyers.

Dave

Charter Member 2010
    Blog Entries
    There is only 1 Oliver Hazard Perry Frigate left in US Navy service, and it just left on its final deployment. The Spruance class was entirely wiped out by the time I came in (2003) as far as I recall. When I got to my first duty station at NS Mayport all I ever say was the OHP Frigates, the then brand spankin new Arleigh Burke Class Destroyers, and of course the USS John F. Kennedy.

As far as VQ goes I am not even going to guess, and that is beyond my scope being a rotary wing guy.
    Steve

Members who have read this thread: 1