Font advice

Thread: Font advice

Font advice

Hi Chaps,

I recently picked up the VS Bearcat and would like to give G-RUMM a go (currently flying with the Fighter Collection out of Duxford .. http://fighter-collection.com/cft/gr...8f-2p-bearcat/ ). She's been wearing the B fin code for as long as I can remember so that's the one I'll be going for. Painting American iron is pretty alien to me so any advice on the fonts needed for this paint will be most helpful. Alternatively.. if someone has already done this paint (I can't find one anywhere).. I'll be more than happy to use it instead

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I recently picked up the VS Bearcat and would like to give G-RUMM a go (currently flying with the Fighter Collection out of Duxford .. http://fighter-collection.com/cft/gr...8f-2p-bearcat/ ). She's been wearing the B fin code for as long as I can remember so that's the one I'll be going for. Painting American iron is pretty alien to me so any advice on the fonts needed for this paint will be most helpful. Alternatively.. if someone has already done this paint (I can't find one anywhere).. I'll be more than happy to use it instead

ATB
    DaveB

US Air Force font is called "Amarillo USAF" and can be found free of charge.

The US Navy font is a payware font called LongBeach USN that looks excellent. 20 bucks I think.

However, there is also a freeware USN font floating out there called USN Stencil that isnt as good as the payware font, but highly acceptable I think for your purposes.

Eric

Cheers Eric.. appreciate that

Were I to be painting a lot of these.. I'd certainly consider the payware Longbeach USN but this will likely be a one-off. I only bought the model to do this particular paint. In fact.. I was sure someone must have done it and they have but for the old Alpha model (which I use as AI).

As an aside.. I really like the VS model. The panel is a beaut.. wheel animation is a bit fast and it will run out of elevator authority surprisingly quickly but who cares at £5 (boxed) from Flightstore The PK is a bit odd.. the alpha's don't match the paint.. but I've already made my own so no problem there.

Tks again Eric.
    ATB
    DaveB

Eric, I've had a look and the font looks more like AmarilloUSAF from the photos. Don't know the history of the USN font or when it was designed or first used but, at a guess, the Navy initially used the same font as the Air force. If you don't have it Amarillo USAF is available here as a free download, otherwise a more up-to-date payware one is available from Tlai Enterprises who also sell Longbeach. But I've used the free one for years now and it will give you all you want for this paint at least.

Hope this helps

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Cheers Dave

I pulled what I thought were freeware versions of both fonts yesterday only to find they're shareware with a 30day limit. They're both from Tlai incidentally. I've noticed one oddity already. There's a rivet line on both sides of the fuse that have an angle which points fwd for a short while before returning to the vertical. The side numbers are being pushed fwd at that point too. Most odd. Never seen this happen over rivets before. As a consequence.. I think I'll have to scale the numbers down a bit to avoid the darned thing.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Cheers Dave

I pulled what I thought were freeware versions of both fonts yesterday only to find they're shareware with a 30day limit.
    Simmers Paintshop has access to the 1994 free version of AmarilloUSAF if you follow the link.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Here is usually where I go to find fonts for free and no pop ups: http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=...&fpp=50&text=6

Hope this helps.

Cheers guys.. appreciate it

ATB
    DaveB

SOH-CM-2024
    The Font is Long Beach and is Payware. Freeware USAF Amarillo is close, but not correct. The paint is Glossy Sea Blue, the HEX code for Photoshop or PSP is 2D373D. A PM will be forwarded to you.

Cazzie

Cheers Cazzie

TBH.. I don't think I'm going to be able to complete G-RUMM anyway. The PK is a nightmare.. many of the layers being groups and some have things attached that shouldn't be there. For example.. the canopy frame and surround are part of a bolts group (if I remember right) so if you remember those bolts.. you also remove the canopy frames. They can be painted back of course but this will require repainting every bolt and rivet Another issue (and a big one as far as G-RUMM is concerned) is the B on the fin. 'RUMM' has a huge B which on almost every other PK I can think of, would be painted 'whole'.. eg, B. Not so on this model.. the rudders live on another part of the map. You'd imagine it might be a straightforward job to put half the B on the fin and the other half on the rudder. Not so. Something is going on back there. Copying the same B to the rudder displays it markedly smaller in the sim. I've a feeling the Fin on the F8F-1 was stretched (rather than built) to make the F8F-2 causing all manner of abnormalities when markings of a certain size are applied. It's possible the rudder had a touch of stretching too. I've already put 3 days into what should have been an easy paint and I'm nowhere near finished

The paint sits slightly different on the F8F-1 but RUMM is a '2' so even if I get it to sit right.. it won't have machine gun barrels (which is a bonus as RUMM doesn't have them) but it'll have the wrong fin. A rock and a hard place.

ATB
    DaveB

Welcome to the world of:

'The Repainter'!!!

hahahahahaha

Oh.. I've painted plenty but few PK's/models have been as frustrating as this. The Nemeth/Milviz UH-1 comes close mind you. Pull down the opacity of the dirt layer and detail on the exhaust goes with it. Likewise, the Aerosoft Bronco where the registration and markings are merged with the rivet lines

Anyway.. drawn like a moth to a flame, I keep going back and chipping away. Here's how she is currently with some of the naughty bits skilfully hidden.

I'll keep going back as there are a few things visible (and not so visible) that need minor adjustment...
    ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 2