Video card question

Thread: Video card question

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Video card question

My computer power supply bit the dust , so i'm updating my Compac pc with a 550/650 watt power supply.Have 2 ea. hard drives,( one for cfs3).I need 4 gigs of ram and good video card with at least 2 gigs,running on xp 32 or 64 bit,(not sure),computer was given to me,as my old one's hard drive died .I will later build a pc with a mid/high line cpu, windows 7 64 bit pro and 16 gigs of ram and mid line,($400/500)video card for woff and rise of flight,eto1.50 and pto rising sun . What is good video card for xp 32/64 bit,p2 intel cpu ,(i think),for my other 12 cfs3 installs? Thanks for any help. I think i need a nvidia video card and DirectX 9.Looking to spend under $300 for video card. Also,what is a ATI graphics card? Should i get one of those too?To any of you computer gurus out there ,this dummy needs help and/or advise.Please help me,or i may have to go to a computer repair shop to get upgraded.
    Last edited by sixstrings5859; January 25th, 2015 at 00:27.

i use nvidia all the time which i never had any issue and compatibility with lot games including the old EAW for todays i guess lot to choose depends on what you need as gtx 650ti or 660 think it's enough for value under $200 and a bit new you can pick 750ti or 760 which i think the price close enough with 650ti/660

Blog Entries

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.I'm willing to spend a extra $100/200 more on a good video card , if XP can use it, because i know the computer ram is limited to 4 gigs with XP.Maybe then i can install CFS3-ETO 1.50 and PTO/PTO Rising Sun on my XP computer and run fine. Does that sound ok? Have read a lot of good reviews on Nvidia video cards. Thanks again buddy.

SOH-CM-2020
    Speaking of what XP can use, there was a thread a while back for a wee app which enables XP to use more than 2Gb of RAM. Very useful for CFS3. Anyone remember what it was called? Something like 4Gb extend..

Blog Entries
    I know what your talking about. CFS3-OFF uses it because CFS3 limits it's usage to 2 gigs of computer ram. The program allows CFS3 to use up to 4 gigs of computer ram. In my old age i forgot where i read it.

Blog Entries

found it

I found it here at SOH, but it's for 64 bit windows not 32 bit XP.

you can use some good small app like 4gb patch, LAA (large address aware), IMAGECFG (set proc affinity <== this one really helping me in speed up strike fighters loading menu and other FS) and additional app to add more performance like wise 365 and enditall i think it might be useful for xp 32bit

adding this one into boot.ini also useful:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional 4GB" /3GB /USERVA=4096 /FASTDETECT /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN
    Last edited by wiekniera; January 26th, 2015 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Thanks for the advice.I'm willing to spend a extra $100/200 more on a good video card , if XP can use it, because i know the computer ram is limited to 4 gigs with XP.Maybe then i can install CFS3-ETO 1.50 and PTO/PTO Rising Sun on my XP computer and run fine. Does that sound ok? Have read a lot of good reviews on Nvidia video cards. Thanks again buddy.
    hmm...if you want to spend more $$$ let say $200 for video card why just don't upgrading your MB & proc?? think it's more useful which can install both xp 32 and 64 cmiiw as i think FS series consumes more processor load than video card and also it didn't cause bottleneck on your system

Members who have read this thread: 0