JustFlight Canberra at a Give Away Price
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JustFlight Canberra at a Give Away Price

Blog Entries

JustFlight Canberra at a Give Away Price

The JustFlight Canberra PR9 is on sale for £19.99/$29.99. If I didn't already have it I'd be straight to there website. It's a truly great military add on.
    http://www.justflight.com/product/ca...PR9%20Download

Ian

I got it for about $18 during the Christmas sale. Even at $29 it's a bargain for the quality you get.

This is one of the best out there, especially the cockpit. A study aircraft, easy on the fps and has good sound.

One thing though, are there any repaints available somewhere?
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peg o my heart View Post
    This is one of the best out there, especially the cockpit. A study aircraft, easy on the fps and has good sound.

One thing though, are there any repaints available somewhere?
    Re-paints are always going to be rather limited for the PR9 simply because not that many were built with very few squadrons operating the photo recce type. I think the paint schemes included just about cover them all.

Ian

Yup.. I think the massive variations would come with the bombers. What comes with the model is a good representation for the PR9.

ATB
    DaveB

Giving this one REALLY hard consideration-- looks great (even saw a real PR9 back in '04 in the Middle East up close and personal). Does anyone know if JF is contemplating an EE Canberra bomber variant to this level of detail or even better (god forbid!) a B-57B/C/E aircraft?

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Does anyone know if JF is contemplating an EE Canberra bomber variant to this level of detail or even better (god forbid!) a B-57B/C/E aircraft?

Kent
    It would be great. As far as I know, their only plan for the PR9 is looking forward to releasing update which includes fde refinement especially (or solely) low speed rudder control.
    Intel i5-2500K - Zotac GTX 750 Ti - 4GB G-Skills - Gigabyte B75M - Simbada 500 W PSU - 17' LED

Okay, that's it-- I'm downloading the demo version (all up, but limited to an altitude of 1,000 feet) to check it out.

K

Does anyone know if JF is contemplating an EE Canberra bomber variant to this level of detail or even better (god forbid!) a B-57B/C/E aircraft?
    Why 'God forbid' a B-57 ? That implies that you hope they don't release one.

Sorry for the confusion-- I was being sarcastic. Actually, it means quite the opposite-- as I like to say: "Oh! Here's yet ANOTHER damned EE Canberra for FSX..." There have been countless ones, it seems. AFIK, only one payware EB/B-57B/C/E was ever done, and that one is the old Alpha model which was FS9 and is very loooong in the tooth and not up to today's standards-- even with Henry's repaints. My REAL dream is an EB-57 and a B-57B/C/E at the same level of quality as the JF PR9. The next best thing would be "...yet ANOTHER damned EE Canberra for FSX..." that is of the same quality as the PR9-- which I could use a repaint kit to do RB-57As, EB-57A, etc.

For the most part, I like the US variants of the "Cranberry" the most.

Gotta say though, after testing the PR9, it's awfully tempting...

Kent

. . . . . .For the most part, I like the US variants of the "Cranberry" the most. Gotta say though, after testing the PR9, it's awfully tempting. . .
    Kent
    Same here Kent, the PR9 is nicely done, but the B-57 is by far the one I'd jump at if it were available. As a general rule I only fly US Military aircraft. . .and I tried my best to get the AlphaSim model to play nice with P3D but aside from looking great while it's sitting parked. . .it's useless beyond that.

Ed,

Yup, I agree. I have to admit that at this point however, I would settle for an EE Canberra bomber version with tip tanks, and do some of the B/RB/EB-57A repaints...(lots of ANG units flew them in the late 1950s, early 1960s). Looking at the PR9, there seems to be some commonality-- but I suspect that's just visual. Another EE Cranberry would be a total rebuild for JF, I'm afraid.

Kent

The only downer I have found with the demo version of the JF PR9 is that on my rig, it seems to usually take a second or two for the VC textures to reload after viewing the craft from the outside. I am a constant "toggler" (switching from inside to outside spot view) when flying, so I find the 1-2 secs of "Pepto-Bismol" pink on the instrument panel (probably the 3DMax colors it was modeled in) before it will refresh, very annoying-- even with the latest NVidia driver installed it does it... I'm going to do some research and see if there is anything I can do to fix it from a rig-perspective before I take the plunge for this very gorgeous airplane.

Kent

On the JF Canberra support page they say this:
    "The VC loads up pink and the textures take a long time to load. This is normal. As the Canberra uses high detail textures in the cockpit, they take a little while to load up when you enter the VC".

It will be much less annoying if you change the diffuse color of the pink materials in the Canberra_PR9_VC.MDL file. I used the MDLMatXX tool to make them neutral grey (RGB 128).
    Last edited by hschuit; January 14th, 2015 at 03:08.

Wow-- despite looking (briefly) last night on their support page, I totally missed that piece of info about the pink. That settles that-- Let's hope the "soon to be released" F27 doesn't exhibit that same, eh...."feature"-- that would be....ah...."less than optimum", to put it kindly. Thanks again for the heads up.

Kent

Slow loading textures are always going to be problem if the aircraft uses many, high res textures. There are techniques to reduce this from a developer point of view, but that could increase VAS usage and lead to OOM problems if taken to extremes.
    For the end user, you could have a look at tweaking the "TextureMaxLoad" (not texture_max_load, that's a different setting!) entry in the fsx.cfg. I'm not sure if it's in there by default, but the "built in" value is 6. Increasing that can help with texture loading, depending on your system and other tweaks of course.

Good tip on using MDLMatXX to alter the material colours, BTW.

Hi all,
    We are just tinkering with a new model that will remove the pink colours that show when the textures are loading.
    Interestingly though, I've got a pretty decent PC here (but nothing ridiculous and no tweaks to FS) and I'm never able to see the pink areas - even when maxing out all the settings. As soon as we find someone who can verify that the new MDL has fixed it we will get it out to you.
    We will also be including the new FDE, a tweak to the positioning of the ground equipment and added Steam compatibility.

Thanks RAS...if it works, I'd be a definite buyer-- gorgeous model. BTW...maybe a Cranberry bomber variant in the future (tip tanks, please!)?

Still chomping at the bit for the F27, too...

Kent

Thanks RAS_JF, good to see confirmation that a 2nd service pack is underway. Earlier todayI posted a question about the status on the JF Canberra forum because I am hoping the packet flooding from looping key events issue can also be fixed.

It wasn't on our list of things to do. However, if you wouldn't mind sending me a copy of the events log you referred to on the forum then I'd be glad to have a look into it and see if we can sort it.

RAS_JF, PM with logfile & details sent, I appreciate it very much you are willing to look into this !
    Maybe it is a good idea to check the Tornado coding as well - it is on my shopping list.

Yup.. nice to hear another service pack is on the way AND there may be a way around the pink VC. I'm a constant 'in and outer' too and I found this a source of annoyance.. so much so that I don't have it installed on my current FSX. Hope to goodness the GR1 won't do it as it's also on my shopping list.

ATB
    DaveB

After I posted about the key events issue earlier today, RAS_JF did sent me a fix which successfully passed the test

An update for the Canberra has now been made available. Anyone who purchased from us will be getting an email with details shortly. You can also find details here - http://www.justflight.com/support/canberra-pr9

Hope to goodness the GR1 won't do it as it's also on my shopping list.
    It won't. Most of the changes in this service pack are fixes that we've learned about in the course of developing the Tornado. The Canberra was after all our first ever product so we've learned a few more tricks since then.

Excellent.. thanks for the HU

ATB
    DaveB

Members who have read this thread: 2