X-15A-2 Special Edition released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-15A-2 Special Edition released

X-15A-2 Special Edition released

Very interesting model from Xtreme Prototypes was just found by me to have been released. Looks complicated from the description.

http://xtremeprototypes.com/en/product_x15a-2_se.asp

- dvj

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Very interesting model from Xtreme Prototypes was just found by me to have been released. Looks complicated from the description.

http://xtremeprototypes.com/en/product_x15a-2_se.asp

- dvj
    Thanks for the heads up. I've been waiting for them to toss the 2D cockpit and provide a VC. Finally got my wish....

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Cant check any screenies, only thumbnails.

Btw. I like his models!

http://yoyosims.pl/fsx-bell-x-1-xtreme-prototypes
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Ok I see some of screenies in larger option (just click IMAGES in the main screen):

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

That really does look spectacular. The fact that they throw in the X-1 package for free is even better. Lot's of tempting switches and gizmos for us 'systems' fanatics...

What are the opinions from those who've purchased so far? The price is a little steep, but it does look very well done. I'm assuming lots of short, terrifying flights are to be made!
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mgchrist5 View Post
    That really does look spectacular. The fact that they throw in the X-1 package for free is even better. Lot's of tempting switches and gizmos for us 'systems' fanatics...

What are the opinions from those who've purchased so far? The price is a little steep, but it does look very well done. I'm assuming lots of short, terrifying flights are to be made!
    have not purchased yet, but I do have their Bell X-1 and it's quite excellent. Even comes with a B-29 carrier for simulated air drops. From the descriptions, this is definitely a systems sim and the screens look amazingly detailed.

Went to purchase as the product descriptions seem compelling. You can de-select the X-1 in the shopping card, dropping the X-15 price to a more reasonable $33. But then it reverted to $45 on the re-calc. weird.

-d

Charter Member 2012
    I made the same ordering mistake..... removed the complimentary X1, saw the price decrease, then paid full price for the pair. Perhaps Xtreme customer service will allow us to receive the X1 as that was part of this special.

For anyone interested in the X15 program, this is a spectacularly in-depth and visually impressive sim! I did one flight from Edwards up to 200,000+ ft, then landed in El Toro several minutes later. With "Auto Start" cheat, you still get to see all of the checklist items completed in real time in the cockpit, it's quite detailed. It did feel a bit "Evil Kneivel jumps the snake river-ish" without getting into what actually what is going on, but I'm inspired to dig and see how it all works. A rare thing in flight sim I think! Sub-orbital / thin atmosphere flight using gas thrust for control was convincing.....

Pics and further thoughts later...... tried it in P3D only, with ASN and REX soft clouds; very convincing view of earth and weather from 150k plus.

Oh my. That does look like spectacular! I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on such a beast though at that price since for me it's a niche aircraft. I'll watch the opinions and reviews for now.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Wow, I can't believe this just came up...I was just talking offline with odourboy (I think?) About how I'd love to see a new X-15 native for FSX/P3D! and Voila! I've been watching X-15 videos the past 3 days also...I literally an hour ago just reinstalled my X-15-2/3 haha! so that's very coincidental!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I'm very interested to see the depth of the systems...
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I had a buddy that has one and it was...deep. Oceanic. There's a quick start button but that's for those who want to pay 45 dollars to hear a rocket engine

I'm pretty sure than XP did again very good job. It isn't only addon too, its a big part of aviation history. I like this kind od spirit in addons to our sim.
    Feedback? Will be difficult from one week after, I think its a addon for learning of all systems ect. more than 1 week but for example for X-1 XP did very good manual and scenarios.
    It looks like it is present here too. Here is a "magic key" for fast fly but I don't like this kind facilitation , so get ready to learn.

Got it, ouch, expensive. But as YoYo stated, your stepping into aviation history with lots of system simulation. The visuals are stunning. The manual is a good place to start. And it's very detailed inside and out. The magic key provides the instant experience, but the real test is the air drop and ending at Edwards. My only complaint is going to be that the X-Plane version when it arrives will have a B-52 carrier.

Another happy landing....

Me still on the ground ; ).

Btw. the cocpit is very small, I must move eye point back in the VC (FOV reason).

Regards!

Very nice video YoYo! This kind of flying isnt my cup of tea really because its the same mission over and over. But very cool to watch you do it!

Icon26

Can't wait to see a video of this new gen aircraft. Hope some one will do a video soon. Man it is expensive, but sure would love to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Very nice video YoYo!
    + 1 !

This kind of flying isnt my cup of tea really because its the same mission over and over. But very cool to watch you do it!
    From the earlier XP X-15-2/3 and Bell X-1* packs i've learned that the beauty of these products resides very much in the educational department. " Always wanted to know everything about the X-1 and X-15 rocket powered spaceflight research projects but were afraid to ask ? "... Then this is deffinately what you want. Can't get any better than this !

Become acquainted with the many systems of these iconic machines by reading the comprehensive manuals from cover to cover ( and not only once.. ) and the reward you'll get is hard to describe. Both these packages ( and no doubt this goes for the new edition as well ) are done in such meticulous way that the real manuals can be used to operate them.

(f.i. http://www.sierrafoot.org/x-15/docum...ht_Manual.html )

Like in the real world these extraordinairy research aircraft cannot be compared with anything else in FSX neither. IMHO the Xtreme Prototypes development team is to be wholeheartedly applauded for not only making them available in our beloved virtual flying world but doing it in such comprehensive and meticulous way as well. These are the ultimate "And now for something completely different " type of flying machines. These are flying laboratories. The XP dev team knew that full well and so will you if you dare to take up the challenge. It's worth it !!

It looks tempting, the pricetag however, will keep me sidelined for now. The best thing about this release is to see that they are still alive and developing.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Hi,

We would very much like to know who runs this company now. If anyone knows, please PM me.

Thank you.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    ... There's a quick start button but that's for those who want to pay 45 dollars to hear a rocket engine
    Ok, that was funny...

From the posted pics, this plane looks amazing. I just finished a book called "The Smell of Kerosine, a Test Pilot's Odyssey" by this guy Mallick. He was a NASA test pilot during the X-15 days. He didn't get to fly it, but many of his test pilot buddies did, and he has some interesting stories about it. The seat looks small. The part you put your butt on. It looks short, like half a seat. But I Googled for some photos, and that's pretty much what it looks like. Amazing.

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Btw.

Here no "normal" manual in pdf, just something like help-website after login with active links, pictures ect.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Btw.

Here no "normal" manual in pdf, just something like help-website after login with active links, pictures ect.

The manual is excellent. They even call out known issues with FSX and P3D v.2 before you complain about them. Time to get out the slide rule and calculate the time, speed and distance to Edwards from the drop zone. It's a bit tricky because when you drop, you have to initiate the systems and get the booster ignited. Then wham, you are on for a ride. Booster cut, then the long glide and decent to Edwards.

@dvj, You are probably the fast man in SOH now .

(Im still on the ground)

Members who have read this thread: 2