VSTOL Update for the Wilco HJJ Harrier ? !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSTOL Update for the Wilco HJJ Harrier ? !

VSTOL Update for the Wilco HJJ Harrier ? !

Hi all,
    I'm involved in a project that couples a real-life SeaHarrier training simulator to FSX.
    I.e. all cockpit controls, switches, instruments, etc. are coupled via interface hardware to a PC running FSX with a Harrier addon.

Because of the nature of this setup (a real HW cockpit in a 3-monitor environment), things like a VC and external views are irrelevant; and controlling aircraft systems via mouseclicks is obviously a no-go as well.
    We opted for the Wilco HJJ Harrier as basic addon.
    If you wonder why: not because it's the "best" Harrier addon available, but because this addon best suites our needs.

As a spin-off of this project, I have made a rather substantial update of my VSTOL module in the Wilco HJJ, based on the more recent VSTOL implementation I made included in the SSW Harrier; plus some extra features/tweaks.

Question: is there any interrest in me uploading such a (freeware) update for the Wilco HJJ ??

Rob

Sounds good to me. I flew this aircraft in FSX for awhile so it will be interesting to see what's different.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm involved in a project that couples a real-life SeaHarrier training simulator to FSX.
    I.e. all cockpit controls, switches, instruments, etc. are coupled via interface hardware to a PC running FSX with a Harrier addon.

Because of the nature of this setup (a real HW cockpit in a 3-monitor environment), things like a VC and external views are irrelevant; and controlling aircraft systems via mouseclicks is obviously a no-go as well.
    If you wonder why: not because it's the "best" Harrier addon available, but because this addon best suites our needs.

As a spin-off of this project, I have made a rather substantial update of my VSTOL module in the Wilco HJJ, based on the more recent VSTOL implementation I made included in the SSW Harrier; plus some extra features/tweaks.

Question: is there any interrest in me uploading such a (freeware) update for the Wilco HJJ ??

Rob
    Yes there is!!!

Dumonceau

Hi all,

Rob
    I know I'm not the only one who wishes you might consider the same for the Razbam Harrier. I know that might be a tall order logistically speaking but nonetheless, it would be very welcome as a freeware addon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rob, thanks for your efforts to improve Harrier STOL/VTOL ops in FSX, I would be happy if you would upload your new files! I always liked your Wilco and SSW Harrier VTOL gauges very much.

cheers, Henk.
    Last edited by hschuit; January 4th, 2015 at 01:15.

Absolutely, the more authentic Harrier profile, especially Sea Harrier, the better.

Thanks

Allan (ex design engineer on Harriers)

Please release the update!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Yes, I would definitely be interested in the update.

Yes please Rob!

Thank you, Dave.

This would be amazing Rob. Its the only reason i no longer fly the wilco aircraft.
    If you know the avatar, you know the man!
    M/B: Asus Z170 Deluxe - CPU: i7 6700k - RAM: 16Gb Corsair DDR4 3200mhz - Vid: Asus GTX970
    Windows 10 (x64) on M.2 SSD - FS Software on: Sata SSD

wilco harrier vstol

Please count me in! hertzie

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I know I'm not the only one who wishes you might consider the same for the Razbam Harrier.
    Sorry, No.
    I know that Razbam has chosen a completely different approach to tackle this VSTOL issue, and (as far as I know) this is completely embedded in their FDE/model.
    So I don't think it's possible to add an addon like mine to the Razbam Harrier; even apart from possible copyright issues.

Rob

OK, enough enthousiasm

I'll probably upload the package later this week ...

Rob

Another yes please from me for the update. I've just reinstalled the Wilco Harrier and am looking forward to getting some more hours in.

One thing i really do love with Wilco's Harrier is the nozzle control with a throttle quadrant , It will be interesting to see the difference and how it compares

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    One thing i really do love with Wilco's Harrier is the nozzle control with a throttle quadrant , It will be interesting to see the difference and how it compares
    Nothing has changed there
    So you can still use the PropPitch lever on a throttle quadrant to control the nozzles.

The only thing you need to realise is (as before), that if you use PropPitch commands via keyboard/joystickbuttons too (with the "snap" function), the position of the PropPitch lever on your quadrant can be out-of-sync.
    Unless you have a motorised lever that follows the position of the FSX-state of the lever.

However, a new feature is the NozzleTrim function.
    Many real Harrier variants have this: a rocker switch on the Throttle, through which the pilot can finetune the nozzles position in a +5/-5 degrees range.
    I simulated this NozzleTrim, using the standard FSX RudderTrim function; so you can use this function either by keyboard commands or (better) by assigning a three-way switch on your controller hardware if you have that available.
    Very handy for exact vertical landings and carrier approaches, especially in wind conditions.

Rob

Sorry, No.
    I know that Razbam has chosen a completely different approach to tackle this VSTOL issue, and (as far as I know) this is completely embedded in their FDE/model.
    So I don't think it's possible to add an addon like mine to the Razbam Harrier; even apart from possible copyright issues.

Rob
    It will work, I took an earlier version of your gauge and commented out the Razbam gauge that controls the V/STOL function. It worked perfectly but of course there are the loss of certain instruments. It's obvious an updated gauge from Razbam could free up the systems to where a version of your gauge could be fitted in. I understand about the possible copyright issues considering the Wilco & SSW versions already feature the gauge. Hopefully someone will come up with a similar workaround one day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It will work, I took an earlier version of your gauge and commented out the Razbam gauge that controls the V/STOL function. It worked perfectly but of course there are the loss of certain instruments. .
    Which is what I ment with "embedded" ......

It's obvious an updated gauge from Razbam could free up the systems to where a version of your gauge could be fitted in. I understand about the possible copyright issues considering the Wilco & SSW versions already feature the gauge. .
    Just to be clear:
    With "possible copyright issues" I ment that I'm not at liberty to make/upload an update especially for the Razbam Harrier, on my own initiative.

Besides, this would imply that I feel my VSTOL solution is better then the one from Razbam.
    And that's a kind of statement I will never make myself, if only out of courtesy to another designer.
    For the same reason, I never react in threads where it concerns comparisons between the various Harrier addon's.

Hope you understand.....

Rob

Which is what I ment with "embedded" ......

Just to be clear:
    With "possible copyright issues" I ment that I'm not at liberty to make/upload an update especially for the Razbam Harrier, on my own initiative.

Besides, this would imply that I feel my VSTOL solution is better then the one from Razbam.
    And that's a kind of statement I will never make myself, if only out of courtesy to another designer.
    For the same reason, I never react in threads where it concerns comparisons between the various Harrier addon's.

Hope you understand.....

Rob
    I fully agree Rob, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels your work is (as far we know) the best solution. That's not to be construed by ANY of the Harrier Dev's to be implying one is inferior to the other. They all do good work in their own right. In the end, us behind the scenes "tweakers" will likely come up with our own bridged solution so to speak and make do with it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Hello Storm,

Can you tell me which gauge(s) to comment out (I suppose I have to do that in the panel.cfg)? I see a number of gauges that might have something to do with the VSTOL function. I don't mind losing some instruments, but I would hate to lose the propeller pitch control for the nozzles.
    Which version of Rob's gauges did you use? The one from the JF Harrier? In the SSW Harrier there are several gauges pertaining to the VSTOL function.

Thanks in advance. I really hope I can finally fly the RAZBAM Harrier in a satisfactory way.,

Stickshaker

On the off chance I've missed it.
    I take it this update was never released?

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    On the off chance I've missed it.
    I take it this update was never released?
    You are correct; I never released/uploaded it.

And if you, or other people, are interrested why, I'll gladly explain.

Rob

Rob
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    I'm sure there is interest, but I'm also also sure you had good reason, so that's fine.
    Thanks for the other gauges you've released in the past.

Not sure where I left off, I'll have to check next week ....
    If in a finished state , I will probably upload the update package ...

Rob

Members who have read this thread: 1