White circle on the middle of the airfield

Thread: White circle on the middle of the airfield

White circle on the middle of the airfield

I've been struggling with this: How do I place a white circle (60 feet) on the middle on the airfield? Anyone any ideas?
    Off course one must be able to taxi over it or land on it without crashing.

Cees

Edit: never mind, I found out how to do it.
    Last edited by Cees Donker; January 2nd, 2015 at 22:22.

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I've been struggling with this: How do I place a white circle (60 feet) on the middle on the airfield? Anyone any ideas?
    Off course one must be able to taxi over it or land on it without crashing.

Cees

Edit: never mind, I found out how to do it.
    ==========================================

Enlighten me. How did you do it ????

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Hiya CeesDonker.

Here's how I would do it.

If you just want a down and dirty white circle, not "blended" or anything fancy, you can easily do it with FSSC. Decide what you want the diameter of the circle to be. Then(1) in fssc create a simple 2-point taxiway that is as wide as the desired diameter of your circle. Next(2) select the taxiway end point and move it so that it coincides with the start point- so that they sit on top of each other. In the FSSC layout window this yields a taxiway that is displayed as a circle. You will use this displayed circular taxiway as a template for a circular polygon. Unfortunately, you can't use the taxiway so created in the sim because, since it has no actual length, it will not display in the sim. Next(3) create a polygon whose points follow the outline of the taxiway circle in the FSSC layout window- zoom in close so that it is accurate. Next(4) once you have created the polygon, delete the taxiway and you will be left with just circular polygon. Make sure that the compiled poly will be white by choosing white in the polygon properties window. Or you could use a texture that is whitish. Compile. Should work fine.

Cheers,
    MR

PS I am using an older version of FSSC. I am not sure whether the newer version displays taxiways with circular ends.
    PPS: I just checked. The newer version does not display taxiways with circular ends. I normally use Version 1.2.15 for this very reason. Many later airfields that I made required lots of circular polys for large B-29 parking pans.
    If you need a copy of the older version of FSSC, 1.2.15 i think it is, there is one included in my scenery-making tutorial which is available at my website under the "Other Stuff" link. Maybe available here at SOH too.

For some reason I couldn't get the attached images to appear in the order I selected them. The pics below should be viewed 4-1-2-3 to follow along with the instructions. ;^)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cees01.jpg   cees02.jpg   cees03.jpg   cees00.jpg  
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

SOH-CM-2023
    MR:

I found your tutorial in the files. Does SCASM compiler work in FSX ??

Icon22

I have never made any scenery for FSX. But I'm pretty sure scenery complied using FSSC (Scasm) will work in FSX. There are folks around who have used my scenery in FSX.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    I have never made any scenery for FSX. But I'm pretty sure scenery complied using FSSC (Scasm) will work in FSX. There are folks around who have used my scenery in FSX.

MR
    ================================================== =============
    I shall try this little exercise with the circle over the weekend and post results here.

Thanks for your explanation and help.

Sounds good glh. I'll be interested to see if it works, too. ;^) Theoretically its a sound idea.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

LOL! I had not noticed that Cees had edited his post to add "never mind, I found out how to do it." Oh, well.

:^)

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

SOH-CM-2023
    Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    LOL! I had not noticed that Cees had edited his post to add "never mind, I found out how to do it." Oh, well.

:^)

MR
    ===========================================
    Yes, but he never replied to my query about how he did it.

I played around with it a little last night and this morning and so far have had no luck getting anything to show up in FSX.

I added a small exclude around the poly-spot (which worked) as well as a small flat area around it. Changed it from a colored poly to a textured poly. Still no joy.

I put the spot.bgl in a "scenery" folder inside a parent folder named "whitespot" and added that to the main FSX scenery folder and added it to the scenery library..

There is something about FSX scenery that I am unfamiliar with. Not at all surprising.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

SOH-CM-2023
    MR:

Well, you beat me to the punch. If you can't do it, I'm sure I won't be able to produce anything. I have NO experience with scenery programs.

Come to think of it, Mr. Donker DID NOT mention which flight sim program he was attempting to modify. Maybe he will stop back in here and elaborate. Maybe.

Icon22

glh,

I have a feeling that FSX has an issue with the kind of stock-polys that FSSC churns out. At some point later today I will try re-locating one of my old cfs2 sceneries and loading it into FSX- just to see what shows up. I am playing around at a very remote location east of San Diego- Borrego Valley Air Park.

Whatever it is it has to be something very simple. Not complicated at all.

Whats interesting is that I also made a taxiway that encircles the location of where the white spot is supposed to show up. The taxiway shows up just fine.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

SOH-CM-2023
    MR:

OK. I would be interested to see what you come up with as to the anomaly. It sounds as if something other
    than what is in your (in-the-files) scenery tutorial is occurring and will have to be documented. I hope it is as "easy" as you say -- but remember Murphy's law !!

Well. I have been doing some boning up on FSX scenery making and it seems that FSSC is pretty much a non-starter when it comes to making add-on scenery for FSX. The issues are actually complicated, not simple.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

SOH-CM-2023
    Ah, Yes, MR. Mr. Murphy strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    MR:

Well, you beat me to the punch. If you can't do it, I'm sure I won't be able to produce anything. I have NO experience with scenery programs.

Come to think of it, Mr. Donker DID NOT mention which flight sim program he was attempting to modify. Maybe he will stop back in here and elaborate. Maybe.
    I'm working in ADE 1.6., making scenery for FSX. I try to recreate airfields in the Netherlands around 1940. As I have another computer now and I'm not fully operational, I can't give exact details. It involves adding a custom ground poly with a custom made texture.

Cees

Circles on the runway

Well you gentlemen just blew me out of the water! I was wondering if it would be possible to create an amphibious base that I could insert into a FSX scenery. Waterways are sparse around north central Texas. I was also thinking about a hanger that I could park my aircraft in to finish a flight.

I guess this pipe dream will go the way of my virtual flashlight for use in a older plane without lights!

As usual it's always interesting and educational on S.O.H. forum, thank you.

Old Airman

Members who have read this thread: 0