179 New AI ships released - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 179 New AI ships released

Cheers Milton You're right.. there are 4 showing in that shot. 3 are quite clear.. the 4th less so. You'd know of course

Here she is with Iveston before the discovery was made..

Guardship duties and a jolly in the IoS for the weekend.

ATB
    DaveB

Great snap Mrs. thought it was real.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

I will take a look and get it corrected - and yes the screenshot is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Cheers Milton You're right.. there are 4 showing in that shot. 3 are quite clear.. the 4th less so. You'd know of course

Here she is with Iveston before the discovery was made..

Guardship duties and a jolly in the IoS for the weekend.

ATB
    DaveB

Here a few screens from the area south of Bergen and Haakonvern naval station in Norway with the Skjold Class on exercise

Very nice to see the Skjold class coastal corvette! (formerly called Missile torpedo boat) We don't really have the funding to have these boats in the Norwegian military, but the ships themselves are rather lethal machines. Very high speed, stealth capabilities and a heavy armament of one 76 gun and 8 Norwegian made NSM long range anti ship stealth missiles. Really made for a cold war type scenario. Their high cost made them unwelcome in the Norwegian military and the program was only saved by the politicians which wanted to save the ship yard which made them... But in todays situation with Russia, they are maybe not a bad capability to have after all.. if the Norwegian navy only could find money to fund their use..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Where did HMS Iveston come from? Is she part of this package?

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Iveston was a model I made as a favour for DaveB, and is not generally available.

Exactly Dave! I did the hard work and bought the plans.. you had the easy job of making the model He did a fine job though didn't he

I went looking for those Norwegian vessels the other day. Not sure if they were too fast or I was too slow but I never saw any. Must try again

ATB
    DaveB

Exactly Dave! I did the hard work and bought the plans.. you had the easy job of making the model He did a fine job though didn't he

I went looking for those Norwegian vessels the other day. Not sure if they were too fast or I was too slow but I never saw any. Must try again

ATB
    DaveB

The Norwegian Skjold class leaves from Haakonsvern right north of the Flesland airport; continues South and South East through Lukksund to Hardangerfjorden

And if the two of you should decide to share the HMS Iveston, I would love to include it. Next up from my side a classic ship - the S/S Martha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Prftd2Fu8

Now, I like the look of that Henrik

ATB
    DaveB

Now, I like the look of that Henrik

ATB
    DaveB
    Soon there should be images of the model.

Meanwhile a small fix for the package correcting the above mentioned issue of the flags on the Bounty:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0r67qtcvb...AItgR_usa?dl=0

Copy the mdl file in the above folder and replace the file in simobjects/boats/ai_hms_bounty - Please note this fix SHOULD NOT BE USED ON ANY OTHER VERSION OF THE HMS BOUNTY THAN THE ONE INCLUDED IN "80 AI Ships and AI Ship Traffic"

(This link will be removed when with the appearance of the next larger update.)

Thanks for that Henrik

Incidentally.. seeing the name Haakonsvern reminded me I visited there on HMS Norfolk(D21) when we were Comstanavforlant.. late '80 or early '81. The official reason was for fuel but the more widely accepted 'unofficial' reason was that the Commodore saw an opportunity for the ship to qualify for LOA (local overseas allowance)!! I think we were only there for some 18hrs (we did actually take-on fuel too) but shore leave was granted.. all of port watch for 6hrs then all of stbd watch. There's precious little to do in any naval base so some of us caught a bus to Bergen which in itself.. took a long time leaving us to run around and see as much as we could before finding transport back! Not the best way to see anywhere really but there you go. Got back to the ship exhausted then straight on watch

ATB
    DaveB

I visited Bergen once on BNS Zinnia (A961) around 87 or so. Had a great time there.

I'm looking forward to the mentioned classic ship set. I've been working on a 1960ish install.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I visited Bergen once on BNS Zinnia (A961) around 87 or so. Had a great time there.

I'm looking forward to the mentioned classic ship set. I've been working on a 1960ish install.
    That leaves one question - I have seen a lot of the 1960 stuff is in FS2004 - is there anybody interested in the classic ships compiled for FS2004? They will not include routes as this requires doing particular AFCADs but the models could be compiled as static ships with bmp textures.

Quote Originally Posted by kl791 View Post
    That leaves one question - I have seen a lot of the 1960 stuff is in FS2004 - is there anybody interested in the classic ships compiled for FS2004? They will not include routes as this requires doing particular AFCADs but the models could be compiled as static ships with bmp textures.
    For my part.. I only ever use FS9 while beta testing these days so I'd get little or no use out of them I'm afraid.

ATB
    DaveB

Convoy at last!

Would you be willing to share your ai formation? I assume that is using AICarriers2?

I've been trying to set up a large formation for the same reason and you have achieved yours!

Bookman

As always.. stunning work Henrik

Incidentally.. I knocked this up a few days ago using your Liberty's..

Believe it or not.. the only thing that pulled my FR's down was the carrier in the middle of the convoy and the 4 warships around the outside. Sadly.. the FS maritime world needs more 'period' merchant ships but for now.. the Liberty Ships will do fine
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman1960 View Post
    Would you be willing to share your ai formation? I assume that is using AICarriers2?

I've been trying to set up a large formation for the same reason and you have achieved yours!

Bookman
    Sure Here you go..

[formation.XX]
    title=Convoy
    unit.0=Victorious_1944_normal, 0, 0
    unit.1=ai_victory, 0, 800
    unit.2=ai_victory, 0, -800
    unit.3=ai_victory, 0, 1600
    unit.4=ai_victory, 0, -1600
    unit.5=ai_victory, 800, 0
    unit.6=ai_victory, 800, 800
    unit.7=ai_victory, 800, -800
    unit.8=ai_victory, 800, 1600
    unit.9=ai_victory, 800, -1600
    unit.10=ai_victory, -800, 0
    unit.11=ai_victory, -800, 800
    unit.12=ai_victory, -800, -800
    unit.13=ai_victory, -800, 1600
    unit.14=ai_victory, -800, -1600
    unit.15=ai_victory, 1600, 0
    unit.16=ai_victory, 1600, 800
    unit.17=ai_victory, 1600, -800
    unit.18=ai_victory, 1600, 1600
    unit.19=ai_victory, 1600, -1600
    unit.20=ai_victory, -1600, 0
    unit.21=ai_victory, -1600, 800
    unit.22=ai_victory, -1600, -800
    unit.23=ai_victory, -1600, 1600
    unit.24=ai_victory, -1600, -1600
    unit.25=HMS_Belfast_1943, 0, 2400
    unit.26=AI_Flower_class_corvette_X, 0, -2400
    unit.27=HMS_C_class_DD_1944, 2400, 0
    unit.28=HMS_C_class_DD_1944, -2400, 0

You can see here how I built it up. For once, I had a plan!!! First.. the carrier then a ship ahead and behind it. A quick look in FS then another ship ahead and behind the previous two. Then.. ships to the left.. and ships to the right. Had another look in FS. More ships to the left of those and more ships to the right. Finally.. the support ships ahead, to the side and behind (in actual fact.. Belfast ahead, the corvette to the rear then the destroyers on either side)

I could have gone on. Henrik's Liberty ships are so low on poly count and draw call, I'm sure I could have pegged another 10 without issue. Any apparent hit only began when I swapped the central Liberty for the carrier and then added the support ships. I think a few more would have been nice (Corvettes) but this was a good time to stop!!

EDIT: Incidentally.. I made a slightly different version of Henrik's default Liberty's by changing the flag from the StarsNBars to the Red Duster and named it ai_victory (based on the John model). This in case you're looking for ai_victory which you won't find.
    ATB
    DaveB

Thank you!

Dave,

Thank you so much. Incidentally, I have been probably going about things the hard way, is there a simple tool or utility you use to build formations? Or do you edit by trial and error as I do, based upon pre-existing formations I've found?

Bookman

Hello Mate

You're welcome

Well.. it depends on what you're looking for really. Most of my larger formations have some symmetry but my smaller formations can be hit and miss. I did one for Ark Royal IV this afternoon making her the centre ship (, 0, 0).. I then put Glamorgan 1000 ahead (on the centreline), Leander 800 to the right (but in line with Ark) and a tanker -400 from Ark's centreline (to the left) and -600 back

[formation.43]
    title=HMS Ark Royal IV Group
    unit.0=HMS Ark Royal, 0, 0
    unit.1=HMS Glamorgan, 0, 1000
    unit.2=Leander, 600, 0
    unit.3=Old Tanker, -400, -600

It's loose but what might have happened at a given moment in time. Sadly.. we don't really have a proliferation of UK RFA's so whatever I do there has more than a tad of artistic license!!

With larger formations (like that convoy).. it's best to have a plan. I'd decided the formation was going to be 5 ships deep (line ahead) but hadn't decided how many lines of ships there were going to be or what the spacing would be. As you can see from the convoy formation.. from top to bottom.. Victorious is the centre of the world.. surrounded by everything else (protect the carrier at all costs e t c). I then added 2 ahead doubling the distance with the last one and again.. 2 more to the rear.. distances doubled each time. Ships were then added to the right (no minus on the first set.. positive = right.. negative =left) centred on the carrier then again.. to the left (minus in the first set of numbers). To the very best of my knowledge.. there's no magic tool to do this. You build each formation either from scratch or if you see one you like.. copy that and change the model references. It's easier if you start small and work your way up and use 'different' ships at each position. That way.. you can see exactly where each ship is in relation to the numbers you put in. You'll get used to knowing what each numeric line is (centre or left/right.. ahead or behind) but even so.. it may help to put the 'picture' in your head down on paper and work from that. Small formations are easy but bigger ones can get you lost!

It's a lot of fun and very easy to end up with a very large conf.d file
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by kl791 View Post
    Hi Joe,
    As mentioned on Avsim - if someone can provide a drawing then they could go on the list, but I need at least a decent side view and a top view.

For the moment a small Danish addition - the patrol ships Ejnar Mikkelsen and Knud Rasmussen here in P3D and below in FSX

Some skillful flying there. Has anyone tried using the Lynx from the Virtavia Freeware page as a static or Ai with this ship?

No Frank but an AI Lynx would certainly work for me. I still fly the Alpha model btw

ATB
    DaveB

Project Updates?

Is there any status or update of this amazing and seemingly ongoing project!?

Thank you for the wonderful work you've provided for the enjoyment of all.

Bookman

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman1960 View Post
    Is there any status or update of this amazing and seemingly ongoing project!?

Thank you for the wonderful work you've provided for the enjoyment of all.

Bookman
    Hi Bookman,

Yes, the project is alive. Work and other reallife issues have reduced the communication a bit, but a new package is almost ready. Very few models missing. The new models are adapted to work also with P3Dv3.1 - however I also need to make a new effect package for all ships and correct some models for them to work correctly in P3Dv3.1 due to the wave effects.

Below some screen shots:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16020512342816112913949140.jpg   16020506264316112913950427.jpg   16010810493016112913882419.jpg   16010810492516112913882417.jpg  

WOW!

Looking forward to its release especially the P3DV3.X version.

Russ
    Many may fly and some are rewarded
    handsomely, but the wings of gold of a
    United States Naval Aviator mean more
    than flying. It is dearly bought, requires
    sacrifice to keep and represents a way of life.

A few more night shots...

The new models have more modeled details, but are better optimised so all in all lighter on FPS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 16010810493116112913882420.jpg   16010810485916112913882414.jpg   16010810490016112913882415.jpg   16020512343116112913949142.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 5