Aircraft Factory Corsairs - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aircraft Factory Corsairs

Quote Originally Posted by Katoun View Post
    Hi,

This will not be in conjunction with A2A, so no Accusim. So sorry.

However, the code will be significantly enhanced.

I will ask about the clipped wings.

Thank you.

Kat

EDIT: Colin tells me that I have made a serious mistake. The product that we will be releasing is NOT a F4U-1A/C/D Corsair. You have my apologies.

Come on then Kat.. a clue would be nice. Your secret will be safe here!

ATB
    DaveB

The Birdcage Corsair then??

Hi,

I have been given the go-ahead to make the announcement.

We will be releasing in Q1 or Q2, the MV FG-1D Corsair. Tacpack is uncertain.

We have redone the VC completely and will be making a decision as to whether or not we redo the external UV's later this month. We will also be adding new tech including our night lighting and, possibly, including the Real Engine tech into the product. The soundset is being redone and the FDE will be tweaked a bit though Tom Falley (aka Fliger747) did a bang up job as far as we're concerned.

I will post pics later on today or tomorrow.

Thank you!

Kat

Works for me.. cheers Kat

ATB
    DaveB

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    The new FDE feels fine, but each time I land on a carrier and have almost come to a stop, the plane tips over on its nose very slowly. No matter how slowly I land, the problem persists. I also had it with the Seafury but not with the original AF Corsair files. Does anybody else have this problem, and is it perhaps related to Gray Eagle’s problem with the tailhook, as mentioned in another thread?<o></o>
    Good news on the new release, Kat!<o></o>

Kat,

The Materials could certainly use an update, with proper env. map inclusion, and use of refined spec. textures.

- Joseph
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Regarding doing an update of the model - the FG-1D, being the exact same as an F4U-1D (a Goodyear-built F4U-1D) - when looking at the AF Corsair, the primary spots that need correcting include the tail gear, the canopy and windscreen, and the notch cut-out in the flap needs to be on the starboard/right side, not the port/left side. The canopy, from within the VC, could also use additional details. Scratch could go into a lot more detail about it all.

(All of the surviving clipped-wing RNZAF and RN Corsairs in the world today (flying and static), are versions of Goodyear-built FG-1D's, including the time capsule example on display at the Fleet Air Arm Museum (which has a braced canopy), the original RNZAF Corsair ZK-COR that flies in New Zealand, and the other original RNZAF Corsair N43FG that has now been flying in the US since earlier 2014. Early F4U-1D's and FG-1D's had braced canopies like the F4U-1A/FG-1A.)

Regarding the existing aircraft materials, I've been more than pleased with the specular maps, but it definitely needs support for alpha channels in order to properly recreate the exact look of late-44/1945 glossy sea blue.

I've seen others in the past get confused about the "FG-1D", thinking it to be the "Super Corsairs", where in-fact those are the "F2G-1" and "F2G-2". The "FG-1D" is virtually identical to the "F4U-1D", but built under license by Goodyear. The Brewster company also built the F4U-1A/D Corsair under license, and it was called the "F3A-1", of which one still survives today, and is in the middle of a complete restoration to airworthy. There are no Vought-built F4U-1D's flying today, only Goodyear-built FG-1D's, of which there are several. There is one Vought-built F4U-1A that flies, operated by Planes of Fame, and of course a number of Vought-built F4U-4's, F4U-5's, and F4U-7's that fly today.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; January 1st, 2015 at 16:48.

Hi John,

Thank you for your information but, we feel that you're oncorrect about the differences in the two types.

Thank you

Kat

Stickshaker, try something more like this [TailHook] section instead, replacing the one in the Tom Falley/Fliger747 Aircraft.cfg files.

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 3
    tailhook_position = -25, 0, 0
    cable_force_adjust = 1

Quote Originally Posted by Katoun View Post
    Hi John,

Thank you for your information but, we feel that you're oncorrect about the differences in the two types.

Thank you

Kat
    I would love to learn more, if you can back it up with 1945 material. Sure, there were superficial differences between the two (F4U-1D/FG-1D) - placards, inspection stamps, construction numbers, and I'm sure other factory processes differed a bit, but the main airframe remained identical - perhaps a slightly later variant of the R-2800, however? I, as much as anyone, am interested in seeing a new/updated Corsair of WWII and post-WWII era, done accurately/faithfully.

Excellent info John.
    VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

Hi,

Quote from Colin: "as always John, your information is going to be very hard to disprove and is probably correct anyway. There are no manuals that clearly show any differences in any of the models. As well, the pics available on the net for the F4U-1D are so low rez as to be useless. The only really valid visual representation is a panorama of a FG1-D here: http://www.airspacemag.com/panoramas...air-180953750/

This is the plane that we used as our reference for the revamped VC"

Due to some issues with the original release, this will be for P3D 1.4 up. There will be no locks on the product. No further comments on that will be responded and or answered.

Thank you

Kat

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Stickshaker, try something more like this [TailHook] section instead, replacing the one in the Tom Falley/Fliger747 Aircraft.cfg files.

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 3
    cable_force_adjust = 1
    Thanks, John! I’m going to try this out and will report back.<o></o>

The dialog between John and Katoun over Corsair differences brings this to my mind. (A little levity here)

I am very pleased to hear that the MilViz FG-1D will finally see the light of day! I think the flight sim world has needed an FG-1D for a very long time as most of the surviving -1 series of Corsairs are the FG-1D versions.

Externally, the FG-1D could be differentiated from the F4U-1D by the location where the MF/MHF radio antenna entered the fuselage. Vought continued to use the same spot for the -1, -1A, -1C/D, which was on the starboard side directly aft of the cockpit. A notch was cut into the back edge of the canopy frame to prevent the canopy for contacting the antenna. When Goodyear began to produce the -1D model, they moved the entry point to the port side and lowered the entry point to below the canopy track.

To my knowledge, Vought never installed a footstep in the starboard inboard flap of any of the -1 series Corsairs. Vought did incorporate a step in the F4U-4 design. Early production of the FG-1D may not have had the step either, but Vought was producing -4's for months while Goodyear was still fulfilling their -1D contract. I expect the flap with the step was incorporated sometime later in the production run of the FG-1D.

Inside the cockpit, I think the Vought and Goodyear -1D's were almost identical. From what I have found, there was a change in the electrical panel and the bomb arming switch panel, but otherwise they seem the same.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi,

We used your list of fixes to do them so thank you for that.

Thank you.

Kat

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 3
    cable_force_adjust = 1

I made the changes to the tailhook section and now when it lands, it doesn't take a face plant into the flight deck however, the tail hook automatically retracts.
    I noted on another thread here about the tail hook not fully extending to the deck when the aircraft is on the ground.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rsair-Tailhook

This is unrealistic, I ought to know, I've been
    on many an aircraft carrier and seen the tail hook of all and any aircraft preflight checked and they all would extend fully to the flight deck, if they didn't, the plane's flight
    was scrubbed till it was fixed.

Here is photo of successful trap with the new tail setting and notice that it is fully retracted. I didn't press SHIFT + Q after landing. The tail hook on this particular plane will
    extend fully when the plane is airborne, and only then - (weight off wheels switch function?)

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 3
    cable_force_adjust = 1
    Hello John,<o></o>
    It works fine! No problems anymore. Thanks for the tip.

Hi guys, I added the new FDE and love it.However, after the new FDE I can't start the engine without using ctrl E.The engine just turns over and will not catch.I've followed the checklist to the letter and tried other things as well.Anybody else having this problem?
    Stan

Hi Stan (and everyone), this will solve that problem.

Go into the Aircraft.cfg file and find this line under [Piston_Engine]:

normalized_starter_torque=0.033471

Change it so that it reads:

normalized_starter_torque=.1

(I'm so used to simply pressing M++++ to control mags/starter, that I never have been accustom to using the actual starter switch inside the cockpit on most planes.)

Members who have read this thread: 3