Alpha/Virtavia B-24 Liberator

Thread: Alpha/Virtavia B-24 Liberator

Icon5 Alpha/Virtavia B-24 Liberator

G'day ya'll...

I've been eye-ballin' the Alphasim/Virtavia B-24 Liberator for a while... anyone have any recommendations, comments, good or bad? Just askin' the experts who have this plane, before I procure myself a copy.... what do you think?

Oddly enough, I have ALOT of payware for FS9, and hardly any for FSX, (save TACPAC and the VRS Superbug).

Cheers -- BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Its worth it Ive had it for a while and i love its highly detailed and simple to operate.

I agree; it's a very docile airplane to fly. I like that you get both the D model and the J; I just wish there were more Repaints out there!

There's also a couple of freeware C-87's out there in the ether, too.

I really like it a lot.A very enjoyable plane. For such a big beast it handles very well and, from my point of view, is lots of fun to fly. There are certainly not a gazillion repaints out there for it, but there are quite a few for both the D & J models. You just have to do a little searching to find them.

LA
    ...things will go as they will; and there's no use hurrying to meet them.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    It is a very nice aircraft indeed, especially now with the C-87 and C-109 models. There are a few Fs9 repaints by Jindrich Barta and a lot for FsX by Brian Hill (Some great formation aircraft!) at Flightsim.com, and some by Jankees and Jeansy over at Ozx.
    The model is the same for both versions, but the bare metal textures do look much better in FsX to be honest.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Thanks for the comebacks, mates. I looked at the repaint availability on the usual sites and found quite a few for FS9. Since the package also comes with the FSX version, I just might have a go with it there too, but I'm planning to fly her in FS9 primarily. So I'm off to get it... Thanks Again!

BB686

JUST BUY IT!

I flew my C-87 on a mission from Tezgaon to Kunming the other day. Great flying! No hangar of 40s aircraft should be without his offering! And, Phil ... MANY, MANY THANKS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GCS0018.jpg   GCS0019.jpg  
    Last edited by Bill Kestell; January 1st, 2015 at 14:57.

Hi,
    Glenn Duncan has a beautifully panelled version (if you see what I mean) which I love to fly. It's a freighter version.
    Andy

Guys, I fly FSX, FS9, and most often CFS2. Do any of you happen to know if this A/C will convert to CFS2. Some do, some don't. I would be interested in purchasing the model if it does.

Thanks for any input,
    msfossey

Quote Originally Posted by msfossey View Post
    Guys, I fly FSX, FS9, and most often CFS2. Do any of you happen to know if this A/C will convert to CFS2. Some do, some don't. I would be interested in purchasing the model if it does.

Thanks for any input,
    msfossey
    You may already know about it and I don't know what it's like (it's an older model), but there is a CFS2 Liberator in the Alphasim/Virtavia freeware list. http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kestell View Post
    JUST BUY IT!

I flew my C-87 on a mission from Tezgaon to Kunming the other day. Great flying! No hangar of 40s aircraft should be without his offering! And, Phil ... MANY, MANY THANKS!
    Hey Bill --

How did you come across that C-87... just curious. My FS9 installer of the Virtavia B-24 only supplied the "D" and "J" bomber variants. The FSX version DOES include the C-87 tho. Maybe the Alphasim version included that model for FS9. If there is such a model available for FS9, I'd like to get me hands on one....Just say'in.

BB686

The older FS9 version is the same; only the D and the J model. I've found that the Model is different in that newer Repaints for the Payware version won't work with the older Freeware version.

(NEW: model=B-24D OLD: model=D_1)

There are two C-87's out there for FS9; the aforementioned version by Glenn Duncan, and another by Jim Nelson and Jaap de Baare.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=32260999

Hope this helps!

Alan

Thanks for the info, Alan. I heard that the FSX model of the "D" and the "J" are the same as in the FS9 package. I wonder... that being the case, if the FSX C-87 would be FS9 compatible too. I know the textures won't. Bill's shot of the C-87 looks a bit like the FSX Virtavia C-87.

Not a biggie tho... I've already spent some considerable time in the bomber versions, and "by the book", the FM is very accurate.

BB686

Blackbird686 ... Sorry for the confusion. The screenshot is in FSX! DUH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Hey Bill --

How did you come across that C-87... just curious. My FS9 installer of the Virtavia B-24 only supplied the "D" and "J" bomber variants. The FSX version DOES include the C-87 tho. Maybe the Alphasim version included that model for FS9. If there is such a model available for FS9, I'd like to get me hands on one....Just say'in.

BB686
    On Flightsim Pilot Shop entry for the Virtavia B-24 there is a note in the description that the C-87 and C-109 models are FSX only.

Dave

No worries, Bill... I saw the screenshot of the C-87 in this thread and thought I had missed something on the FS9 install of my recently acquired Virtavia B-24.

It's all good... BB686

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    There are two C-87's out there for FS9; the aforementioned version by Glenn Duncan, and another by Jim Nelson and Jaap de Baare.

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib....rchid=32260999

Hope this helps!

Alan
    Flightsim search results are not static so that link will really only work once (when you made the original search).
    Best to just tell folks what your search phrase was to get the results.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Flightsim search results are not static so that link will really only work once (when you made the original search).
    Best to just tell folks what your search phrase was to get the results.
    My bad... under 'All File Sections', I typed "C-87 Liberator Express". The Search Result also showed a couple of Panels, designed specifically for the two FS9 Models.

Members who have read this thread: 0