C-97
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: C-97

C-97

Any news on the C-97 being developed by Manfred?

Well we were hoping for a Beta release around xmas but it had to be postponed to February or thereabouts. Main items on the To-do list are finishing the external textures and adding to the VC, which is a portover of Greg Pepper's FS2002/2004 interior model. We have a dedicated AI version which can be controlled by FSX's Traffic Explorer module, and boom operations are handled via a subpanel of the control panel. Bearing in mind future versions, aircraft type and function is read off the title line in aircraft.cfg. Here are two screens made today and yesterday. I'll keep this forum posted on significant developments in due course.

She's looking great Manfred. Thanks for the update

ATB
    DaveB

yes, thanks for the update! Eagerly awaiting release!

It's been awhile but the Tanker is looking sweet! A little video testing the engines...

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Will there be functioning radar? Just curious....
    USAFVET
    12 year USAF veteran , Air Trans
    "Life is like herding cats through a fish market".

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    .....adding to the VC, which is a portover of Greg Pepper's FS2002/2004 interior model....
    Greg Pepper's KC-97 is what made me switch over from SU-27 Flanker over to MS Flight Simulator. Nice to see some of Greg's work finding a second life....

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Blog Entries
    What a great way to carry on Greg Pepper's memory! WOW!!!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Fantastic news and images, Manfred! As others have mentioned, I fondly remember flying from that VC back in FS2004.

The Berlin Airlift guys, which have been working on returning a C-97 to flight, reached quite a big milestone this past weekend, as they pulled it outside and ran three of the four engines (one is still waiting on some propeller work). Some videos of the engine runs can be seen here: http://www.spiritoffreedom.org/mpegs/#4.mp4

BTW, Ted, perhaps about time you look for a bigger airport to base your operations from? : ) A very nice video!

Thanks John for those video links. These are very clear videos! I've only seen a few videos (Grace Air LTD C-97) of this bird running engines and trying to replicate them is no easy task, especially with four engines. This is my second attempt at creating some kind of sound set for any aircraft.

Manfred and Tufun,
    Thanks for the update and great video. February/March/April..... I feel spring will be in the air soon
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Testing #3 radial with revised startup and prop sounds based on the videos John linked to. Will need to fix the startup with a fade in on the sound file.

Update: Sound

Startup/Low rpm/Shutdown

Holy hells bells TuFun! that nearly blew my townhouse all to hell.

That is one noisey old bitch. Great job. 50 out of ten.

Anthin.

SAC Tanker Row!

(sound tests)

Another I've had my eye on. You're gaining on it TF

Texturing progress. All is plain grey now for color alignment, no specular or bumps yet.

Please, please give us the "F" and "G" versions (No jets).
    I flew almost 1500 hours in those before anyone stuck a couple of jets on them (like the KB-50J).
    The "G" had a much roomier upper deck. Unlike the "F" which made it a real chore to get from the flight deck to the port exit wearing a parachute and one-man inflatable boat.
    There were only a few "L" versions with the jet pods.

The model appears to have lost the antenna blisters along the top of the fuselage.

The model pictured is a KC-97G, wing tanks, no APX-29A or UHF/DF on the top.

--Dan
    Never trust a clean Crew Chief.

Actually the KC-97L was more common than one might think. Originally built by mechanics at the 128th ARW of the Wisconsin ANG (Milwaukee)in 1964, utilizing J-47 engines from KB-50 aircraft. It was assigned to Ohio, Wis, Il, and a number of other ANG units, along with the Spanish AF. There were 81 built.
    USAFVET
    12 year USAF veteran , Air Trans
    "Life is like herding cats through a fish market".

Quote Originally Posted by HvyEng View Post

--Dan
    OOPS! My old eyes saw those pods and "jet engine" just flashed through my mind. I failed to note the obvious: a jet engine has a big round hole front and back

Honestly though: I never saw a KC with wing tanks. With a full load of JP-4 and all the avgas we could load it was hard enough to get off the ground. Did those wing tanks replace some of the others?

Quote Originally Posted by usafvet View Post
    Will there be functioning radar? Just curious....
    The screenshot of the pilot's view does not show one. The co-pilot had a repeater of the navigator's APS-42 mounted above the windscreen center. It was nice to have when weather was nasty.
    It wasn't what one would call a great radar but it was ok.

Blog Entries

2D panel...

Noticed your 2D panel...
    If you are interested... I can rework it...
    Here is an example I just did:

A new 2D wide panel test for the soon to be released KC-97...
    Available as usual...

Cheers,
    G.

Here's the same panel...just added a weather radar:

Last edited by gaucho_59; January 18th, 2015 at 11:02. Reason: added picture

Quote Originally Posted by HvyEng View Post

--Dan
    Thanks for that - I see now.

Members who have read this thread: 4