Hurricane
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane

Hurricane

I have found this model to be a right PITA to paint. Panel sizes are different even on the same texture! And I still can't find the leading edge of the left wing tip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 402 Sqn Hurribomber 1.jpg   402 Sqn Hurribomber 2.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

Some Devs shoot themselves in the foot with crummy paint kits. I've bought a couple aircraft just because of some excellent repaints ie A2A Spitfire 3 with Tom Weiss repaints although I already had a couple Spits

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSHQ View Post
    Some Devs shoot themselves in the foot with crummy paint kits. I've bought a couple aircraft just because of some excellent repaints ie A2A Spitfire 3 with Tom Weiss repaints although I already had a couple Spits
    While developers have the know how to build beautiful models, some of them will admit that they hate mapping textures and in the process produce poorly mapped models. It's not so much that the paint kit is bad, but rather that the original mapping was poorly conceived and poorly executed.

I agree with all said. I can see a situation where something may not get mapped as an over sight.
    Curiosity makes me ask, by chance have you created a layer that is a solid color, above everything to see if the area may have been mapped, although one bit of mesh "stacked" over (or mixed in) another bit of mesh? I can see (and have fixed) this happening on templates.

Once you find the area is painted, you may have to walk through the template parts one by one with colors or numbers. My method is a lot of work, but it does help if you're determined.

Concerning the different sizes of identical (or opposite) areas, re-scale them to make them the same to your likings. Just a suggestion.

When I was developing the Seabee, I had a re-painter in the beta program specifically to give me feedback on the paint kit. I know that re-paints are a big part of sales, and that if someone did re-paints, it means more marketing and sales. Its not an area that can be ignored by dev's, so I warn anyone that wants to be lazy with paint kits.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

I very much agree, Kevin. A Repainter in the early stages prior to release play a very important "key role" to the friendly-ness for the end user. Especially for someone who enjoys painting models. Not only are they making the model easier to paint, they are also finding (and relaying to the creator) of deficiencies that need to be addressed.

Flipped normals or an inverted poly, a gap, etc. I see it in many times even from the best developers.

If a developer merely imagines the flak resulting from a rotten paint kit he (or she?) might pay more attention to the job. It's not as if the tools to produce one are lacking, and it's not so hard to produce a layer labelling which bits of the mapping belong where.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Agreed, Tom.

Something as simple as a "text/info" layer that identifies parts (or groups of) takes a minute amount of time on the developer and beta painters part, and communicating. When they transfer the mesh to the template. Some (a lot!) simply do not care.

(Added) The parts ID was obviously traced to make the repaints that are/were released when it made consumer status. I see no need to be put through having to re-trace the steps aside from utter laziness on the developers end. (End Added)

If I am considering a model purchase, I've learned to critique (not count rivets) every part. Including "user friendly" templates

Despite the problems, your paintwork looks very nice.

The model is hard to repaint because there is so much detail in the actual model that the textures "hop, crop and stretch". Also the lay out can be called "unconventional". Nevertheless I think is is the best looking Hurricane around and especially the VC is very good.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Despite the problems, your paintwork looks very nice.

The model is hard to repaint because there is so much detail in the actual model that the textures "hop, crop and stretch". Also the lay out can be called "unconventional". Nevertheless I think is is the best looking Hurricane around and especially the VC is very good.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Thanks Huub. This is my favourite model at the moment. I think it captures the rugged strength of the Hurricane very well. I have no idea how accurate it actually is but I like the way it looks and flies. I re-drew all the panel lines sometime ago and did a 302 Sqn paint which I didn't quite finish but was inspired to finish this 402 Sqn one after seeing a certain Norwegian one recently uploaded.
    Norwich, a fine city.

In general I think FSX models are primarily made to fly and not just to repaint them. So I can understand why designers do not consider the repaint friendliness as their top priority when creating a model. However I believe that repaints contribute to the success of a model.

Here is my attempt to repaint the JF Hurricane.....
    (still work in progress.....)

Nice work Huub!

Cees

Merry Christmas everybody.

Nice scheme Huub.

I have to say I take a small offence at being called "lazy"!

I think 55 productions in 9 years could hardly be called lazy?!

This hobby evolves. It now seems paintkits drive sales (personally I don't believe this much as I don't see all that many paints from the general market for any add-on. A handful of enthusiastic re-skinners unfortunately does not make a huge difference to sales.

These days, unless the add-on has "deep systems", 100% functionality in everything in the cockpit, photographic textures and more, it will not satisfy. Shame really, speaking entirely personally, I don't have the patience to wait years for a product. I'd rather build something that is honest in quality and features, get it to market in a timely manner and move on.

All this extra work costs time which equals money. Most devs will not receive any more for their labours so such feature creep reduces the dev's earnings.

Anyway enough of that. Have a great break, enjoy the Hurri for what it is and we'll see you with some surprises in the new year.

Hi Bazz, a Merry Christmas to you as well. I think I've said all I had to say in my previous post and I definitely would't call you "lazy" * wink*
    However it is a pity the model didn't come with the dog....

Cheers,
    Huub

In general I think FSX models are primarily made to fly and not just to repaint them. So I can understand why designers do not consider the repaint friendliness as their top priority when creating a model. However I believe that repaints contribute to the success of a model.

Here is my attempt to repaint the JF Hurricane.....
    (still work in progress.....)

Now that is magnificent! You got me drooling over my keyboard here!

Cheers,

Johan

Here's a shot of a Belgian Hurricane, doing what they never did in reality: firing their guns in anger. Most of them were in fact destroyed on the ground...

Dumonceau
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belgian Hurricane.jpg  

Not completely true. On the 2nd of March 1940 3 Belgian Hurricanes intercepted a German Do.17 which was flying over (still) neutral Belgium. And there is a record which states the Hurricane H-23 got damaged when it intercepted some He111 on the 10th of May 1940.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    This hobby evolves. It now seems paintkits drive sales (personally I don't believe this much as I don't see all that many paints from the general market for any add-on. A handful of enthusiastic re-skinners unfortunately does not make a huge difference to sales.
    Bazz, I don't think the "handful of enthusiastic re-skinners" make the real difference in sales, but the people who decide to purchase after they have seen one of their favourite models in their favourite livery. Posting images of re-skinned models is free advertising for the model.

Cheers,
    Huub

nice paint, Huub!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

A fine repaint Huub

I was hoping to see a few RAF repaints but as yet there is only 1 I'm aware of.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Not completely true. On the 2nd of March 1940 3 Belgian Hurricanes intercepted a German Do.17 which was flying over (still) neutral Belgium. And there is a record which states the Hurricane H-23 got damaged when it intercepted some He111 on the 10th of May 1940.

Bazz, I don't think the "handful of enthusiastic re-skinners" make the real difference in sales, but the people who decide to purchase after they have seen one of their favourite models in their favourite livery. Posting images of re-skinned models is free advertising for the model.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Oh I understand the value of these kinds of images and activity Huub and grateful for them too. Sometimes a mapping method may very well be difficult to follow but then it would have been done to help speed development and get the product out quicker. There are so many variables. Some like lots of weather and scratches, others don't Some people have the skills to start with a "bare"canvas, others don't. We generally produce what we believe to be a good cross-section of models and liveries/schemes to satisfy most people "out-of-the box". Amending existing textures to carry different codes or adding a bit of noseart or other markings is usually simple stuff to regular painters like you!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    A fine repaint Huub

I was hoping to see a few RAF repaints but as yet there is only 1 I'm aware of.
    Hi Roger,

I'm a bit confuse as the JF package for FSX contains several RAF versions for the model with the two bladed propeller. I think you are mixed this model with the "old" Aeroplane Heaven Hurricane which was released as freeware. When my memory is correct that only contained one livery (111 squadron) for the two bladed propeller model.

When you want to have some extra RAF liveries for that model, I can have a look, as this model is much easier to repaint than the FSX version. As I need to make a the basic textures first (layered paintkit) it will take a while as there are a few other models I would like to repaint first.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi Huub,

I was hoping for a few more RAF repaints with the new paint kit that Bazz supplied for the FsX version without the "rain washed" effect.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post

I was hoping for a few more RAF repaints with the new paint kit that Bazz supplied for the FsX version without the "rain washed" effect.
    Roger, I didn't use the paint kit but is this the kind of thing you were looking for?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurri 402Sqn.jpg   Hurri 1Sqn.jpg   Hurricane 303 Sqn.jpg   Hurricane 257 Sqn.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

They're smashing Nick

ATB
    DaveB

Great work Nick!

Huub

Members who have read this thread: 3