Hurricane - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurricane 87 Sqn  LK-A 2.jpg   Hurricane 87 Sqn  LK-A 1.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

Ahh.. excellent job Nick Thanks for taking a looksee

ATB
    DaveB

Airfix! Seemed a logical choice after the black version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurricane 87 Sqn  LK-A Flt Lt I R Gleed 2.jpg   Hurricane 87 Sqn  LK-A Flt Lt I R Gleed 1.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

Question

Why is it LK-A on one side and A-LK on the other?

Why is it LK-A on one side and A-LK on the other?
    It varied. Sometimes the two letters would be ahead of the roundel on both sides, where the fuselage had more room for the letters, and sometimes they would be ahead on one side or behind on the other. The important thing is that the double letter was always the same on both sides and not, say, LK*A on one and L*KA on the other.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Most photos of Mk. I Hurricanes I've found have the squadron code (LK) to the left of the RAF roundel and the aircraft letter (A) to the right, irrespective of which side of the fuselage they're on. This would seem to be the way most codes were applied early in the war. Later the squadron code was always applied forward of the roundel on both sides. The problem we repainters have is that we mostly work from one or two photos unless we're depicting a preserved/museum example, in which case they may not be accurate anyway....

Whatever, these are great paints Nick!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

The problem we repainters have is that we mostly work from one or two photos
    And on top of that most photos are taken from the left hand side. Pics showing the same aircraft from both sides are rare.

Fantastic, look forward to those.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    The problem we repainters have is that we mostly work from one or two photos unless we're depicting a preserved/museum example, in which case they may not be accurate anyway....

Whatever, these are great paints Nick!

DaveQ
    I've dabbled in a couple of repaints myself I'm just not widely known here yet....and yeah they are great repaints.

Great repaints Nick!

Rule of thumb is that the roundels should match positionally on either side. The double letters are the squadron code, the single letter being the aircraft code. This obviously must never be altered. Combinations used to change dependent on the squadron. Some employed larger aquadron codes with a smaller aircraft letter. Then you have the "odd" and "even" number camouflage system of reversing the two colours. This was the "A" and "B"camouflage system. Yes there are quite a few little potholes for repainters to fall into!

Rule of thumb is that the roundels should match positionally on either side.
    Yes. The roundels and serials were painted on at the factory (Langley, as it might be!) when the aircraft was built. The squadron codes were applied after delivery to the RAF when issued to a particular squadron.

Ahh.. love that PRU scheme Zsolt

ATB
    DaveB

Zsolt

I do like that Norwegian one, very nice.
    Norwich, a fine city.

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Zsolt

I do like that Norwegian one, very nice.
    Thanks,

Available the week!

Zsolt
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Many thanks to Nick and Zsolt for giving us some great new options for the BoB Hurricane.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sea Hurricane 7L- 880 RNAS 1.jpg   Sea Hurricane 7L- 880 RNAS 2.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

Well.. I go to the foot of our stairs What a little belta

Zsolt.. still no sign of your PRU blue paint??

ATB
    DaveB

Superb repaints these are, NickB! That latest one will look superb flying over ORBX's Old Warden scenery (though it also reminds me how much I miss flying Robert Sanderson's incredible Sea Hurricane in FS9).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hurricane 1 Sqn Flt Lt A Clowes_2.jpg   Hurricane 1 Sqn Flt Lt A Clowes_1.jpg  
    Norwich, a fine city.

Members who have read this thread: 3