FSX or Prepar3d

Thread: FSX or Prepar3d

FSX or Prepar3d

I have been running FS9 and CFS2 since they both came out, yet I have also been getting the itch about updating to a more modern sim platform. Both FSX and prepar3d look good to me, but which is 'better' (subjective I know)?
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf190 View Post
    I have been running FS9 and CFS2 since they both came out, yet I have also been getting the itch about updating to a more modern sim platform. Both FSX and prepar3d look good to me, but which is 'better' (subjective I know)?
    Depends on your rig. P3d runs better, looks better. And is all around a better sim. You need a quad core processor and a dx 11 comparable gpu, preferably with 2 gigs of memory.

read some of the stuff at the top of this forum for some excellent info.

p3d is what Fsx 11 should have become you would be very pleased with it as are most of us running it. I don't even use Fsx anymore.

bob

Howdy Bob,

currently I am running a i7-930 @ 2.8ghz with 6gigs of DDR3 1600 Ram and a Gtx460 card.

for Christmas I am planning on replacing the card with a GTX 970 and adding in a SSD as my main system drive. Now that school is done, I also want to overclock my i7 to around 3.6Ghz. I have a Noctua DH-14 sitting on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    Depends on your rig. P3d runs better, looks better. And is all around a better sim. You need a quad core processor and a dx 11 comparable gpu, preferably with 2 gigs of memory.

read some of the stuff at the top of this forum for some excellent info.

p3d is what Fsx 11 should have become you would be very pleased with it as are most of us running it. I don't even use Fsx anymore.

bob
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Howdy Bob,

currently I am running a i7-930 @ 2.8ghz with 6gigs of DDR3 1600 Ram and a Gtx460 card.

for Christmas I am planning on replacing the card with a GTX 970 and adding in a SSD as my main system drive. Now that school is done, I also want to overclock my i7 to around 3.6Ghz. I have a Noctua DH-14 sitting on top of it.

That rig would run P3D 2.4 very well! I have an old quad Q6600 which I run OCed from 2.4 to 3.0Ghz. I also had a 460 which run P3D at medium-low settings quite well. I did exactly the same as you propose, i.e. install a GTX970 and a 512GB SSD where I transferred my FSX and P3D installed. P3D now runs at full right settings and 2x DSR at almost twice the FPS it run on the 460. Go for it and you will not regret it.

Comparatively FSX runs worse as it is more dependent on processor and my old quad does not help.

Members +
    Wulf, I love your signature, a great movie & series. Pity just the one.

The biggest system change between FSX and P3D_V2.4 is that P3D now relies heavily on the GPU to process all texture loading. It's for that reason that at least a 600 or higher Graphics card with at least 2 gig is a necessity. Also, go right to V2.4 without stopping at 1.4, lol. I know of a few folks who are running FSX, P3D_V1.4 and P3D_V2.4. . .developers mostly, but V1.4 is like a starter kit for the real thing. It's too much like FSX to consider running both and it doesn't contain any of the amazing improvements made for the current version.

So what level of license should I look at? The $60 or the $200?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    The biggest system change between FSX and P3D_V2.4 is that P3D now relies heavily on the GPU to process all texture loading. It's for that reason that at least a 600 or higher Graphics card with at least 2 gig is a necessity. Also, go right to V2.4 without stopping at 1.4, lol. I know of a few folks who are running FSX, P3D_V1.4 and P3D_V2.4. . .developers mostly, but V1.4 is like a starter kit for the real thing. It's too much like FSX to consider running both and it doesn't contain any of the amazing improvements made for the current version.

So what level of license should I look at? The $60 or the $200?
    The Academic License. . .I haven't checked in a while but it was around $49.00

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    It's a no brainer ...... P3D V2.4 for sure.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    That rig would run P3D 2.4 very well! I have an old quad Q6600 which I run OCed from 2.4 to 3.0Ghz. I also had a 460 which run P3D at medium-low settings quite well. I did exactly the same as you propose, i.e. install a GTX970 and a 512GB SSD where I transferred my FSX and P3D installed. P3D now runs at full right settings and 2x DSR at almost twice the FPS it run on the 460. Go for it and you will not regret it.

Comparatively FSX runs worse as it is more dependent on processor and my old quad does not help.
    Always wondered what my system would run like if I OC'ed it, but don't know enough about doing that, and was always (still am, for that matter) afraid of really messing things up. NC

I had a Q6600 which I overclocked to a bit over 3 GHz. I even undervolted it and never had a problem with the setup.
    It seems to me, with the newer P3D versions, the performance hog really shifted towards the GPUs. I have a GTX 970 4gb now and the difference between this card and the former GTX 660 2gb is remarkable. I'd say it at least doubled the frame rate, with sliders maxed in the 970 setup.

If I had to choose I'd definitely opt for P3D. No brainer, as Pat said :-)

Cheers,
    Mark
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

I'm not going to choose. I'm running FS9, FSXA and now P3D - all on the same machine.

I'm told that P3D doesn't like VFR AI without a fix. Anyone know anything about it?

Dave

There was an issue with P3d V2.0 regarding VFR AI but that's been fixed. Don't know of any current issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0