Defragmentng

Thread: Defragmentng

Icon27 Defragmentng

Anyone have some suggestions or recommended programs for defragging a hard drive?

I'm running Windows 8.1 with a new hard drive. Within the last month I noticed that the hard drive remains at 1% fragmentation . I've used the default MS defrag program several times as well as letting it defrag automatically, but I'm still at 1% fragmentation.

There is no report available to let me know if its a system file or application, so I have no way of trying to repair or replace the fragmented files. There are no errors on the hard drive, BTW.

Anyone encounter this type of situation before and have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

If it is a SSD, you do NOT want to defrag it as that will shorten it's useful live, according to the "Experts". For a standard hard drive, I use the freeware Iobit program. It works in the background and I have been pleased with how it works. You can also do a manual analysis and defrag if you wish.

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.php

There are other free ones out there also but this is the only one I have experience with and know that it works OK for me.

Lyn

Blog Entries
    I use avg pc tuneup 2015, this does more then just defrag
    I think it is free for a 1 time use

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-pctuneup
    Look What I Have Become!

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    I use avg pc tuneup 2015, this does more then just defrag
    I think it is free for a 1 time use

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-pctuneup
    Yes that's the one I use too except I have the licensed version, It's worth it to me. As Ickie says it does so much more than just defrag.
    MickeyD

Blog Entries
    I have mine set to auto pilot, every 3 days it does a tuneup
    Look What I Have Become!

I use CCCleaner a lot, and I notice they have a defrag app as well.

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

I'll need to do some comparisons and see what they provide above what the default defrag program does.

I'm hesitant to download or purchase something that doesn't address what I'm experiencing.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

I use Compuclever PC TuneUp Maestro. It cost $36.00 but I think it's well worth the cost. It does a LOT of other stuff (corrects the registry, etc.) besides defragging. In fact,...the program will notify when you need to defrag.

http://www.compuclever.com/products/...stro/download/
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

I use IOBit, seems to work well enough and its free.

Oh, and you do not want to nor is there any need to defragment a SSD.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Anyone have some suggestions or recommended programs for defragging a hard drive?

I'm running Windows 8.1 with a new hard drive. Within the last month I noticed that the hard drive remains at 1% fragmentation . I've used the default MS defrag program several times as well as letting it defrag automatically, but I'm still at 1% fragmentation.

There is no report available to let me know if its a system file or application, so I have no way of trying to repair or replace the fragmented files. There are no errors on the hard drive, BTW.

Anyone encounter this type of situation before and have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    If the fragmentation remains at 1%, then probably your pagefile is fragmented. Move it over to another HDD, that will help performance as well.

Dumonceau

I keep my C drive defragmented. There is also a "System Reserved" that never gets defragmented.
    I asked about this about two years ago when I first built this computer and was told that it doesn't need to be defragmented. It goes up about 1% every two months and now reads "30% fragmented".

Is there a defragmenter that will work on System Reserved?
    Last edited by Rudyjo; December 21st, 2014 at 13:48.

I've been using Iobit SmartDefrag with no issues other than sometimes getting a window saying a newer version is out, which I already use. My experience has been that when you sit at a persistent 1% fragged it usually is a temp file(s) or one that is too big to defrag. After each scan there should be a list of unfragged files to review so you can move, delete or otherwise deal with the culprit.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

I use the ultimate defrag 4 (for now). I tried that defraggler and it's Okay. It's kinda strange that some defraggers will analyze your HD and give different amount of percentages of defraged files.

Guess it is all in the algorithms.

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    One thing AVG can't do though, it can't make me a coffee!!!
    MickeyD

Members who have read this thread: 0