WBS P-51 question! I am lost ;)

Thread: WBS P-51 question! I am lost ;)

WBS P-51 question! I am lost ;)

Hi all,

I have just received this very recently released book (P-51 Mustang, by René Francillon - French author) and it gave me the opportunity to review the Warbirdsim add-ons I have in my hangar. Then I asked myself : Do I have all the different variants released by Warbirdsim?
    After visiting the WBS website, I could not answer the question.

The following packages are in my FSX hangar :

- P-51 B/C and Mustang III
    - P-51 D Little Friends I & II
    - P-51 D Restored 1 & 2
    - Mustang Tales part 1/2/3

Are there any more different P-51 variants on sale by WBS?
    Thanks !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arton4565.jpg  

You need to add The Mustang collection.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    You need to add The Mustang collection.
    I understood the Mustang collection takes 20 aircrafts from 5 different products..which I have I think.

Maybe I miss the P-51K version only...

Correct...the P-51K...which includes the BF-109k from Flight Replicas. A great package. I can't say enough about WBS aircraft.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I have a somewhat related question - does anyone know how to add P-51 B or C repaints to the new Mustang Collection package? I downloaded a couple of them with aircraft.cfgs that reference "panel = 5" and "model = 5". But the Collection's P-51B folder only includes models and panels 1-4. If anyone has a handy reference for which panels and models go with which variants, that'd be great. If not, no big deal - I'm happy to dig in the folders and figure out how to match them up. Just thought I'd ask on the off chance that there's a ready shortcut. Thanks in advance!
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

I'd say you have the lot, Cleartheprop, the K is in one of those packages I'd say. edit: I checked, there's a K in restored 1 and little friends 1

Alan, sorry, no shortcut from me, but it may be that the original package had 5 models, each with small differences (like the malcolm hood), but the paints should in principle fit any B/C model, so just fill in any model number and you should be fine. If you find out what the differences are, you can pick the model closest to what 5 was supposed to be.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thanks, Jankees. Have had partial success - got the paints (including your Group 2/33 F-7) to show using one of the model/panel choices, but with black props and spinners. Since I'm most of the way there, though, I'll keep exploring.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    I'd say you have the lot, Cleartheprop, the K is in one of those packages I'd say. edit: I checked, there's a K in restored 1 and little friends 1
    Thank you Jan. Thats what I suspected Those Mustangs are so great, I feel I will never have enough in my hangar.

Cleartheprop, you pretty much have the lot!
    The then and now series are the only ones you seem to be missing.

It's really encouraging to know there is still a big interest in our P-51s.
    We have toyed with doing further sets, including the Hardwick Warbirds 'Janie' and 'Marinell'.
    John had done much of the work, but we never got around to releasing them.

For detailed explanations on the individual current aircraft, check on the product pages.
    Mustang tales:
    http://www.warbirdsim.com/Store.do?s...=38&category=1

Albert
    www.warbirdsim.com

Alan..

Black props/spinners and perhaps canopy(?) could well be down to the texture.cfg.. it sounds like it's calling for common textures and can't find them rather than the model being completely different (although calling for a particular model won't help either). I had the same problem recently with FW190 paints. The 190 was originally released as an early set and a late set. I bought the whole kit and caboodle set (the same as on CD but on download from F1) and it took a while but I got there in the end.
    You can probably get the paint you want to fit the model you want by a process of elimination. Alternatively.. PCAviator.au are selling the B,C,III pack for 50% off

ATB
    DaveB

@DaveB - thanks, that makes sense. Now that I think about it, I went through some similar gyrations when I was getting the interim vintage VC set up for Manfred's C-47. I'll have a look at the .cfg. Though, to your other point, I just came down from a quick test flight in one of the D models and thought to myself, in a resigned yet happy sort of way, "I'm going to wind up buying all of these, aren't I?" At 50 percent off for the B/C/III group, I guess I am.

Somebody is going to have to explain to me why these Mustangs are so enjoyable but they definitely are.

On my way to part with more dollars...

EDIT: Oh, man, they're all 50 percent off. I sort of wish I hadn't known that.... oh, well...

-- Saint-Exupery

hahahahaha..

I know exactly how you feel Alan. I jumped in late with the WBS models. I was fed up with the WWII Fighters Mustang and didn't want to go for another from the same stable. An innocent thread here asking what the differences were in the packages (I'd been suitably confused too) was enough for me to buy one pack.. then another.. then another e t c. I've resisted Mustang Tales thus far but I know it will only be a matter of time before I crack and complete the set I often just load them into FSX and look at them or fly them from the tower Believe it or not.. I bought restored part 2 just for the Moose/Candyman paint. I could have done it myself but hey.. what the heck. You can't take it with you

ATB
    DaveB

Yeah, I had the feeling the Mustang Collection was going to be the gateway drug...

It looks like there's some overlap among the different sets - am I right in assuming that if I install them, they'll just find their way to the right folders? Sorry if that question has been asked before (even by me) but it's hard to figure out.

Oh, and a note for others reading this thread - pcaviator.com.au doesn't have all the packages available, but they have most of them, and those that they do have are all 50 percent off. So you won't come away with a complete set but you'll be close.

-- Saint-Exupery

Ah.. they must have withdrawn a few then.

And yes Alan.. if you buy every single set.. there is no overlap 'in sim'. They all have unique attributes which means they all display. Jan did a gallon of paints for them too (over a hundred.. though he didn't do Candyman!!!) so you can easily dedicate a lot of disc space to Mustangs!

ATB
    DaveB
    (I fell Mustang Tales coming on!!!!)

Makes sense - thought I guess The Collection will overlap with the other sets since it's sort of a greatest hits album.

That's OK... nothing we can't work with...

And yes to Jan's paints - am doing my test runs on a couple of them prior to downloading several large shipments...

-- Saint-Exupery

Indeed

I wasn't going to go for Mustang Tales (though the pull of a naval version has rested heavily with me) but just bought it from PCAau before the sale ended. Woe is me!

I can't see any of the main packs missing there Alan. They have part 1 and 2 (restored).. the 3 Now and Then series.. Little Friends 1 and 2.. Mustang Tales.. the B, C and III pack plus the double.. K and BF109. The last one has me a bit miffed. I already have the Flight Replicas 109 and the only difference between this and the 'Duo' are the paints for the K and 109 (they're different to the single 109 but sit on the same model). Shame as it's a similar price to buying the 109 on its own

Now.. I have every model Jan's paints will fit!

ATB
    DaveB

As near as I can tell (but I'm new at this), the only ones missing are the P-51D sets 1 and 2, and "Then and Now" volume 3.

It looks like some of the aircraft in the D 1 and 2 sets overlap with some of the others, but I may be confused about that.

I do seem to have come away with seven volumes at half price - including the K model with the 109K. I don't own the 109, and to be honest don't often fly Luftwaffe hardware, but I seem to be in an experimental frame of mind. Blame the eggnog!

Off to download now...

EDIT: No, it turns out you're right - the items I thought were missing are in fact there. They don't include "Warbirdsim" in the title, so I missed them in my first search, but found them when I searched on "Mustang" So, on to round two... sigh...

-- Saint-Exupery

Hi Alan

Not sure you're seeing the same page. Here's a link to what I'm seeing.. http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/home.php?cat=807

This shows vol 1, 2 and the 'missing' Then and Now.. plus all the others of course I only have one of the Then and Now sets.. Twilight Tear. This one was a regular at the Duxford Airshows years ago and it turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. All the info they had at the time pointed to this airframe being Twilight Tear so it was painted up as such. It transpired that the 'real' Twilight Tear airframe was in the US (awaiting a rebuild) so the TFC graciously relinquished the name so it could go on the correct airframe. More info than required I know but that's the reason I bought that particular set

The FR 109K-4 is a nice model and flies well. I have a Mustang 'K' in one of the other sets so I'll make do with not having to buy the 109 again just to get the missing Mustang K's.

Have fun out there

EDIT: Just caught your Edit Alan. I feel for your plastic!!

ATB
    DaveB

Yeah, the card is definitely groaning... but in a good way.

Actually, I have no problem buying into something I've tried out and liked. It works as long as I stay focused on just a few good titles. In the past I've gone astray by buying lots of "experimental" stuff (as in, "I'll try out the Captain Sim B-Whatever, it's such a discount.") That winds up being wasted cash because the aircraft never get flown.

The only other title I had an eye on was the Milviz F-86 - and I see now that they're offering that at 40 percent off, so that'll be round three. I might also pick up a missing chunk of Orbx Alaska, and then I'm out.

I could quit anytime, he said, yet again....

EDIT: But before I quit, wanted to say thanks for pointing me to the sale. I've been trying to keep track but I hadn't been aware of this one. Glad to be able to take advantage.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by WarBert View Post
    Cleartheprop, you pretty much have the lot!
    The then and now series are the only ones you seem to be missing.

It's really encouraging to know there is still a big interest in our P-51s.
    We have toyed with doing further sets, including the Hardwick Warbirds 'Janie' and 'Marinell'.
    John had done much of the work, but we never got around to releasing them.

For detailed explanations on the individual current aircraft, check on the product pages.
    Mustang tales:
    http://www.warbirdsim.com/Store.do?s...=38&category=1

Albert
    www.warbirdsim.com
    Thank you WarBert! I'll have a look at the "Then and Now" series. If I understood properly, those package include different skins and cockpit equipment of one specific model.

Of one particular 'airframe' cleartheprop It's like parts 1 and 2 (Restored) but you get a version of how that airframe would have looked and been kitted out back in the day too

ATB
    DaveB

Having installed all the Mustang sets (thanks, DaveB and PC Aviator Australia!), and uninstalled the Mustang Collection to avoid duplication, I can report that they fall into place nicely but I think are still some doubles. I seem to have a number of Happy Jack's Go Buggies, for example, more than would be accounted for by the wartime version and the two (I think) restored examples. Am guessing that they're getting picked up from both Little Friends and the Then and Now sets. Not a big deal by any means - just a matter of clicking through and making sure you've got the right one. Still a lot to sort out but I'm getting there.

And reporting back on an earlier question - the B-model repaints that I was having trouble with install perfectly well into the complete B/C/III set, since the model and panel numbers match up. I never did get around to figuring out how to set them up with the Mustang Collection models, but I'm sure it's possible. I would have gotten there if not for that blasted sale...

Now, off to fly...
    Last edited by Alan_A; December 20th, 2014 at 12:04.

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Of one particular 'airframe' cleartheprop It's like parts 1 and 2 (Restored) but you get a version of how that airframe would have looked and been kitted out back in the day too

ATB
    DaveB
    I picked up the HJGB set and its actually exactly what you described! Nice package!

@ Alan..
    It's a crying shame you've ended up with a set of duplicates having bought the Mustang Collection first. It's a great idea offering a cross section of models and paints in one set but I can understand it leaving you wanting more. It would have been nice if the collection contained unique paints not found in the other sets. This would offset the feeling you've thrown a few dollars against the wall and may have encouraged other users to jump in and buy that set too. Hindsight is great isn't it

@ Cleartheprop..
    Glad you're happy with 'Happy Jack' That's a set I've yet to buy and I keep telling myself NO!!

ATB
    DaveB

Oh, don't get me wrong - I have no problem at all with having bought the Collection - it was a very nice way to sample all the models and answer a lot of questions I'd had about them. It's in tribute to how good they are that I bought the rest of the sets. Strictly my choice, and I'm sure I could have had a good time with the Collection models and some repaints, as others had suggested. Would probably have done that if my Australian PC Aviator friends hadn't made it so easy to cross the line.

My current duplicates come, I think, from within the regular sets. For example, if I'm reconstructing it correctly, there's a WWII Happy Jack's Go Buggy in the Then and Now set and also in one of the others (Little Friends? sorry, I don't have the full list in front of me but you know what I mean). Since those are in different folders, they read as different aircraft, and Then and Now installation doesn't overwrite the other install. Not an issue by any means and it only affects a handful among dozens and dozens of versions. So I'm good.

Added benefit of buying the regular sets - I was able to do a no-tweak install of the B model of Short Fuse Sallee, which as Jankees knows is a particular devotion of mine.

So at the end of the day, I'm a happy though somewhat impoverished camper...

-- Saint-Exupery

Members who have read this thread: 0