FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only! - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    So untill There is a resolution for FSUIPC tp work with FSX SE, I see no reason to install the Steam version.
    Pete Dowson said that he can't publish a new version until Jan. 9th, but he will definitely do an update.

On the A2A forum, someone said that the registry key are different only if FSX is already installed on the computer.
    If you install FSX-SE on a computer where FSX does not exist, then FSX-SE uses the same registry keys and same folder for FSX.cfg than FSX.
    Can anybody confirm ?

Yes, i confirm that. I had only p3d. Installed FSX:SE and it uses the same folders of FSX:MS. The same appdata folders, registry,etc.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

Bought it just to have a digital back up of FsX, will install the Steam version next time I reinstall my computer.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    On the A2A forum, someone said that the registry key are different only if FSX is already installed on the computer.
    If you install FSX-SE on a computer where FSX does not exist, then FSX-SE uses the same registry keys and same folder for FSX.cfg than FSX.
    Can anybody confirm ?
    Yes. That happened here. FSX-SE used all my old FSX cfgs which I had not removed after FSX went south. I just moved the old install to an external drive for future reference.

I had to deactivate a lot of scenery of course, since it used the old scenery cfg. and I do not have all of them installed.

I used the Flight1 Registry Repair tool to change the registry to the steam folder and smart instalis find it ok.

So far the only things that don't work are utilities that use the SDK or read/write to cfg files and one 3rd party GPS gauge so far.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

FYI, to celebrate the re-release of FSX, I put the Seabee on sale for 10$ off. If you don't already have it, now may be a good time! Its FSX:SE compatible!

http://www.kcflightshop.com

Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
    I put the Seabee on sale for 10$ off.

Much appreciated Kevin. Looks like Santa will be hauling a Seabee down the chimney in a few days.

I have MS FSX installed, so if I go ahead and install the Steam version on the same PC it will cause a conflict then or will it create a totally different folder in the app data folder?
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Much appreciated Kevin. Looks like Santa will be hauling a Seabee down the chimney in a few days.
    I don't have the SeaBee, as I gave my copy away upon release to another member here. But be sure to check the SOH archives for different schemes I, and Jankees did for it. Amongst other painters of which I can't remember who they were back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    I have MS FSX installed, so if I go ahead and install the Steam version on the same PC it will cause a conflict then or will it create a totally different folder in the app data folder?
    It will create a new folder under Steam
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Thanks Gibbage, I am just so hesitant but will probably give it a shot in the next couple days. Does anyone know if the Orbx stuff works with it yet?
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

FYI, to celebrate the re-release of FSX, I put the Seabee on sale for 10$ off
    Can you reassure my addled brain that this isn't a Steam-specific version or anything like that?

[This John Hartford joke intentionally left blank ]

Thanks!
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Add-ons on FSX Steam

Hi All

Couldn't resist £3.99 in the UK, so opened a Steam account yesterday and downloaded the game - it installed prefectly and runs every bit as well as can be expected on my sytem. I've also just installed my Just Flight VFR Real scenery and their BoB Anniversary Spit, Hurricane and 109; no problems at all and everything's running really well. Hope that reassures anyone who was concerned about installation and add-ons. An not an activation code in sight - hurrah!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Can you reassure my addled brain that this isn't a Steam-specific version or anything like that?

[This John Hartford joke intentionally left blank ]

Thanks!
    Its the normal FSX version that works in Steam. I have made 0 changes to the add-on. It just worked!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Its the normal FSX version that works in Steam. I have made 0 changes to the add-on. It just worked!
    Great, then I'm probably gonna buy it!
    MarkH

Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Navy Chief, sorry for the dumb question, but since your normal FSX still works correctly, why would you want to install the Steam edition right now ?
    I see the Steam edition of FSX like a convenient backup, in case something happens to your DVDs or in case you get in trouble for reactivating your regular FSX.
    Well, I just finally got around to completing install of FSX-S. It appears to run on the same drive as my FSX-O with no problems, whatsoever. Actually, it's kinda nice having a fresh install of FSX. I can pick/choose what to add to it.

Framerates are quite excellent. Have a lot of tweaking to do. But DO like this. NC

NC,
    At the risk of flogging the proverbial dead horse here, how did the FSX Steam version's AppData files install for you after you got past that prompt message you posted earlier in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    NC,
    At the risk of flogging the proverbial dead horse here, how did the FSX Steam version's AppData files install for you after you got past that prompt message you posted earlier in this thread?
    To tell you the truth, Tarps, I did not look! All I know is, so far, there are no glitches. The Steam version installed ok. I did notice one thing a little odd. I had just installed the FSXBA Hornet, and selected to put the tailhook down. For some reason, there is about a 3 second delay in animation. NC

Blog Entries
    Idiot question of the year ... what version is this? Is this Accel/Gold, or an equivalent? As in, moving carriers, etc.

thanks.

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Idiot question of the year ... what version is this? Is this Accel/Gold, or an equivalent? As in, moving carriers, etc.

thanks.

dl
    It includes Acceleration. NC

If you missed the sale the first time, it's back on sale for another 48 hours for New Year's.

I bought it too because my FSX just stopped working (I suspect that FSTramp screwed it up again) but where is the folder for FSX? I can't find it anywhere.

BTW, this steam thing is awful. Had to get 4 codes to register on top of every other convoluted operation that steam requires, an unbelievable snafu.

At the steam forums a thread titled 'Worst thing about steam' is 230 pages long. That should tell you something.

Icon28 Flight1 Registry Repair tool ?

I used the Flight1 Registry Repair tool to change the install folder and it would not work for a few plane installers. There are a few that will not allow me to install to a different folder. I must say that I do have both copies of FSX on my machine at this time. I am wondering if I just had the steam version, whether this would be a problem.

Members who have read this thread: 3