FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

For those who dont know what Steam is, its a cloud based game distribution network. You buy your game, and install it online on any computer you log into. I have been using Steam for years with no issues and have many games through them. I highly recommend using Steam.

From what the developers said, they have fixed some bugs, and most 3rd party content should still work. I hope further development continues as competition is ALWAYS a good thing.

Even if you already have FSX, NOT having to install from CD's and download X Y AND Z patch is TOTALLY worth 5$. Im also happy to support any developer willing to continue supporting FSX.

Please share you experiences here. Ill be testing both my products (Seabee and Sportstar) tonight and post the results.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

From the developer on Facebook regarding 3rd party add-on's

"There are so many add-ons currently available for FSX that we cannot promise that all of them will work with no issues. FSX: Steam Edition is installed in a different way to the boxed version and occupies a different location so it is possible that some add-ons may not work, but rest assured that we have made every effort to ensure that as many of them as possible work. Where add-ons do not immediately function with FSX: Steam Edition we will try to work with the community, developer or publisher of the add-on to find the solutions as needed. Again, we cannot promise that 100% of all add-ons released over the history of FSX will work with FSX: Steam Edition, but we are committed to trying."
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Good enough for me. For $5, it is worth a try. I already have a Steam account with games I don't play. But will give this a go.

NC

£3.99 here in the UK.

A no brainer for FSX Gold. That includes the Acceleration update and the two service packs.

I sold my FSX for £5.00 a year or so ago, as I was not really using it. I am now back into my flight sim`s, so this is a great deal.

Downloading as I type. 10GB

Kev

Cheers Gibbage, thanks for the HU!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Good enough for me. For $5, it is worth a try. I already have a Steam account with games I don't play. But will give this a go.

NC
    Hi Navy Chief.

If you have installed it can you answer a question for me? Does it go under the "Steam" folder or "Microsoft Games"? I can't imagine why they would do the latter but am very interested.
    Maybe a screen shot in Explorer from the root of the drive to the root of Steam/FSX? I'm basically trying to see if it would be possible to have both installed without interfering with each other and if an installer can figure out which to go to. All without mucking up my current install.

Originally Posted by Gibbage
    From the developer on Facebook regarding 3rd party add-on's

"There are so many add-ons currently available for FSX that we cannot promise that all of them will work with no issues. FSX: Steam Edition is installed in a different way to the boxed version and occupies a different location so it is possible that some add-ons may not work, but rest assured that we have made every effort to ensure that as many of them as possible work. Where add-ons do not immediately function with FSX: Steam Edition we will try to work with the community, developer or publisher of the add-on to find the solutions as needed. Again, we cannot promise that 100% of all add-ons released over the history of FSX will work with FSX: Steam Edition, but we are committed to trying."

This isnt good news.
    Price is shocked but I see
    -80%
    4,99€,
    not 5$ .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Pricing is region specific; for Canada it shows as $5.59. Quite a deal, really.

edit:

It's also worth noting that it's currently sitting at #5 in the top sellers list.
    Jim Stewart

At that price how can you say no?

Even the full price isn't too bad.

If enough people buy it that will be a good indicator to dovetail that there is a big enough market for them to work on a next gen flight sim.

Be interesting to see if the ORBX central program works with Steam FSX. I doubt it will work as is at the moment as the file locations will be all different.

For any simple addons that don't write to locations within FSX then I'd expect them to work as normal. Just install them to the new Steam FSX folder and you should be good to go.

EDIT: But stuff with complex copy protection etc may also not work (eg PMDG as Jimmy points out below).

it is depends on which country you are
    Here in Brazil just bought by 9,19 R$ it is equal 3,35 U$ :-P

I was just browsing the Steam discussion forums; it looks like some of the complex stuff such as PMDG isn't compatible at this point.
    Jim Stewart

Bought it, I know its all default, but I do think I am getting a bit better performance (DX9). Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I think the DX9 self shadowing looks better..

Frank, the installation path is Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Hi Navy Chief.

If you have installed it can you answer a question for me? Does it go under the "Steam" folder or "Microsoft Games"? I can't imagine why they would do the latter but am very interested.
    Maybe a screen shot in Explorer from the root of the drive to the root of Steam/FSX? I'm basically trying to see if it would be possible to have both installed without interfering with each other and if an installer can figure out which to go to. All without mucking up my current install.
    All good questions. I can only tell you at this point that it DOES get installed in the "Steam" folder. I began downloading around 12:30 CST, and currently it is at about 70% completion. Will report back, once installed. NC

So if I understand the installation path correctly, the Steam version FSX files should end up in your Steam folder and remain a separate install from whatever you've assembled on your previously installed CD-version FSX. Am I correct? I need a stock installation but I don't want to endanger what I already have, it would take forever to rebuild it.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    So if I understand the installation path correctly, the Steam version FSX files should end up in your Steam folder and remain a separate install from whatever you've assembled on your previously installed CD-version FSX. Am I correct? I need a stock installation but I don't want to endanger what I already have, it would take forever to rebuild it.
    It will make its own new folder and not alter your current FSX install.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
    However, they do share the same AppData folder if I recall correctly, so I highly suggest backing that up first.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony31 View Post
    At that price how can you say no?

-SNIP_
    Be interesting to see if the ORBX central program works with Steam FSX. I doubt it will work as is at the moment as the file locations will be all different.

-SNIP-
    One can easily "share" the OrbX folder(s) between two installs simply by moving all the OrbX files to the ROOT of a drive/partition and then
    mounting that drive/partition in the EMPTY OrbX folder of the install.

I have done this in the past to share the OrbX 'folder' and my 'Addon Scenery' folder with my FSX in Win7 and my FSX in XP on
    a dual-boot setup.

I have a new gaming system now with just Win7 Pro x64 but 2 user accounts. One for FSX and one for P3D. I have the OrbX folder configured as a mounted drive in FSX. I haven't installed P3D yet but once I do, that drive will get mounted in the nP3D 'OrbX' empty folder.

This is all done via the Windows 'Manage' 'Storage' feature.

Paul

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

It is the registry keys and the location and names of the files and folders OUTSIDE of the FSX or Steam FSX-SE install folder that you need to be concerned with.

As long as THOSE are unique to each version you will be able to run both FSX and FSX-SE side by side with no interaction, as I understand it at this point.

Paul

Yes, well, I am not quite sure about that. This is the popup I just got during install, and I stopped the install at that point, until I get some advice on what to do.

My Steam Folder for FSX on the same hard drive as my disc version of FSX. The popup says I need to do a backup of my FSX config. Not sure how to do that, for one. NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails steam popup.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Montie View Post
    Frank, the installation path is Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX
    Thanks Montie.

Would be nice to be able to buy it (to get the price) but not install it at this time, if ever.

Thanks Montie.

Would be nice to be able to buy it (to get the price) but not install it at this time, if ever.
    Am fairly certain you can do just that, and install later. Might want to doublecheck, but think so. NC

You do not need to install it when you buy it. You can install it whenever you wish.

As for that message, it makes sense. Its trying to clerify that you will have TWO copy's of FSX on your drive, and if you install an add-on in one, it will NOT show up on the other. What they are asking you to do is back up and remove the old FSX, and keep the new FSX (Steam) as your primary, to avoid confusion. Seems like good advice.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

You do not need to install it when you buy it. You can install it whenever you wish.

As for that message, it makes sense. Its trying to clerify that you will have TWO copy's of FSX on your drive, and if you install an add-on in one, it will NOT show up on the other. What they are asking you to do is back up and remove the old FSX, and keep the new FSX (Steam) as your primary, to avoid confusion. Seems like good advice.
    Yep, but I am not going to uninstall my current FSX install. For five bucks, I thought I would give this a try, but am not going to uninstall what I have now.

I have my FSX installed on a SSD drive, but config files, etc... on a different drive. NC

Thanks Montie.

I just did that. Created an account and purchased the Steam edition and then logged off.

I may or may not install it at a later date, depending upon how this all shakes out. Still too many
    open questions that need definitive answers like 'will FSUIPC4 work?' and 'can one still do a direct connect in MP?'

Those two items are an absolute must for me to install this product.

Paul

No where, as far as I can see, does it ask or imply nthat you should 'remove' your 'old copy'.

I believe that is is saying that a prudent user would back up the current FSX files/folders that reside OUTSIDE the FSX directory...those in
    your appdata\users area just so that a 'miss step' doesn't destroy them.

Reading in other forums on the registry keys used they seem to be completely separate from those used by FSX. This would/should
    allow both to reside on the same system without interference. However, that said, I am going to wait until I see evidence of that
    before I risk the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that I have invested in FSX at this point!

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 3