FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only! - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    How do I tell it not to install right away? Typically when I buy any DLC from Steam it starts the download right away. If I can buy it today and install it later then I'm all in.
    Well in for a penny etc.. I'm uninstalling P3D V 1.4 and installing FSX-S. Only ever used it to check out the Enterprise anyway. ( Need the HDD room) I think FSX-Steam will overtake P3D for the hobby simmer.
    MickeyD

Quote Originally Posted by Overshoe View Post
    SeaBee works great here Kevin.
    Did you copy the files over, or install into the Steam folder? Ironically, im waiting for my own copy to see if the installer works from Aerosoft.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Didn't plan to buy it, but oh well...5€.

Changelog:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160...9820729615790/

Surprisingly enough, there are fixes that go beyond the multiplayer part:
    * FSX: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)

* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers.

* Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.
    * Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.
    * Fix to Texture Composition preventing fail and crash.

According to the FSDev guys, the SDK is incomplete though (no XToMDL, no terrain tools), but this looks more like an oversight than bad intentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
    Did you copy the files over, or install into the Steam folder? Ironically, im waiting for my own copy to see if the installer works from Aerosoft.
    I copied from the ruins of my last install. Also, I used the Flight1 Registry repair tool to point to the steam version and a couple other installers worked seamlessly. But I don't have a disk based install to preserve. The Steam version will be my only FSX install.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

Took the bait for $5. Nothing tangible in my hand to show for it (unless I print out the receipt) but that's ok.
    Will install it someday after the dust settles and the steam clears.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    the steam clears.
    I see what you did there!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Hum, Just Flights installer's are picking up on FSX/SE

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

First of all, I had had a bunch of connection/login problems with my previous install of Steam but I have a hunch that was due to a progressive failure of some Windows components and or the drive last spring. Reinstalled Steam on the new drive, actually found my old Steam login info and went for it. After bumping into their "Is this a new computer?" security I got in fine, did the purchase and exited without installing.

Why? Well I have 3 boxed copies of FSX Gold and one of standard (for three computers and one copy I inherited) happily stored in a drawer in my desk. However that does me no good when I'm away from home for a month or three. The laptop runs FSX fine but if it goes "Poof", 2500 miles is a long way to go to get the disks and there's no local retailer although last year one enterprising fellow in a computer shop DID offer to "download a copy from the internet' for me <cough>.

Since I have good, fast Wifi while sitting by the pool sipping a beverage I now have a 'backup' in case the urge to sim overcomes the urge to go fishing for marlin . Install the Steam edition, grab a couple of addons from my cloud-connected storage and I should be content while waiting for Happy-hour 2for1 cervezas .

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Alright, I have a few questions about the Steam version.....

1) I have an entire HD dedicated to Steam, will the Steam product mess up my FSX install on my C: drive in any way shape or form?

2) Has anyone done multi-player yet?

3) Is MP the same "Lawless wasteland" that Microsoft"s "Zone" was? I want a place to fly with others like everyone did until a few years ago not be shadowed and harassed by people who think it's fun to wreak your flight and blast all kinds of crud on all channels.

If I am lucky, and I do mean lucky, I'll look into buying this on the First or Second, that's when my pension check hit's the bank. For $5.00 this is something that I could use. I do hope that Dove Tail can grow this sim into something good. Personally I would like to see these down the line....

Working radar and that means WX and military types. Working IFR sensors and a working Night Vision, both goggles and sensors.

And while I'm at it, get the boat and ship traffic to work better than it is already. I won't ask for better AI aircraft as I really don't care or fly with them as I us an MP server 97% of my time
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by strikehawk View Post
    If I am lucky, and I do mean lucky, I'll look into buying this on the First or Second, that's when my pension check hit's the bank. For $5.00 this is something that I could use.
    It's worth noting that the $5.00 pricing is only going to be up for the rest of the day, since Steam daily deals are usually only up for 48 hours. Following Steam convention, it may be on a 50% sale for the duration of the holiday sale, with a chance that it may go cheap again on the last day of the sale. However, if you want it for $5.00, you'll likely have to jump on it today.
    Jim Stewart

Multiple installs? Am I correct in reading here that if you have the disc version of FSX, you can install the Steam version also and they will not conflict? I am thinking about dumping P3D 1.4 and installing the Steam version for all of my Orbx stuff is all.
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    It's worth noting that the $5.00 pricing is only going to be up for the rest of the day, since Steam daily deals are usually only up for 48 hours. Following Steam convention, it may be on a 50% sale for the duration of the holiday sale, with a chance that it may go cheap again on the last day of the sale. However, if you want it for $5.00, you'll likely have to jump on it today.
    Thanks for noting that it's only a 24 hour period. Will have to wait until payday as I'm tapped out in the wallet division. The regular asking price is still fair compared to what I've seen on Amazombie, I saw it the CD version listed as $120 + by some vendors. At this point I just want one install for fun and games and the Steam version so I can spend time with my grandson, or granddaughter if she wants, teaching him the basics of flying.
    AO1 USN Retired
    USS SARATOGA CV-60/ VP-65/HAL-5/VP-0919/VFA-305/NAWS-0176/HCS-5

IYAOYAS
    Naval Aviation Ordnance
    We Are The Arms Of The Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    However, they do share the same AppData folder if I recall correctly, so I highly suggest backing that up first.
    No they don't share anything. If you do a side-by-side installation, all paths will be different, and even the config files are renamed; e.g. fsx-se.cfg instead of fsx.cfg...

However, installers for nearly everything will need to be recoded to allow for the new folder, paths, and file names if users keep both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed!

Those who install FSX:SE 'virgin' will have no such problems for most installers.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    Multiple installs? Am I correct in reading here that if you have the disc version of FSX, you can install the Steam version also and they will not conflict? I am thinking about dumping P3D 1.4 and installing the Steam version for all of my Orbx stuff is all.
    Yes, you can have side-by-side versions of FSX (original) and FSX:SE on the same computer. They will be totally independent of one another. Moreover, you can install FSX:SE to as many computers as you own, but you can only use one at a time (if on-line that is...) If not connected to the internet, you could have as many sessions of FSX running as you wish. I cannot imagine why you'd want to, but you can.

Seriously, you can even "stream" FSX:SE to another computer without having it installed on the one you are playing on!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

If I have read the posts in this thread correctly, both my FSX-O and FSX-S can reside simultaneously, right?

Ok then, as a precaution, is the advice to back up my FSX config files still applicable?

More importantly, so I can fully understand this process, to do a backup of those files, is it simply a matter of copying that folder?

Thanks, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    If I have read the posts in this thread correctly, both my FSX-O and FSX-S can reside simultaneously, right?

Ok then, as a precaution, is the advice to back up my FSX config files still applicable?

More importantly, so I can fully understand this process, to do a backup of those files, is it simply a matter of copying that folder?

Thanks, NC
    Its the easiest way of backup. Just copy the FSX folder to a new location. Like another drive or even into a ZIP file.
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbage View Post
    Its the easiest way of backup. Just copy the FSX folder to a new location. Like another drive or even into a ZIP file.
    The entire install, or just config files? NC

Navy Chief, sorry for the dumb question, but since your normal FSX still works correctly, why would you want to install the Steam edition right now ?
    I see the Steam edition of FSX like a convenient backup, in case something happens to your DVDs or in case you get in trouble for reactivating your regular FSX.

Another warning: when one uninstalls the Steam version of FSX, won't that erase the FSX.cfg and related folders ?
    This could kill the regular FSX, right ?

1 hour, 8 minutes remaining at the $5 price.

I suggest you climb on board and buy it quickly.

ive been watching this thread since it started,well i bought and installed the steam FSX,and i did so for the reason that ive had TS2015 and privous versions,for awhile now,i did a total HD format a few months back,it took me about a week and a half to reinstall FSX and all my "stuff" in it,but all i had to do with steam was to reinstall the steam "app" and everything from my train sim and asseto corsa were there..no fuss no muss...in a few months,ill be able to have my new PC and if i have all my "stuff" in steam/fsx...then im a week ahead...eh?...so now to find an easy way to move all the ORBX FTX stuff into steam without problems..any ideas?

FSX legacy and FSX:SE use totally separate registry and fsx.cfg folders, so uninstalling either won't harm the other.

(Not sure about the scenery.cfg in ProgramData though.)

The users on Avsim have a compatibility testing thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457968-...esting-thread/
    (Requires login.)

Everything that doesn't rely on FSUIPC for something appears to work and compatible installers are beginning to be supplied by the big vendors.

so its not possible to just copy the FSX disc version to the steam version...registry conflicts?...but if the registry is on the same computer..whut mater would it make?

Well, I have been debating about this FSX SE, and decided jump on the wagon. Just purchased it for $5.

I will be following the discussions here, on Avsim and any other forum to see the fog clear off the runway. I do not want to take the risk of messing up my current FSX setup, and I do use FSUIPC for add-ons, as well as axis assignments, and buttons for my home built cockpit trhough LUA.

So untill There is a resolution for FSUIPC tp work with FSX SE, I see no reason to install the Steam version.

Let's see what the coming months will bring.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Members who have read this thread: 3