FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only! - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

Hhhmm, so is the last sentence there saying future purchased add-ons will have to be associated with your old FSX or the Steam version, but not both? And if so, where does that leave all the add-ons you currently have associated with your old FSX version? Will you have to buy them again on Steam if you want to also have them in FSX Steam version?

The attractive intro price notwithstanding, this doesn't appear to be something to rush into.

Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBaron View Post
    No where, as far as I can see, does it ask or imply nthat you should 'remove' your 'old copy'.

I believe that is is saying that a prudent user would back up the current FSX files/folders that reside OUTSIDE the FSX directory...those in
    your appdata\users area just so that a 'miss step' doesn't destroy them.

Reading in other forums on the registry keys used they seem to be completely separate from those used by FSX. This would/should
    allow both to reside on the same system without interference. However, that said, I am going to wait until I see evidence of that
    before I risk the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that I have invested in FSX at this point!

Paul
    Thanks, Paul, for that info. I too, will wait for more reports about all of this. NC

I must admit that I don't fully understand what Steam is, so I don't see why you would want to add another copy of FSX onto your hard drive.
    Many here are saying that they will or have bought it but don't intend to install it. Just what is the advantage to it if you already have FSX that works great with all your scenery and add on planes?
    If it was "FSX" with some updates, and all your add-on's could easily be installed, maybe it would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    I must admit that I don't fully understand what Steam is, so I don't see why you would want to add another copy of FSX onto your hard drive.
    Many here are saying that they will or have bought it but don't intend to install it. Just what is the advantage to it if you already have FSX that works great with all your scenery and add on planes?
    If it was "FSX" with some updates, and all your add-on's could easily be installed, maybe it would make sense.
    Good points, however there ARE some things planned for FSX Steam mentioned by its developers. No details, but for only $5, it is worth it to me to sit and wait. NC

It is FSX with some updates and it should be just as easy to install addons to it. For the time being, it should be noted that some addons may not work (most likely those that rely on undocumented DLL exports), but for the most part addons should work.

In the first place, I do not believe we are the target audience for the steam edition. Well. YOU are not anyway. My last install of FSX went all corrupt about 18 months ago and I have lacked the will to re-install for what would have been the 14th time since the beta. So I made do with Flight and took up train simming.

So I bought the steam edition and let them do the install. Slick. And yes, it installs in the steam tree, not in the Microsoft Games tree.
    I had one problem which for me was easily solved. Those of you with large disk based installs may have this problem too... The scenery.cfg file from my old install was still wherever it was hidden so when I started FSX-S the first time, I got 190 scenery errors Easily fixed for me without another working install, I just went into the scenery library and deactivated all those addon scenery folders.

Now, what about addons? To test, I went to the external drive where I stored the ruins of my old FSX and dragged across copies of the Aerosoft Beaver and the FS Addon Super Cub. Both work fine. I also dragged across 2-3 addon scenery folders and re-activated them. They work fine.

So what about the PMDG 777 and all that Orbx scenery? Don't know and never will about the PMDG stuff or any other jet aircraft. Orbx scenery is a project to be delayed into January.

Bottom line? For me an investment of $5 got me back up and running in FSX in 2 hours. Another 15 minutes messing around with experiments and I was flying a float plane in the Maine woods.

The other bottom line: If you have a working install of FSX, you don't need this. Its just that simple. Move along.... nothing to see here. And if you think you might need it in the future... Steam has 3-4 sales a year.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Now up and running FSX/SE on a W8.1 install. No disconnect errors of my various flight controller's during my flight from CYFB to CYZF using the default 737. Frames stable fluid 60's all sliders right in default state no 3rd addons yet. Im calling in my ace in the hole addon the Iris 27J.

The Iris C27J just bite and nailed the installed path perfect.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Glad you all are doing the testing.

I'm purchasing, both as a backup, and as a means of easily (light on the wallet) supporting the idea that there is a population of simmers willing to support flight simulation on Steam. However, since my current installation has a heavy dose of Orbx in not just regions and airports but in FTX Global & Vector, I fear it might be a bit until I actually bother messing with it. But that's the beauty of Steam: there's absolutely no need to quickly install the games you've purchased. For many games, I install and uninstall as the need arises. After all, if I were to install everything from my Steam library, I'd possibly need more than the 8 Tb of space I currently have!

However, a large thank you to those who are willing to have a play with it and report back!
    Jim Stewart

Steam is good yes, Now I have both version, independent folders in installation and in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft and in Document folder all are independent and work like two different game

as you can see here

and here a screen with my last acquisition into the old good instalation

and with the new intalation (Steam) also with my first add-on instaled

Again, both work together without interference

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Off goes the Iris C27J all happy in FSX/SE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-12-18_19-58-23-268fsxse.jpg  

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

Members +
    So, when the special prices end, you can buy an 8 year old program for $25? An constantly updated P3D for double?

For 5 bucks! Heck yeah, will go ahead and install it on my laptop..
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

Installed just fine for me, and so far the SportStar is flying fine. I copied the new version from P3D into FSX/SE and no problems at all! It did ask for access to a radio DLL, and after saying yes, happy flying. This version will be on Aerosoft soon. I will test out the Seabee soon Friday. So far its stable and runs great on Win 8.1 and the install was 2 mouse clicks. Well worth the 5$ just for the easy install!
    Kevin "Gibbage" Miller

SeaBee works great here Kevin.
    Tom Constantine
    -------------------
    TOH Forums
    http://mainescenery.proboards.com/

You just need to understand two things:
    1- Buying the Steam edition for 5 dollars does not force you to install it right now, and it does not force you to uninstall your current FSX version or your addons
    2- Some of us are SICK of the DVDs, and the uninstall/reinstall process of that sim, and especially all the potential problems that can prevent the install from working, and finally all the potential problems that can prevent the activation from working. The Steam edition means these problems are things from the past.

As many said, for current FSX owners, the Steam edition is just the cheapest (well, until tomorrow) and most convenient backup ever.

I don't think I'll bother - even at that price.
    There seems to be too much collateral for my taste.

I believe in weekly disk images and backups.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    For 5 bucks! Heck yeah, will go ahead and install it on my laptop..
    Hells yeah! Me too

A couple of cool things about Steam (and reasons why I'll spend the five bucks as soon as I get back home):
    - Purchasing does not mean you have to install right now (stated above)
    - You may install the same software in different machine (sort of "floating licence") - but use it on one computer at a time
    - You can even play it remotely in your home network (software is installed on one computer and streamed onto another)
    - I had a very hard time installing FSX on Win8 when I had to

...as we tend to have a "simming" PC, probably they do not mean much for us simmers... but Steam works quite well.

That being said, I much prefer P3Dv2 over FSX - the only reason for me to still use it is Tacpack (and I cannot really stand P3Dv2 annoying issue with carrier wakes).

I have had a Steam account for years but never used it

Question: If I purchase for $5 just to have in reserve,how do I access it later on if I want to use it?
    Can't seem to find the answer on Steam....

Thanks
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Quote Originally Posted by papab View Post
    I have had a Steam account for years but never used it
    Question: If I purchase for $5 just to have in reserve,how do I access it later on if I want to use it?
    Can't seem to find the answer on Steam....

Thanks
    Rick
    Should be no problem: Launch the Steam application, select menu item LIBRARY, then GAMES - the FSX install button should be there if you have purchased it. You can install FSX later at the time you want to any drive you want.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Should be no problem: Launch the Steam application, select menu item LIBRARY, then GAMES - the FSX install button should be there if you have purchased it. You can install FSX later at the time you want to any drive you want.

Thank you
    Rick

Jetline HellFire GT2 FSX PC, Win 7 Pro 64, P3DV3.4.22
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Professional LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 a770K (4.3GHz Overclocked) Quad Core
    Antec 920 Dual Stage CPU Liquid Cooler
    Nvidia 1GB GeForce GTX 1080 ti
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz
    1TB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD+ 60GB SSD Cache
    Lifetime U.S Based Technical Support

" Don't criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes. And then who cares! You are a mile away and you have his shoes!!"

Indeed, just click on FSX in your list of games, and a small button "Install" will appear. Then you'll simply have to specify a destination folder, and that's all. Steam will do all the rest by himself.

How do I tell it not to install right away? Typically when I buy any DLC from Steam it starts the download right away. If I can buy it today and install it later then I'm all in.

Bought FSX-SE without Installing

I've used Steam on and off (more off) for a couple years and have about 8 games in my library. Several of those games have not yet been installed. (Most games were acquired with coupons from graphics card purchases.) I just paid the $4.99 (USD) for the FSX-SE license. The game now shows in my list of Steam games. It may sit there for a year or two unused like some of the other games I have. In answer to all those questions about just letting it sit without installing it..YES you can do that!

While I let FSX-SE sit, I will be watching all those that install it to see if there are any good tips about how to deal with installations of both FSX and FSX-SE on one computer. I'll also be watching to see how FSX-SE multi-player works. Keep posting your experience.

Edit - For Frank...Just pay the money to Steam for the license and do not install FSX-SE when it appears in your "Library" list of games. Pretty simple.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    How do I tell it not to install right away? Typically when I buy any DLC from Steam it starts the download right away. If I can buy it today and install it later then I'm all in.
    Strange, for me the installation is triggered by a button "install now" on the very last page of the buying procedure (after I enter my credit card info and the payment is confirmed).
    If I don't click on that, then Steam does not download anything, the game appears in my library but it's written in dark.

Members who have read this thread: 3