P-38J Lightning update by Allen!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P-38J Lightning update by Allen!

Icon22 P-38J Lightning update by Allen!

You may try asking TheB24Guy to add flat panel to the OH F6F3 Hellcat that the Mark 2 gyro gun site can be textured to and the stock US gun site could be alpha-ed out.

After that you prob asking to much for a SCASM edit of F4U and TBF. They would have to be rebuilt in gMax and my plate is over full. I got the 2 MC 205, Helping Mission with some CANTs, CD Airfield Buildings and my own P-38F rebuilt to P-38J.

Attachment 16283
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

I just about have the rebuild of the P-38F to a P-38J done. Ivan says the radiators changed on the booms but given that gMax is crashing just about every time I try to right click with the P-38J I many not change them.

Attachment 16589

With the J done I could start looking at the TBF. I'll have to ask TheB24Guy about using his VC.

Nice looking "J". Glad to have a alternative to David Copley's, particularly if it has the usual breaking parts etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I just about have the rebuild of the P-38F to a P-38J done. Ivan says the radiators changed on the booms but given that gMax is crashing just about every time I try to right click with the P-38J I many not change them.

With the J done I could start looking at the TBF. I'll have to ask TheB24Guy about using his VC.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Nice looking "J". Glad to have a alternative to David Copley's, particularly if it has the usual breaking parts etc.
    I could see a different J model in the USAAC Bong/McGuire missions.........
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Icon22 P-38J Lightning update by Allen!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: This rebuild of the stock P-38F Lightning converts the Lightning to Model "J". Come with most of the bells and whistles like animated parts and breaking parts. Model is Multi LOD use damage texture logics as well.

Comes with 2 textures (Olive drab, and Bare metal) Skin templates are included in the textue folders for your painting pleasure. You will need a program that can read .PSD to use them.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit P-38J Lightning
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Reply...

Allen,

This is outstanding, thanks for all the hard work on this!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Blog Entries

Fantastique!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: This rebuild of the stock P-38F Lightning converts the Lightning to Model "J". Come with most of the bells and whistles like animated parts and breaking parts. Model is Multi LOD use damage texture logics as well.

Comes with 2 textures (Olive drab, and Bare metal) Skin templates are included in the textue folders for your painting pleasure. You will need a program that can read .PSD to use them.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit P-38J Lightning
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
    Great work! A really needed addition (at least for me!)
    Thanks a lot Allen

G.

Your all welcome!

Very cool Allen, thank you.

msfossey

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano

Icon14 Amazing!

Allen,

did they name the Royal Navy aircraft carrier "HMS Indefatigable" after you? You can't sit still, huh? But....

...WE ARE ALL IN DEBT WITH YOU FOR THIS!!!

THANK YOU!

Cheers!
    KH

My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Good job Allen!
    Thank you !
    Mario

A fine addition!!
    Thank you Allen

Neat, a CFS2 frame rate friendly 'J' version. I have 'J's but they are conversions and/or not frame rate friendly for displaying multiple aircraft in the sim. This is a nice CFS2 model addition, and having the dive recovery and maneuvering flaps of the 'J' also!
    Thanks Allen!

Thanks Allen

Hi Allen
    Another great piece of work.
    Thanks for all your efforts.
    Have a great Christmas.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Thanks Allen. It's a nice addition to the hangar.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hello Allen,

Well done on the P-38J. Looks pretty good!
    With the J model, there were so many changes during the production run that the basic model can be set up with many different options.

- Ivan.

Oglivie
    Sadly almost all conversion are not frame rate friendly (FRF). The few that are don't use any breaking parts. The maneuvering flaps don't have the effect I would like. The maneuvering flaps and normal flaps are the same and I can't add the need lift to the flaps with out the AI crashing when trying to land.

Ivan
    Thanks!

Yup. From I recall the dive recover flaps wasn't added to the J tell the -25 from the factory but earlier P-38s were fited with them as well.

Well...It's better than any other 'J' model I have, Allen. Also if you like I solved the AI crash problem I think. In my test they don't land at all (lol). So if you just prefer fighter cover at landing these attached files should work fine.

Icon25 More air file info....

If my memory serves and I attached the correct air file above....the manuevering flaps and dive recovery are set in the air file. The AI do not land with this air file. In section 1101 --Pitch-- 'Pitch Moment due to Pitch rate' is set to 20000. If set to 0 the AI will attempt to land and will crash with the flap settings in the air file. With it at 20000 there is some yo-yo (pitch up & down) in an AI formation. Probably more tinkering in the pitch settings may yield better results. This is just a prelimary work around so player aircraft can have combat manuevering flaps. The air file also has more roll rate as the later 'J' models had. Both the dive recovery and hydraulic boost ailerons were first incorporated on the P-38J-25-LO and subsequent P-38s on the assembly line. If you dive the 38 with this air file you will go into compressibility at some point (I forgot the exact speed) and will need to use the dive recovery system to pull out. Compressibility in a high-speed dive plagued all the P-38 versions until the dive recovery system was incorporated into the J-25.

I'll look into the 'Pitch Moment due to Pitch rate' thing. There is a misunderstanding about the roll rate being improved on the J's. The rate of roll was improved with hydraulic boost ailerons but this was NOT a across board improvement. The improvement was for roll around/above 250MPH.

With out hydraulic boost ailerons around/above 250MPH the force need to apply full aileron was too much for most pilots so the rate of roll drops off quickly. With hydraulic boost ailerons the rate of roll around/above 250MPH is a nice curve.

EDIT: There is more than Cm_q Pitch Moment - Pitch Rate (Damping) edit in the attach file. I change it and the AI nosed dive with flaps set 0.80 that gives a stall speed for 80 MPH in AirWrench. In the attached .air I can see that the airfoil has been changed.and a bunch of other things.
    Last edited by Allen; December 22nd, 2014 at 13:22.

Interesting info, Allen. Yeah, I believe I had other changes to that air file that were added from other P-38 air files I had. The correct technical specs of the air file are probably not accurate to the data. I more or less threw it together and tested some of its flight characteristics in sim.

Thank you Allen, what a great addition to our hangar !

Will textures from the OH P-38F work with this P-38J, or do they need to be edited ?

The texture will have to be edited because of the larger engine intakes.

The texture will have to be edited because of the larger engine intakes.
    Too bad, I would have loved to fly the OH 'Putt Putt Maru' scheme on this more historically accurate P-38J.

Members who have read this thread: 0