Cessna 180-G Hydra is released
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cessna 180-G Hydra is released

Cessna 180-G Hydra is released

French-VFR has the honor to present an other variation of the Cessna 150 delivered during 2013 Christmas. This aircraft is a fictive variation. This aircraft has changed significantly to finally obtain this "Hydravion" configuration which a 180 hp!

This plane has the distinction of being supplied with a Damage Mod somewhat like a AccuSim for you to live with more intensity flights you will do with him.

It is based on the C150 'TiBush version and share with it some files like the documentation (sounds, gauges, Damage Mod, and also the FSX/French-VFR directory for exemple).
    a) If you do not have the C150 'TiBush simply unzip the archive in your simulator.

b) If you already have the TiBush, you can omit to copy the French-VFR directory under the FSX or P3D directory. If you do not, the French-VFR directory of this archive will overwrite the previous directory and you will lose your previous settings of the C150-K Damage Mod.

Lagaffe and his friends
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zfos.jpg  

Excellent news. That paint scheme is pretty rad.

Many thanks to Lagaffe and friends - a wonderful gift to the community (especially bush pilots!).

Many thanks for the French-VFR team for this gift! It looks fantastic.
    -Mark

Merci! Lagaffe and French VFR team!
    "The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's wonderful, it's wonderful, it's wonderful, good luck my baby, it's wonderful... So sayd a song, and so is your C-150! :beer:
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Lagaffe, but the "Hydro" Cessna C180G exist really! It isn't fictive! Type a search on Google!!!
    Miro

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz, AMD (GigaByte) Radeon R9 280X Series @ 3GB Video, ATI Radeon SoundCard, GigaByte FX-990GAUD, Samsung 840EVO SSD @ 120GB, WD Caviar Blue @ 1TB

Very Nice indeed... Thank you for your hard work on this wonderful litte aircraft
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbnail.jpg  

Stunner! Thankyou for the hard work! looks awesome!

Is anyone else having problems hiding the yoke. Both of the other C150's seem to hide the yoke correctly but this one does not. Also the panel switch turns on the taxi lights.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    Is anyone else having problems hiding the yoke. Both of the other C150's seem to hide the yoke correctly but this one does not. Also the panel switch turns on the taxi lights.

Dave
    You have find a little bug on the yoke animation ... I will create a new MDL for the interior model ... this week ...

Lagaffe

Quote Originally Posted by lagaffe View Post
    You have find a little bug on the yoke animation ... I will create a new MDL for the interior model ... this week ...

Lagaffe
    Thanks for the quick response. I was not sure if it was my setup or the plane. FSX can be finicky after it has been used a while without a rebuild, and mine has been a while and is quite full of stuff :0

I really love all the variations of this plane, I appreciate all the work you have graciously given to us with this gem.

Dave

She is very nice.

Such a shame that those nice bump maps aren't being used.

Maybe that can be fixed in an update as well?

cheers,
    Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    She is very nice.

Such a shame that those nice bump maps aren't being used.

Maybe that can be fixed in an update as well?

cheers,
    Lane
    No, they are used but with moderation.

Aircraft manufacturers are very careful to reduce the impact of rivets on the smoothness of the aircraft so as not to induce drag. So in reality, rivets aren't so "flashy".

Some people has also asked the same question when the TiBush was released !

Lagaffe

Aircraft manufacturers are very careful to reduce the impact of rivets on the smoothness of the aircraft so as not to induce drag. So in reality, rivets aren't so "flashy".
    There is more that can be done with bump maps than rivets.

And why go through the trouble of painting them if you aren't going to use them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Street View Post
    There is more that can be done with bump maps than rivets.

And why go through the trouble of painting them if you aren't going to use them?
    Why do you think that they are not used ? Do you want that I publish a copy under Gmax to see that I affirm ?
    I make aircraft not toys !

Some bugs are found in this model (yoke are clicables and a piece of the tail will be re-mapped) so I just finish to program a fix (7Mo) which is yet on French-VFR.
    - Correction of the disappearance of the yokes with the mouse
    - Re-mapping of the stabilizer in the drift
    - Improvement of operating on water.

This should work much better
    Lagaffe.
    Last edited by lagaffe; December 19th, 2014 at 10:53.

Why do you think that they are not used ?
    Because I know how they work, I know how to edit them and when I make edits to these bump maps they don't show up in the sim.

Need more proof?

Here you can see the exterior model loaded in Model Converter X. I have the EXTERIEUR_T texture selected and the red mesh shows what parts of the model are mapped to that texture. In the Textures box you can see that material calls a diffuse and a specular, it does not call a bump map.

Next I have selected one of the materials that calls WINGS_T. Again the parts of the model that are mapped to this material are the red mesh. In the textures box we can see this material calls a bump map and an environment map.

In this pic I have selected another material that calls WINGS_T and this material does not call a bump map.

This mish mash of material settings gives an odd look in the sim where they meet.

It is my opinion that the model should be consistent throughout, at least in the major sheet metal areas.

You already have the bumps painted, why not use them?

cheers,
    Lane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-C150-w1.jpg   A-C150-w2.jpg   A-C150-FSX.jpg   A-C150-f1.jpg  

Hi,

Dear Lane Street,

You have already asked what kind of statement in August 23, 2014 at 6:50 on this forum post about the post of the C150-K (cf. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post901726).

Your opinion was yet based on the usage of MCX (tool developed by Arno Gerretsen). After reviewing the MDL Cessna with MCX and observed some things you draw some conclusions that you consider true without taking into account that this tool is developped using "reverse engineering" and some aspects of the SDK are mis-interpreted or not all.

If I take your examples with images 2 and 3 which correspond to the wings and flaps, my sources give the explanations of this misfit:

- Wings are mapped with a multi-material which contains several materials composed by FlightsimX materials; one of them used by the wings contains:
    - a diffuse color (wings_t.bmp)
    - a specular color (wings_t_spec.bmp)
    - a bump map (wings_t_bump.bmp)
    - a reflection map (GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.bmp)

- Flaps are mapped with a FlightSimX material only !
    - a diffuse color (wings_t.bmp)
    - a specular color (wings_t_spec.bmp)
    - a bump map (wings_t_bump.bmp)
    - a reflection map (GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.bmp)

In August, it was the same problem and I publish this image in order to illustrate "fuselage/wings problems" ...

When you highlight a texture, MCX select ALL elements that used this texture but theses elements can use different materials (like wings's material and flaps's material which used wing_t.bmp). This behavior of MCX can not afford to properly analyze an MDL ... the only proof is the gmax sources

The SDK permit to use a texture in several materials but MCX don't manage correctly this function.
    In Gmax, the element which it's use to map is the material composed by textures and not the texture.

The only thing that I can say it's that MCX cannot manage correctly multi-material ... not that the author (me, in this case) don't use bump map.
    Gmax accept theses sources and th SDK of FSX/P3D don't refuse multi-material usage ....

PS: I can send you my sources ... if you don't agree with my conclusion

I for one am happy with the model. It is an amazing freeware model that Lagaffe has gifted to the flightsim community. Lagaffe, I and many others appreciate your amazing work. Lane Street, it's unusual to see someone complaining about a freeware model that the developer spent months creating just to release as a gift to us.

The low qualify freeware... nobody complains about.

High quality freeware, someone finds a way to dig... consider it a compliment that they treat you like payware Lagaffe :P

I am not complaining about anything.

I am simply pointing out what I see as an issue with the model that, if corrected, will make a great model even greater.

As Rachel said, if I thought it was a crap model I wouldn't even bother posting about it.

As someone who gets great enjoyment out of painting planes and then using them in the sim, I would like to see bump maps implemented throughout the exterior of this model.

Regardless of what lagaffe thinks about MCX, I believe it works as advertised and only supports what I see in FSX.

My screenshots show that MCX sees at least 3 different FSX materials that use Wings_T.DDS and the only material that uses bunps is mapped to the control surfaces. I would like to see the entire wings, and the fuselage, using bumps. Right now they do not.

And I don't say this because of what I see in MCX. I say it because of what I see in FSX. I only use MCX to show the issue.

I have tried to edit the bumps for this model and my edits do not show up in FSX.

If lagaffe want to send me the source files, he can e-mail them to lanestreet_fs_stuff <at>at comcast dot net

Again, I like this model and I am not "complaining" about the bumps. I just think this model would be better, and less FS9-like, if it fully used the FSX materials.

cheers,
    Lane</at>

I'm not offended by the post of Lane Street ...I'm just not agree with heses arguments

1) Assuming that MCX can not be wrong, I added the so-called missing textures on WINGS_T texture (environment and bump texture) and I recompiled the MDL ...
    Result in the simulator: the image has not changed at all but the new MDL edited with MCX clearly shows the textures that previously lacked ...

2) Then I edited the FLOATS_T texture which is not a multi-material.
    I find only two textures :
    - floats_t.bmp
    - floats_t_spec.bmp
    ... and the float_t_bump.bmp has also diseappear .... however it exists in Gmax in th simple FlightSim material

3) Trying to add via MCX an environment texture GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.bmp, I found systematically a texture * _t_lm.bmp declared in MCX, texture which never be used in my initial model?

I just think that MCX is a great tool but it has limitations and is not perfect (Arno continues its development) so it cannot be considered as the supreme proof ... and cannot replace the source of the model.

Lagaffe

PS: As it seems to me that you want to view the code, I transmit to you the last version of external model as express condition of not disclosing to
    - another person or
    - publish this code on any website even sim-outhouse.
    Last edited by lagaffe; December 20th, 2014 at 08:18.

Hi,

Lane ... you don't receive my e-mail ? No news ?
    I understand that it's Christmas Hollidays but I will hope a answer to my gift

Lagaffe.

Hi,

Lane ... you don't receive my e-mail ? No news ?
    I understand that it's Christmas Hollidays but I will hope a answer to my gift

Lagaffe.
    Sorry, I should have at least acknowledged receipt of it. Yes I have it.

I have not had much of a chance to look at it as I am limited to my laptop right now and Gmax crashes pretty regularly on it.

Hopefully I will be able to spend some time with it next week.

In the interim let me show you a couple more screenshots.

I did a 90 second edit to the wings_t_bump.dds so it looks like this...

RGB...

Alpha...

...and what it looks like in FSX...

So you can see that the bump is being used on the control surfaces and not on the top of the wing itself.

Hope this helps.

cheer,
    Lane

Members who have read this thread: 0