New Plane Choices.... Can't pick....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Plane Choices.... Can't pick....

New Plane Choices.... Can't pick....

So there's 3 planes I'm trying to choose between: The Wilco Cessna Citation X, The Carenado B200, and the Flight1 Beech Duke. The Duke I'm sure is the best of those three, but I'm not sure it will run too well on my computer. On Flight1's website all it says for requirements that I'm worried about is "Processor: 2.8 GHz" but mine is only 2.2... Is that 2.8 specification a recommended spec or is that a minimum requirement? Lastly, assuming the Duke won't work on my computer, which of the other 2 is more realistic as far as handling and systems go?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJZ View Post
    So there's 3 planes I'm trying to choose between: The Wilco Cessna Citation X, The Carenado B200, and the Flight1 Beech Duke. The Duke I'm sure is the best of those three, but I'm not sure it will run too well on my computer. On Flight1's website all it says for requirements that I'm worried about is "Processor: 2.8 GHz" but mine is only 2.2... Is that 2.8 specification a recommended spec or is that a minimum requirement? Lastly, assuming the Duke won't work on my computer, which of the other 2 is more realistic as far as handling and systems go?
    I don't own any of those, but speaking to your system requirements, what graphics card are you using and how much system memory do you have?

I have the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, which I know is far from the best..... I have 6 GB of RAM and 220 GB of memory so I have plenty of memory.

I have the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, which I know is far from the best..... I have 6 GB of RAM and 220 GB of memory so I have plenty of memory.
    Not familiar with that so I can't comment. . .this is a case where a "demo" version of each aircraft would come in handy. At least you could test the flyability of each aircraft with your system and see the effects. As it is you'll have to look at the recommended system specs for each plane and decide. You don't want to sacrifice your scenery settings just to fly an airplane that's too fps heavy for your system.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Not familiar with that so I can't comment. . .this is a case where a "demo" version of each aircraft would come in handy. At least you could test the flyability of each aircraft with your system and see the effects. As it is you'll have to look at the recommended system specs for each plane and decide. You don't want to sacrifice your scenery settings just to fly an airplane that's too fps heavy for your system.
    Yeah. A demo would be nice. Although I have heard that Flight1 does have a 30 day return policy. As for scenery settings, I'm actually okay with sacrificing a little because I use Megascenery and I also fly IFR a lot of the time

If you're an IFR enthusiast, then the Duke is head and shoulders above the other two but perhaps most demanding of your system.

Quote Originally Posted by olderndirt View Post
    If you're an IFR enthusiast, then the Duke is head and shoulders above the other two but perhaps most demanding of your system.
    I am VERY interested in the Duke... what about the processor? Will it work on my system?

When you say 'Flight1 Beech Duke' are you referring to the RealAir Beech Duke? If so, it's also purchasable on the RealAir website where there is also tons of info regarding it. There's also three different options for it available from RealAir: The original B60 Duke (which I think is the same as offered by Flight1), the new version 2 of the B60 Duke, and the original Turbine Duke. There is expected to be a release of a version 2 of the Turbine Duke soon. They are all very highly regarded.

Since you mentioned the Carenado B200, Flight1 also offers their own B200. It is really quite excellent.

However, regardless of which aircraft you are referring too, I would think it very likely that you may have performance issues with your existing specs. I can't speak directly for the RealAir Dukes, but I do own the RealAir Lancair Legacy, and it has a bit of an impact on my system. Not a lot, but it's still noticeable at times when I'm in heavy scenery, and I run at 4.2Ghz.

I can't speak at all for the Carenado B200 or the Wilco plane, as I don't own them.

I'll be honest with you - photo scenery or not, you're likely going to run into performance issues with most complex add-on planes with your specs. Quite a few people (myself included) might even have trouble guessing at what kind of issues you might have, since so many of us are running machines that are far more powerful. The best advice anyone could possibly give you is to stick with addons where there is either a demo available or else a Flight1 installer available so that you are able to test it for yourself.
    Jim Stewart

I LOVE the Duke. You will not be sorry.

Don
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dukefllfmy1.jpg  

Its the RealAir Duke - the same one that can be found on FSPilotshop

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    I LOVE the Duke. You will not be sorry.

Don
    I know this addon is highly regarded, but it would be hard to enjoy if I'm getting less than 10 FPS

Blog Entries
    Ryan is your computer upgradeable? Desktop, Laptop etc. The Intel HD graphics might work to a limited degree with the Carenado model which would give you less realism than the RealAir Duke. A good test would be to check out the freeware Navion and see how it looks and what your fps is like with it. This is one of the finest freeware GAs out there and SOH has it.

Try this:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4&linkid=17667

Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Ryan is your computer upgradeable? Desktop, Laptop etc. The Intel HD graphics might work to a limited degree with the Carenado model which would give you less realism than the RealAir Duke. A good test would be to check out the freeware Navion and see how it looks and what your fps is like with it. This is one of the finest freeware GAs out there and SOH has it.

Try this:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4&linkid=17667

Ted
    I have an HP laptop. Not ideal for flight simming, but its big enough that I could possibly upgrade it. In another thread I was told that it most likely could be upgraded easily to a more powerful processor. I have other Carenado products, and they work wonderfully on my laptop. Even the Wilco P180 works just fine for me. I'll check out that Navion

Ryan I use the RealAIR beech duke on my laptop. It has an i5 dual core processor. I use FSX on windows 7. I have the realism sliders set pretty high and I use the real weather option in FSX. I don't use any other add-ons like weather or camera utilities. With all this said, usually I get between 25 and 30/FPS when flying the duke. I don't notice any stuttering or issues like that. I often fly into Ronald Reagan national airport in dc with no problems.

I would say that the duke is one of my favorite airplanes. The visuals are great I love the way it shakes and rattles (no add-ons required) and the needles bouncing around while on the ground. I get to fidget with the pressurization system. I like being able to adjust the airspeed gauge for altitude and OAT. The systems are pretty well done. You have to fly it right or things break like the flaps and engines. I must admit, I do use reality XP 530 GPS. I love the click spots for the special VC views. They really make flying the plane a pleasure.

I would not hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by clmooring View Post
    Ryan I use the RealAIR beech duke on my laptop. It has an i5 dual core processor. I use FSX on windows 7. I have the realism sliders set pretty high and I use the real weather option in FSX. I don't use any other add-ons like weather or camera utilities. With all this said, usually I get between 25 and 30/FPS when flying the duke. I don't notice any stuttering or issues like that. I often fly into Ronald Reagan national airport in dc with no problems.

I would say that the duke is one of my favorite airplanes. The visuals are great I love the way it shakes and rattles (no add-ons required) and the needles bouncing around while on the ground. I get to fidget with the pressurization system. I like being able to adjust the airspeed gauge for altitude and OAT. The systems are pretty well done. You have to fly it right or things break like the flaps and engines. I must admit, I do use reality XP 530 GPS. I love the click spots for the special VC views. They really make flying the plane a pleasure.

I would not hesitate.
    Do you think it would work okay on an i3 processor?
    Also in response to one of the posts above. Just tried out that Navion. I love it. Works on my system flawlessly

Blog Entries
    Do you think it would work okay on an i3 processor?
    Also in response to one of the posts above. Just tried out that Navion. I love it. Works on my system flawlessly
    You just might get away with the Duke then...it has a return policy. Good luck
    Ted

You just might get away with the Duke then...it has a return policy. Good luck
    Ted
    Thanks. Either way I'm considering either getting a whole new computer or just upgrading my processor

Blog Entries
    A good graphics processor is a must with all the advances made with FSX and P3D products. Things to consider...:O) When it comes to laptops-gaming notebook the higher end Nvidia and AMD graphics engines are far superior to Intel HD graphics. Glad you liked that Navion it is an everyday flier for me.

A good graphics processor is a must with all the advances made with FSX and P3D products. Things to consider...:O) When it comes to laptops-gaming notebook the higher end Nvidia and AMD graphics engines are far superior to Intel HD graphics. Glad you liked that Navion it is an everyday flier for me.
    The Intel HD graphics is just alright for me. I can still get really good detail if I sacrifice just a little on scenery and weather and I still enjoy FSX. I could have FPS as low as 12 and still enjoy it if the FPS is steady. And thanks again for the tip on the Navion! I'm gonna take it from KSEE to KLAS right now! Also, you may wanna check out the Just Flight Flying Club Piper Warrior. I train on that plain in real life, and the JF Warrior handles JUST like the real thing. The interior textures are a little rough, but the dynamics are spot on. My only complaint about it is that you need to start leaning the mixture at about 2400 feet, but in real life you can take the Warrior up to 3000 before needing to lean the mixture

FWIW the first edition Duke (I have it) is on sale as we speak - see the thread about the Lancair Legacy on sale.

Well I've decided I'm gonna try out the Duke. It has the Flight1 return policy so if it doesn't work I'm not out $50 :P

Do any of you guys know if the RealAir Duke works with Accufeel?

Blog Entries
    I'm no expert here, but it should work ok with accufeel. Accufeel can also be turned off which is very nice, and has a lot of options available. Its worth a shot, and if it doesnt work, you got some great stuff for when you upgrade your computer..

Yeah. If it doesn't do anything for the Duke I'll just turn it off. LOVE Accufeel though!

Accu-feel is fine with the Duke, but you may want to experiment with turning some or all of it on and off, since the Duke comes with some of its own features like wind noise and stall buffet, and you might prefer those.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Members who have read this thread: 0