Back after too long,so...what planes/scenery?

Thread: Back after too long,so...what planes/scenery?

Question Back after too long,so...what planes/scenery?

Evening all. After being away from FSX for a few years(after a PC meltdown I turned to the dark side..... X Box ), now with a new PC & a nice shiny 3TB hard drive to fill, Im looking for recommendations for the best free & payware planes & scenery from the last 2 years or so. Ive got a lot of stuff from A2A, Vertigo, OrbX etc, in fact so much payware it will take a week or 3 to re-download it all! And this time I will be more discerning with the free stuff, so FSX doesnt take 20 minutes to load like last time.

So what should I be getting?

Mainly into warbirds & older props, not tubeliners, as I was even worse at flying those than I was with prop stuff!

(And can I ask what happened to the SOH P-61 Black Widow project? Cant find that model,it was looking good when my last PC crashed.)

Thanks in anticipation(& thanks to Dangerous Dave for resetting the old account!)

So many great aircraft to choose from. I purchased the Milviz F-15E a few weeks ago and I haven't even looked at flying another aircraft since then, so I would recommend that.

One of the best older props from the last couple of years that comes immediately to mind is the brilliant An-2 from SibWings: http://www.sibwings.com/an2.php

Also, the freeware C-47 v2 by Manfred Jahn and team is very much worth checking out.

There's plenty of newer GA and tubes and military jets lately too, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after?

nice freeware Ryan Navion here on SOH, and I like the new Twin Otter from Aerosoft.
    A very decent freeware Mosquito from Dave Garwood too, and an outstanding FW190D from Classics Hangar.
    Scenery wise I would check out ORBX.
    Did I mention A2A's P-51?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    nice freeware Ryan Navion here on SOH, ....
    + 1 but I am bias

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=34&id=17667

Great to see you again.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I'm leaning towards recommending TACPACK, the Aerosoft F-14, The Metal2Mesh Mirage and anything made by Dino Cattaneo.

ORBX scenery and anything from A2A.

Blog Entries
    my recommendations would be to start with the Navion. Its an excellent plane in all ways. have flown it plenty myself and i'm extremely picky..
    You arent going to go wrong with Golden ages Magic one either..
    If you like military Dino's been doing magnificently and is definitely worth checking out..

Yep, I should of mentioned the Navion. it's a gem.

Also, Anthony's various Trojan packages - A, B/C, D are absolutely outstanding and really worth a recommendation! I forgot about them earlier. Edit: And the A package is a demo / donationware.

Wasn't somebody running an Excel spreadsheet of newly released high quality FSX aircraft?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Check these spreadsheets......

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...aft-Start-here!

You will find all the aircraft available, both pay-ware as free-ware!

The first freeware aircraft which pop into my mind when I read you are interested in prop warbirds are Dave Garwood's Beaufighter and Moquito. When you like vintage German fighters you might like the Classics Wings Heinkel He51 as well.

A must have FSX native prop airliner would be Manfred Jahn's C-47.

But there is just too much great stuff around to list in a single post. And it is all about personal preferences!

Cheers,
    Huub

You could do a lot worse than the Cessna 150K which is the subject of this thread.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

VRS TacPack
    VRS Superbug
    Aerosoft F-14X
    Aerosoft OV-10
    Cera Sim UH-60L

Freeware;
    M Jahn C-47/BT-67
    Dino everything: F-35, F-14D, S-3B. All must haves

Almost everything in this thread makes me smile and nod my head in appreciation!
    Jim Stewart

Thanks for all the plane recomendations fellas. Looking good.
    Have spent ages re downloading some of my payware stuff, a real pain as most of the links are dead & need t be reset by the seller(a special thanks to Steve at Flyingstations.com who did that darn quickly,and late at night too!)

Any good scenery? I am looking at more stuff from OrbX(already have most of the PNW & Oz stuff)

Also still looking for that P-61

Blog Entries
    I dont know where the P-61 is at.I'm really sorry about that. I had huge hopes too. Robert and I parted ways some time ago. I know hes done more work on it, but i havent seen him nor heard from him in a very long time..

This is what Robert is up to ATM:
    http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...on-xls.432300/

By the way: It wouldn't be the worst idea to make the P-61's source files publically available (it's still a community project, right?). Albeit I doubt that there are many bored modelers around, it would increase the chances that someone picks it up.

Aww well :-( It did look pretty good,and IIRC just needed a VC.

Wasnt it nearly ready for a RTWR a few years back(just as my PC crashed!) Could be used with a 2D racing cockpit,who needs a VC anyway

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I cant make the source files available. I'm happy too give out the fde which is about 98% complete, but Robert owns the copyright on the model files so he'd have to be the one to make that decision. I'm really sorry. But i cant even get him to give me a copy of the latest WIP.
    His Citation is looking totally awesome though. I like it.. Hope he has a good fde guy..
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski65 View Post
    Aww well :-( It did look pretty good,and IIRC just needed a VC.

Wasnt it nearly ready for a RTWR a few years back(just as my PC crashed!) Could be used with a 2D racing cockpit,who needs a VC anyway
    I had it in the RTWR a couple years ago. Has a VC, but at the stage i have it was just a panel and yoke. I think Roberts done far more since then, but he grew to hate the outhouse which is why he's no longer here.. guess hes grown to hate me too.. I dont know..
    Pam

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Unfortunately I cant make the source files available. I'm happy too give out the fde which is about 98% complete, but Robert owns the copyright on the model files so he'd have to be the one to make that decision. I'm really sorry. But i cant even get him to give me a copy of the latest WIP
    It was only a general statement, not a demand of any kind.

There are more important aircraft out there for me anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0