FsX on Steam December 18th!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FsX on Steam December 18th!

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar

FsX on Steam December 18th!

https://www.facebook.com/fsxinsider/...type=1&fref=nf

Dovetail Games, the multi award-winning developer and publisher of the Train Simulator series and Dovetail Games Fishing, today gave flight sim fans a lift for the holiday season with the announcement that Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition will launch on December 18 at a spectacular introductory price.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition delivers an authentically accurate aerial... experience for simulation enthusiasts and those with a passion for all things flight. Pilots can climb into the cockpits of over twenty aircraft, from commercial and fighter jets to single-engine private planes and helicopters. More than 80 missions will test players in a variety of ways, including search and rescue challenges, test pilot scenarios, races and more. The game features updated multiplayer functionality, Windows 8.1 support and over 24,000 airports, delivering a beautiful, connected world and vast horizon begging to be explored.

First released in 2006, Microsoft Flight Simulator X’s arrival on Steam marks the first exciting steps in the global licensing deal between Dovetail Games and Microsoft announced earlier this year. In addition to distributing Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition, Dovetail Games is also working on its own original titles based on Microsoft’s flight technology, carrying on nearly three decades of tradition established by this award-winning franchise. Dovetail Games and partners will also be launching a range of add-ons for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition on Steam in the New Year.

Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition will be available on Windows PC via Steam on December 18. This title is rated E (Everyone) by the ESRB.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Looks like it will be the Acceleration version of FSX too.
    Larry

I can't see that it's any different to what we already have.
    Where's the 'benefit' to buying the Steam version?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    I can't see that it's any different to what we already have.
    Where's the 'benefit' to buying the Steam version?

None, unless you want a digital back-up copy.

The DVD version is getting harder to find though, and FsX will now be available again. Hopefully this will only be the first step for Dovetail games, and they will build on FsX like they did on their train sims.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Be interesting if the FSX addons will work with this.

I still dont understand the value of FSX being on steam.

So much of FSX value is the localized content, either free or payware.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

So much of FSX value is the localized content, either free or payware.
    I think its a only proposition for new customer who has and uses only "games" from digital platform.
    Second - if You dont like Your CDs for installation...

The rest is like FSX + Acc pack.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It'll be more interesting if they do any of the bug-fixing they have said they were going to attempt. However, I can think of a few possible negatives:

- while you don't need to have your Steam library of games on your C: drive, I do believe your Steam library has to be all in one location. meaning that you might have difficulty sharing your dedicated FSX SSD with a 120GB library of other games (I have used Steam heavily for a lot of years, and have a lot of games on the platform). Perhaps I'm wrong on this, maybe things have changed recently to allow individual installation locations.

- Unless they keep the configurations files in the exact same structure before, which is doubtful given the current ones are located in Microsoft sub-folders and I'm sure Dovetail would want to put their own name on things, there will likely be installation headaches from older add-on installers. Installation issues may extend to even the folder structure within the main installation folder.

- the Steam launcher is required to be active to run Steam games, which means that there will be another process running in the background using a bit of system resources. I'm sure some may care about that.

Don't get me wrong: I have been a loyal supporter of the Steam platform for many, many years, and it's become an integral part of my computer gaming experience. I enjoy not being limited to an over-priced small selection of computer games in my local Best Buy. I enjoy easy installations and updates. I enjoy the numerous Steam sales that roll around a few times a year. But all of that said, with the FSX experience so dependent on modifying every single bit of the core installation via 3rd party addons, I don't see a real plus here. Even if it were to bring in new users to FSX, those users are going to be looking at a bare-bones install of FSX, with likely many hurdles to jump through to get it looking decent.

Now if Dovetail partnered with someone like Orbx to bring a fresh base sim to market, that I could see as a plus.

I guess time will tell!

Central reservation of the M62 in God's Own County.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyRFR View Post
    Unless they keep the configurations files in the exact same structure before, which is doubtful given the current ones are located in Microsoft sub-folders and I'm sure Dovetail would want to put their own name on things, there will likely be installation headaches from older add-on installers. Installation issues may extend to even the folder structure within the main installation folder.
    Third party addon installers read your registry to locate the FSX installation whichever drive it's on. So there shouldn't be any problems in that respect. They would also be very foolish to mess with the folder structure of FSX thus making installation of older addons difficult, where's the mileage in that?
    MickeyD

The game features updated multiplayer functionality
    This needs some clarification & is the most interesting part for me.
    My Military Flight Videos :

I have spent perhaps less than an hour on any Steam platform-based games, so I have no experience with it.

But do any Steam games allow for addons? If not, I doubt seriously I would pay anything to fly FSX on Steam.

NC

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

The same value that any other game that's available digitally brings - You can buy/download/install instantly and don't have to hunt down physical copies and then pay/wait for shipping.

I don't think anyone is expecting current FSX owners/user to go and buy steam copies. It's a convenient place for NEW users to purchase the game.

It's great that FSX is being put on Steam. The re-introduced multiplayer will surely be nice to have!

Now if Dovetail partnered with someone like Orbx to bring a fresh base sim to market, that I could see as a plus.
    I'd be a little uneasy if that happened. We need a new core engine, not new scenery. An Orbx partnership-based sim could potentially take things the wrong direction as Orbx might want to lock out other scenery developers/make it harder for non-Orbx companies to develop scenery (they seem very money-hungry).

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes-MDflyer4 View Post
    It's great that FSX is being put on Steam. The re-introduced multiplayer will surely be nice to have!

I'd be a little uneasy if that happened. We need a new core engine, not new scenery. An Orbx partnership-based sim could potentially take things the wrong direction as Orbx might want to lock out other scenery developers/make it harder for non-Orbx companies to develop scenery (they seem very money-hungry).
    Agree.. that would be a partnership TOO far!!

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post

But do any Steam games allow for addons?
    Yes they do. Been playing games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Assetto Corsa with lots of add-ons without problems.

We will be able to install any add-ons into it without any problems. As long as an installer can be redirected then there really won't be any issue.
    Nothing in the sim is any different. It's just FSX put onto the Steam platform - no new tech or development, just the multiplayer reinitialised.

This isn't Dovetails new sim. It's just them selling FSX via Steam as they have a proven track record on the platform and MS thought they could do a good job with it. A new core sim from them comes next and doesn't have anything to do with FSX going onto Steam.

It'll be more interesting if they do any of the bug-fixing they have said they were going to attempt. However, I can think of a few possible negatives:

- while you don't need to have your Steam library of games on your C: drive, I do believe your Steam library has to be all in one location. meaning that you might have difficulty sharing your dedicated FSX SSD with a 120GB library of other games (I have used Steam heavily for a lot of years, and have a lot of games on the platform). Perhaps I'm wrong on this, maybe things have changed recently to allow individual installation locations.
    No, you can install them where you want. Some of my Steam games are on C:, others are on G: for example. I'm quite a recent Steam user though, only a few years, so I don't know how it was before that.
    What is true is that there is only one possible location per drive, always drive_letter:\SteamLibrary\ (and then some subfolders specific to each game)

- Unless they keep the configurations files in the exact same structure before, which is doubtful given the current ones are located in Microsoft sub-folders and I'm sure Dovetail would want to put their own name on things, there will likely be installation headaches from older add-on installers. Installation issues may extend to even the folder structure within the main installation folder.
    I don't know, there is still written "Microsoft" on the picture on their facebook page, so they probably (hopefully) didn't touch that. Else, it is indeed going to be a mess...

- the Steam launcher is required to be active to run Steam games, which means that there will be another process running in the background using a bit of system resources. I'm sure some may care about that.
    Steam is always active on my computer and unless its downloading something, its power consumption is not problematic, especially on the CPU.

Don't get me wrong: I have been a loyal supporter of the Steam platform for many, many years, and it's become an integral part of my computer gaming experience. I enjoy not being limited to an over-priced small selection of computer games in my local Best Buy. I enjoy easy installations and updates. I enjoy the numerous Steam sales that roll around a few times a year. But all of that said, with the FSX experience so dependent on modifying every single bit of the core installation via 3rd party addons, I don't see a real plus here. Even if it were to bring in new users to FSX, those users are going to be looking at a bare-bones install of FSX, with likely many hurdles to jump through to get it looking decent.

I guess time will tell!
    That FSX will be the exact same as the one you have. Don't expect anything new for it. If we are extremely lucky, they may have fixed a bug or two, but given the total lack of communication about this, and the relatively short adaptation time, I wouldn't bet a penny on that.
    The real advantages of having FSX on Steam are the followings:
    - you don't need to find a place where to order your DVDs
    - you don't need to be afraid of damaging or losing your DVDs
    - you don't have to wonder how you should install and in which order, the installation will be automatic
    - you don't have to worry about how you should uninstall, for the very same reason
    - you don't have to worry about that stupid activation procedure, because it should be handled completely by the Steam plateform, which means you'll be able to install/uninstall as many times as you want no matter which components you change on your computer.

And there might be other advantages I don't have in mind right now. But basically, it will make everything much easier for the newcomers, if any.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    No, you can install them where you want. Some of my Steam games are on C:, others are on G: for example. I'm quite a recent Steam user though, only a few years, so I don't know how it was before that.
    What is true is that there is only one possible location per drive, always drive_letter:\SteamLibrary\ (and then some subfolders specific to each game)

I don't know, there is still written "Microsoft" on the picture on their facebook page, so they probably (hopefully) didn't touch that. Else, it is indeed going to be a mess...

Steam is always active on my computer and unless its downloading something, its power consumption is not problematic, especially on the CPU.

That FSX will be the exact same as the one you have. Don't expect anything new for it. If we are extremely lucky, they may have fixed a bug or two, but given the total lack of communication about this, and the relatively short adaptation time, I wouldn't bet a penny on that.
    The real advantages of having FSX on Steam are the followings:
    - you don't need to find a place where to order your DVDs
    - you don't need to be afraid of damaging or losing your DVDs
    - you don't have to wonder how you should install and in which order, the installation will be automatic
    - you don't have to worry about how you should uninstall, for the very same reason
    - you don't have to worry about that stupid activation procedure, because it should be handled completely by the Steam plateform, which means you'll be able to install/uninstall as many times as you want no matter which components you change on your computer.

And there might be other advantages I don't have in mind right now. But basically, it will make everything much easier for the newcomers, if any.

My main concern in my reference to the folder structure, is that right now all the configuration files are in sub-folders in a few different Microsoft folders. If they change them to be in 'Dovetail Games' folders, there will most definitely problems with older installers. I can see lots of potential issues there; obviously it would be in Dovetails best interest to keep things identical to before, but good ideas don't always make it through marketing!

I don't need convincing of how easy the Steam platform is to use; I must have hundreds of titles on Steam. I wasn't aware that you can have your Steam library split these days; it's been a long time since I've felt the need to do anything other than to point the whole mess to a large dedicated hard drive.

Perhaps it'll be a great thing, and bring in lots of new users. I tend to be overly cynical about things like this anyways! I could always be more cynical, and posit that they could possibly use the Steam launch to create a closed ecosystem whereby you could only use addons sold through Steam in co-operation with Dovetail...

I understand, from all of this, that it would just be a matter of pointing the installer to the Steam directories? What about manually moving addon aircraft files, as often done from FSX to P3D? NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I understand, from all of this, that it would just be a matter of pointing the installer to the Steam directories? What about manually moving addon aircraft files, as often done from FSX to P3D? NC
    There should be no issues with that.
    The game folder structure will probably not be changed, it's just that the main FSX folder will be located somewhere in a X:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\Common\* folder (X being one of your drives).

I can take another game as an example: Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (it's a role playing game). That game can be modded, by adding some files in a dedicated folder (a bit equivalent to our \Addon Scenery\ for FSX), and you could replace textures etc... Mod packages could be downloaded from various sites and installed manually or using some third-party tools.
    That game first appeared back when Steam didn't exist. I bought it on DVDs at that time, then later on, I offered these DVDs to my little brother.

Recently, that game appeared on Steam, and I took the opportunity to buy it again at low price.
    And i could install some mods again (Morrowind Overhaul, for those who know ) donwloaded out of Steam.

The most recent iteration of that game, names Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim, appeared on Steam from the start.
    You could download and install manually some mods, but there was also a "Steam Workshop", which is kind of a centralized mod page, from which you could download and install automatically the mods created by the community. I'm talking about freeware mods of course. The workshop offered to the mod creator a dedicated framework, like a webpage, where he could upload his mod, put a description and screenshots of his mods, very convenient.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes-MDflyer4 View Post

Yup that would most certainly be a disastrous move......
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

One major feature of Steam is that it automatically updates ALL your games with new patches and upgrades......... now, there aren't any for FSX of course, so that makes the current 'advantage' rather dubious.

But who knows.... in a few years from now ... *gg*
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

I'm Dubious at Best

When TS2015 (Train Simulator) came out, I saw many folks complaining about the loss of downloadable content (DLC) and many did not know if there was a way to get it back into TS2015. (BTW, if you were running TS2014, TS2015 was automatically provided by update....one had no choice.) I'm concerned that once Dovetail gets familiar with FSX, starts updating once per year with auto updates, 3rd party products and support won't be welcome unless a deal is made with Dovetail. I may be paranoid, but I don't see this being a good thing for FSX (and the thousand or so dollars I've spent on it).

I'm also seeing that standalone copies of FSX Gold are not readily available. Will we still get support from 3rd party vendors if "non-Steam" FSX operators can no longer increase (and will likely decline over the next couple years)?

Just Flight operates Just Trains and maybe will comment on how it works with Dovetail to add DLC to a Dovetail Steam sim / game.

Did I mention Dovetail DLC is not inexpensive?
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Am hoping the same does not happen to P3D. NC

Members who have read this thread: 0