Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving

I hope everyone had a great day.

So here is how my day started...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	15848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow1.jpg 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	15849Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snow3.jpg 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	15847

10" of heavy wet snow. Thats crazy even for Maine. My parents were telling me that it's been over 40 years since they have seen this much snow on or by Thanksgiving. So much for global warming.

Well in the pics what you don't see is my garage on the right side. Mostly cuz the door was open and I didn't want anyone to see my mess. Its almost as wide as the house is long. you can just see the door in the middel pic.

So I'm in the process of shoveling it all. No plow or snowblower. Oh well I have til saturday to finish.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    I hope everyone had a great day.

So here is how my day started...

10" of heavy wet snow. Thats crazy even for Maine. My parents were telling me that it's been over 40 years since they have seen this much snow on or by Thanksgiving. So much for global warming.

Well in the pics what you don't see is my garage on the right side. Mostly cuz the door was open and I didn't want anyone to see my mess. Its almost as wide as the house is long. you can just see the door in the middel pic.

So I'm in the process of shoveling it all. No plow or snowblower. Oh well I have til saturday to finish.
    Hi John,

sorry for your predicament. You are right, I do remember when I was living in CT having one or two Thanksgiving dinners with friends and wearing a short sleeve polo shirt. My 9-year experience with New England weather was of a slow cooling process during fall, which often offered splendid mild autumns and the enchanting fall foliage colours I still miss, when those memories come back to me. Then, mid-December through the end of March, there was hell to pay in terms of sub-freezing temperatures and snowfalls.

A 10" snowfall this time of the year it's definitely crazy, not only in ME, even in VT, where I have cherished friends that I often visited during weekends. Unfortunately, it is a consequence of global warming.

Meteorologists and weather scientists stated since the beginning that primary consequences of global warming would have been extreme weather events, extreme hot during summers, extreme rainfalls during rainy springs/falls and extreme cold during winters.

Here it's translating into nightmarish amounts of rainfalls and even snowfalls up in the North. These past three years have been disastrous, the amount of rain dumped during limited amounts of time is turning the entire country into an ocean of mud with landslides all over the place.

Undoubtedly it's primarily man's fault for overdeveloping and overbuilding where buildings should never be placed, like the proximity of river banks, lakes and the sea, but the global warming effect of extreme weather behaviour is quite evident. The two things together create a time bomb, which all too often cause deaths and damages to properties estimated in millions of Euros each time.

Take for example tornadoes, which were virtually unknown in Italy, happening only once every 15 to 20 years. Now they are becoming a familiar, uncomfortable presence in some areas here, anytime a rainstorm strikes. We are just being right hit by yet another rain front, the 9th since beginning of November. We just had over 15 hours of continuous downpour, so thick that my car wipers cannot clear my windshield fast enough even at top speed.

Last year winter was exceptionally good in my area, for it did not snow at all even if we almost drowned in rainfalls, but I had given in and bought an electric snow-thrower after 20+ years of hand shovelling! Living in ME, you should seriously consider getting one yourself: shovelling is not considered a good cardiac exercise!

I expect to use mine this coming winter......

Anyway, those pictures you posted are really nice, looking like Christmas postcards.....I hope you and your family had a Happy Thanksgiving, burying your snow related troubles in several servings of turkey, stuffing, gravy and pumpkin pie. Obviously washed down with fine wines and beers.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Yeah I find it amusing. I still haven't finished shoveling. I decided to go back in the house and have more pie. It will be done tonite. I'll get some after pic so you can see the size of the garage and driveway I had to shovel. All you can do is laugh and keep going.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

Icon22 Reply...

Blood_Hawk23,

The wet snow up here was sleet and a cold rain here. I woke up to a solid coating, maybe an inch on my car. Easy peasy to brush off. I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, so did I.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Blood_Hawk23,

The wet snow up here was sleet and a cold rain here. I woke up to a solid coating, maybe an inch on my car. Easy peasy to brush off. I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, so did I.
    You do mean "down here" right. Your atleast 3 to 4 hours south of me.

Minus the snow it was very good. I'm glad yours was as well. Everyone have a great weekend.

Members who have read this thread: 0