Air Wrench Question - Flaps (Advanced Setting)

Thread: Air Wrench Question - Flaps (Advanced Setting)

Air Wrench Question - Flaps (Advanced Setting)

Hi;

quick question about the flaps advanced settings in Air Wrench. I'm trying to adjust the maximum extension of the flaps on an aircraft. In the Systems tab, it has the settings for the flaps, but in order to change these you have to select "advanced flap settings". When I do this, it zeroes everything out, and I start fresh. Fine. I've got most of the settings, but how do I enter the flaps position settings? I'm going from zero to 40 degrees, should my flaps-position.0 be zero, or is it my first detente? I'm also assuming that the first data box is for the angle, but what is the second box for?

Lastly, I can take the drag and pitch scalars from the existing slides, but where do I find the lift scalar? I'm not interested at this point in changing the parameters, I'm more interested in changing max flaps angle from 45 degrees (current) to 40 degrees.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Paul

flaps-position.0 is flaps up. The first box is degrees that the flap is down and the 2nd for stopping the flaps from being lowed if you above the listed speed or damage to the flaps if your above the listed speed.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Thank you for the reply. One follow-up, if I may. If I leave the blow-out speed blank, will it just ignore that parameter, or will it cause me problems elsewhere?

Thanks!

Paul

Well in CFS2 degrees is the only thing listed for any of the flaps-position.#. I'm going to guess that any of the FSes will work fine with out a MPH listed.

SOH-CM-2023
    You don't really need Airwrench to alter the flaps angle, just change the values in the aircraft.cfg [flaps] section. Same goes for the lift, drag & pitch scalars & the damage & blowout speeds.
    HTH
    Keith

In the Systems tab, it has the settings for the flaps, but in order to change these you have to select "advanced flap settings". When I do this, it zeroes everything out, and I start fresh.

It does this if flaps haven't been defined in the aircraft.cfg file.

how do I enter the flaps position settings? I'm going from zero to 40 degrees, should my flaps-position.0 be zero

Yes.

I'm also assuming that the first data box is for the angle

Yes.

but what is the second box for?

I believe Allen is correct. You can find the speed parameter (degrees, KIAS) commented in some aircraft.cfg files (mooney bravo), but to be honest, I can't find any mention of this parameter in any SDK or any example of it actually being used in a default aircraft.cfg file.

Lastly, I can take the drag and pitch scalars from the existing slides, but where do I find the lift scalar?

These scalars are used to distribute the lift, pitch and drag between the 3 available flaps sets for modeling leading edge flaps, fowler flaps, etc. If you just have one set of trailing edge flaps, just set each scalar to 1.

I'm not interested at this point in changing the parameters, I'm more interested in changing max flaps angle from 45 degrees (current) to 40 degrees.

Set your last flap handle position (detent) to 40, and set the intermediate positions (takeoff, approach or whatever) to the appropriate values.

Thanks to all who responded to this. Incredibly helpful! The cfg file for the aircraft was old, so it lacked any of the parameters cited. It's been a while since I've fooled with any of this, and I'd forgotten far too much of it...

Again, thank you!

Paul

If the aircraft.cfg dosen't have a flap settting copy some from any aircraft it dose and edit from there.

SOH-CM-2023
    Don't forget that there are aircraft.cfg & .air file templates within your FS9 aircraft folder which cover broad headings of single engine to supersonic aircraft. The .cfg files can be modified using notepad.
    HTH
    Keith

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I'm a CFS2 kind of guy. Nothing against FS9, but I could never seem to get the guns to work....

but yeah, I'll give that a shot. This way it should also fly in FS9.

Paul

It may well be, especially for a CFS2 plane that the flaps data was in the .air file. My understanding is that the sim will first look in the cfg file, then the .air file for the needed info. Later sims have a lot more .cfg entries.

My only beef with Airwrench is you might only want to do a run to change one parameter, but it will adjust everything, which is unfortunate if you have manually adjusted something in the .air file the way you want.

Regards: T

Members who have read this thread: 1