Looking for Tips and Advice...

Thread: Looking for Tips and Advice...

Looking for Tips and Advice...

So I've been flying in the virtual skies for a while now, I'm pretty new to this forum, and I have finally decided to take the plunge and develop some addon planes for FSX. So guys, what software do I need? What advice can you give me?

How much spare time do you have? You're going to need plenty plus a fair bit of patience!

Do you have FSX Deluxe or FSX Gold Edition? The software development kit (SDK) is supplied with these and includes the plugin for Gmax to export models to FSX. Gmax is a free download and is wonderfully capable, but takes a lot of learning - as does the whole modelling process. FSDS from Abacus Software is an alternative for not too much money but don't spend anything more than that: there is another modelling tool used by some (including me) known as 3ds Max and it is appallingly expensive. Blender is another free alternative which is becoming used for FSX by a few since the tools were developed recently.

For everything else, unless you already have some expensive software, stay cheap. Painting software? Gimp, Paint.NET - both free downloads. Text file editing? There's any amount of options, even Notepad.

Start with the sticky threads at the top of this forum, especially the Gmax tutorial thread which will point you to Milton Shupe's famous (and excellent) series on starting modelling with Gmax: they're for FS2004, but the principles of modelling are the same. Just work through Gmax's own tutorials first to learn the tools.

Any questions, just yell.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

ehhhh.... I only have FSX standard SP2..... Will that be an issue?

Only FSX Deluxe or Gold have the SDK bundled with them, so you can build and paint your model but won't be able to export it to FSX without it...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Ooohhhhh..... okay. So even if I spent the money on FSDS, I would still need to buy FSX Gold or Deluxe? Which do you recommend?

FSX Gold. That way you get Acceleration and the latest SDK to include Acceleration-compatibility.
    Tom

You could always make aircraft for CFS2. I need a few more WWI AC's

or

You could find someone to team up with that could convert the models for you.

I second hairyspins comment on software choices and cost. I use Gmax and Paintshot pro X3 on my XP comp. Gmax and Paintshop pro X5 on my Win7. I've used PSP since psp 8. I like it better then photoshop. But I use them for more then just the flight sims. So I can justify the cost.

I would start small. learn the software. Make a few little models. Buildings are a great start. learn how to texture the models. learn about LODs and animations. lighting effects. take it slow to start. if you jump into something too big you will burnout and lose interest really fast.

Ask questions and build a group of mentors/advisors. We have some of the best around right here. The rest is having fun. Think of it as your own modeling kit. Just it doesn't require the physical materials to make a model.

Hope to see your work here in the near future.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    You could always make aircraft for CFS2. I need a few more WWI AC's

or

You could find someone to team up with that could convert the models for you.

I second hairyspins comment on software choices and cost. I use Gmax and Paintshot pro X3 on my XP comp. Gmax and Paintshop pro X5 on my Win7. I've used PSP since psp 8. I like it better then photoshop. But I use them for more then just the flight sims. So I can justify the cost.

I would start small. learn the software. Make a few little models. Buildings are a great start. learn how to texture the models. learn about LODs and animations. lighting effects. take it slow to start. if you jump into something too big you will burnout and lose interest really fast.

Ask questions and build a group of mentors/advisors. We have some of the best around right here. The rest is having fun. Think of it as your own modeling kit. Just it doesn't require the physical materials to make a model.

Hope to see your work here in the near future.
    I'm definitely interested in teaming up with someone, given that I don't have experience making addons. Eventually I wanna be able to make an Aerion AS2 or the SAI QSST for FSX- those would be fun!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0