Two-Seat Zippers

Thread: Two-Seat Zippers

Two-Seat Zippers

Dunno if anyone still regularly flies the CS F-104 but here are two versions of the two-seater I've been working on, both former residents of Luke AFB Az. 61-3076 was emblazoned with a bicentennial commemorative paint scheme in 1976; this version has the flashes on the tip tanks, though I've done the bars version too. They have some stencils lifted from the SSW F-104G paint kit so I'd need permissions to publish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TF-104G Bicent 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	15553

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TF-104G 454 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	15554

DaveQ

PS - Note to SSW: Can we have one please!!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Looks good on the outside for sure. I have this one but haven't tried it in FSX at all. How does the cockpit fair? Any missing textures or weirdness we sometimes get with portovers? Or did they remake it for FSX?

One of the many planes whose looks are improved by at least 60% thanks to the second cockpit.
    (Next to the F-101B, F9F-8/TF-9J, Mirage 3B, etc...)

Blog Entries
    Dave ... ... I know you ... Yes ... I believe I do ... http://vimeo.com/55026759 - Billy Connolly's famous Christmas Dinner skit ...

Great paints, btw. I like the shine. Your lovely F-102 NASA paint is my default scheme for that plane on Edwards duty, but it's getting high in hours ... might be time to park it for a bit and put a few more on the CS two-holer ...

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Looks good on the outside for sure. I have this one but haven't tried it in FSX at all. How does the cockpit fair? Any missing textures or weirdness we sometimes get with portovers? Or did they remake it for FSX?
    See here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...egendary-F-104

No FSX model that I'm aware of. The FS9 model works excellent for me. Had an issue in DX10, but got fixed when Henk (again!) came to the rescue with a canopy texture (exterior view). The only challenge is that it's now almost invisible - almost like there's not canopy at all - if you've managed to improve it, that'd take it from a 95% good working FS9 portover to 99% working. The rear canopy not opening is a 1% thing for me - others may have a greater hangup over that issue - YMMV ...

You need to bring up the port side 2d pop up panel to start generators, engine, lights, etc. Easy peasy to get started - no drama ...

All in all, I'm happy enough with it that I've not yet bought the SSW model - I just really like the feel of the interior textures and just feel too attached with what was my first ever payware model to ditch it - notwithstanding that the SSW likely has a better flight model .... Like Dave points out - since there's no 2-holer alternative, it's worth the simple portover just for that model.

Hope that helps,

dl

Thanks for your comments folks. As DL says, as a portover it works fine and there are a host of mods that can be applied to get it working reasonably well (the generators can be clicked from the vc btw). I use an adaptation of the SSW air and aircraft.cfg files to improve the flight dynamics and make it easier to fly. I'll contact SSW for some permissions and we could be good to go..

Since some of my favourites are portovers I've grown very tolerant of canopies with clouds...! Fly in endless blue, man!

DaveQ

PS - I'm with you Bjoern, 60% prettier at least!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    One of the many planes whose looks are improved by at least 60% thanks to the second cockpit.
    (Next to the F-101B, F9F-8/TF-9J, Mirage 3B, etc...)
    Yep, there's just something about a two-seater. All that plexiglass.

Thanks for the link DL.

These two are now available here and at Flightsim.com.

DaveQ

As I type this, Captain Sim are offering the Legendary F-104 at the knock-down price of 9.99 euros.
    Also the Legendary 727 and Mig-21UM (same price).

There was a thread on what had to be done to get this bird to fly in FSX, but I can't find it.

Dave
    Last edited by dhazelgrove; November 26th, 2014 at 08:35.

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    There was a thread on what had to be done to get this bird to fly in FSX, but I can't find it.

Dave
    Found it here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ight=legendary

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dhazelgrove View Post
    Please recheck that url - it does not work for me, and I REALLY want to improve this very attractive 104. Bill

Blog Entries
    I posted it in the 4th post of this very thread ...

See here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...egendary-F-104

dl

Blog Entries
    Funny - works fine for me.

Anyway - yes, that's the one!

dl

There's another link in the sixth post of that thread.
    That's the one you want.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Funny - works fine for me.
    Yep, your second attrempt works.
    The first one apparently turned the abbreviated URL into a link and thus went belly-up.

She flies!

Dave

This ex-RCAF CD-104D, 104637, is currently being restored at Bodo in Norway by the Friends of the Norwegian Starfighter and is set to fly very soon.

DaveQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cf-104D RNAF 1.jpg  

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, all. Dave, did you ever release the Norwegian repaint for the TF-104? I assume it is one of yours. I have been following Henk's instructions for porting it to FSX and this texture looked too good to miss.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattcurry View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, all. Dave, did you ever release the Norwegian repaint for the TF-104? I assume it is one of yours. I have been following Henk's instructions for porting it to FSX and this texture looked too good to miss.

Matt
    No Matt, for some reason I didn't, but will do so when I can get a moment, hopefully this week sometime.

DaveQ

Thanks, Dave. I look forward to it.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattcurry View Post
    Thanks, Dave. I look forward to it.

Matt
    Done. Managed to get a 'window' this morning.

DaveQ

Members who have read this thread: 0