Aerosoft's F-14 Tomcat.....a small update - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Aerosoft's F-14 Tomcat.....a small update

Forgive the perhaps obvious statement, but since Tac Pack is an integrated part of the package and this package comes with a superb AI SU27 and TU95, do the AI birds shoot back? This would make interception far more realistic, in my opinion, than a scripted waypoint that gets breached.
    ....my other Stryker is a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye.....

Matt

The birds do not shoot back, and this is explained below.

I think there are two general ways of simulating military operations for the F-14. There is realistic in the sense of attempting to recreate historical events (maybe call that authentic), and there is realistic within the realm of plausibility (e.g. what would happen "if") where the core purpose can be distilled to virtual combat training.

This package leans towards the former, where the AI scenarios were created by reading through carrier logs and interviewing an F-14 driver with 4,000 hours flight time. On that end, two brief quotes I have from the conversation:

Flanker
    "The Su-27 was a very dangerous threat! They had some serious firepower, Radar, and some amazing maneuverability, but for all of that, the majority would head for the hills once they were detected. Planes and aircrews are expensive, so they (the country of origin) were very reluctant to mess around with us and risk losing an asset."

and then there is this article:
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=81971

Bear
    "We would warn them off, telling them not to over fly the fleet or else! Rarely did they give us any trouble and on a few occasions, we let them over fly the fleet. We would get nice and close. Close enough to throw rocks at them, then we would communicate with the crew, either with hand gestures or playboy pin ups. One young tail gunner even sported an American flag and a sign that read, GO USA! He then dropped his trousers and pressed his ass against the glass!

Now, if they would not turn, we could try to persuade them by trying to disrupt the airflow over their wings or props. We would perform Thach weaves in front of them or make really high speed passes"

-------------

Hope that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    The birds do not shoot back, and this is explained below.

I think there are two general ways of simulating military operations for the F-14. There is realistic in the sense of attempting to recreate historical events (maybe call that authentic), and there is realistic within the realm of plausibility (e.g. what would happen "if") where the core purpose can be distilled to virtual combat training.

This package leans towards the former, where the AI scenarios were created by reading through carrier logs and interviewing an F-14 driver with 4,000 hours flight time. On that end, two brief quotes I have from the conversation:

Flanker
    "The Su-27 was a very dangerous threat! They had some serious firepower, Radar, and some amazing maneuverability, but for all of that, the majority would head for the hills once they were detected. Planes and aircrews are expensive, so they (the country of origin) were very reluctant to mess around with us and risk losing an asset."

and then there is this article:
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=81971

Bear
    "We would warn them off, telling them not to over fly the fleet or else! Rarely did they give us any trouble and on a few occasions, we let them over fly the fleet. We would get nice and close. Close enough to throw rocks at them, then we would communicate with the crew, either with hand gestures or playboy pin ups. One young tail gunner even sported an American flag and a sign that read, GO USA! He then dropped his trousers and pressed his ass against the glass!

Now, if they would not turn, we could try to persuade them by trying to disrupt the airflow over their wings or props. We would perform Thach weaves in front of them or make really high speed passes"

-------------

Hope that makes sense?

John, thanks for the clarification. It does make sense and I suspected it was more of a show of force versus missiles flying. It will be great seeing Tac Pack mature and others incorporating it into their future builds. I still very much look forward to getting cozy with the Bears...

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    you may want this: http://uchisworld.wordpress.com/2014...and-fclp-mods/

Yes, there is a vLSO integration.
    Thanks, been using JS's FS9 build NTU for awhile now. I already have vLSO NALF Fentress in, well used with the VRS, but plan on going out to then NAS Miramar and relive the very early days of the Tomcat with VF-1 or 2.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Last edited by strykerpsg; December 4th, 2014 at 05:41. Reason: added link

Matt

Members who have read this thread: 2