FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released - Page 6
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: FSX: The 1940 Fokker T.5 bomber released

The T.V and B-25 have in common that they both have two engines and a twin tail, but that is about it. The T.V has a mixed structure, partly metal.wooden wings and the rear part is a fabric covered steel structure, while the B-25 is an all metal aircraft. The T.V has actually more in common with the British medium bombers like the Blenheim, Wellington and Hampden.

Cheers,
    Huub

Working on spec maps and bump maps, and I'm happy to conclude that I didn't unlearn bumping. First one looks fine immediately! The fuselage of the T.5 is different from that of the D.21, so light will be distributed on a different way. That's one of the reasons of my 'peculiar' flight attitude in this shot. Oh, and the tailwheel has a little technical malfunction.

dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Ah yes, the good, old keyframe f-up. "What way is this supposed to turn...?"

I wish I could do my bump maps as nicely as you.

Thanks Bjoern! It isn't that difficult though. In fact I just start with a 128,128,128 layer, putting a layer of darker panellines above that layer (so they appear deeper) and lighter rivets. Then, I add a metal effect: take a regular water texture, desaturate it and adjust the contrast+brightness so that it's around 128,128,128. Using a layer mask, I mask the panellines and the rivets from this 'water' Next on a very slight noise overlay and that's it (for metal, fabric is another thing). Oh, and convert it using Arno's MCX Texture Converter.

Edit:
    Fabric: I have normally for these textures already a black-to-alpha blend, which I take along to the normal map. The mid of the fabric is being darkened using a black airbrush and regulating the opacity. A white stripe is placed over the stringers, that's it. It's already very satisfying after a few trials.

It looks very nice Daan!

it is looking very good indeed!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Yup, looks very nice!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Thanks Bjoern! It isn't that difficult though. In fact I just start with a 128,128,128 layer, putting a layer of darker panellines above that layer (so they appear deeper) and lighter rivets. Then, I add a metal effect: take a regular water texture, desaturate it and adjust the contrast+brightness so that it's around 128,128,128. Using a layer mask, I mask the panellines and the rivets from this 'water' Next on a very slight noise overlay and that's it (for metal, fabric is another thing). Oh, and convert it using Arno's MCX Texture Converter.

Edit:
    Fabric: I have normally for these textures already a black-to-alpha blend, which I take along to the normal map. The mid of the fabric is being darkened using a black airbrush and regulating the opacity. A white stripe is placed over the stringers, that's it. It's already very satisfying after a few trials.
    Thanks!

I used to simply take my detail layers and adjust them for brightness (sunk or raised) over the plain diffuse texture (or so...it's been a while) and then do GIMP's "normal map" magic. Starting off with a "neutral" medium gray background and the mild water/plasma clouds and noise for the areas in between is new to me.

As for bump map conversion, I generally run them through ImageTool with .psd as the input format as other methods did produce unusable garbage in FSX.
    (See the bottom of my post here: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/thr...mp-maps.56595/)

I think the majority of my complete workflow is different, but, never mind...

The idea behind the clouds/plasma/water is in fact: adding a bit of texture to your bump After I created the basic bump map, for my first D.21 textures, I really wanted a bit extra. Photographs of the D.21 show an irregular surface, especially since the metal skins on the D.21 weren't structural members, and that's what I wanted to implement. Here you can see it on the prototype:

What I want to achieve on my T.5 nose section (which was the now-common stressed skin structure), is the following (albeit a bit exaggerated, but nice in sim):

Messing around with the pattern and neutralising the rivet- and panellines, will give this in fact:

I've been searching the web for a nice method to achieve this and I found someone who used water, and I started experimenting with it.

I think the majority of my complete workflow is different, but, never mind...
    It was more of a H/U regarding the perils of improper conversion.
    I might just adopt your bump map creation workflow the next time that I have to deal with them.

The idea behind the clouds/plasma/water is in fact: adding a bit of texture to your bump After I created the basic bump map, for my first D.21 textures, I really wanted a bit extra. Photographs of the D.21 show an irregular surface, especially since the metal skins on the D.21 weren't structural members, and that's what I wanted to implement. Here you can see it on the prototype:
    That actually makes sense. As I've said: Noted for later use.

Tried out both Flight Environment X and FSRecorder today: satisfactory!

A few pics:

I rendered a vid too, but that will follow later on...

Fokker T.5 video

The video:

Oh my!!!!!!!!!!
    Marvin Carter
    No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails thumbup.gif  
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=81650&dateline=141228  2824

Two more months.......and it already looks stunning!

Cees

Solothurn nose-mounted 20mm cannon.

Is that a bag to collect the shells?

Cees

Yep Cees. I might consider removing the thing for practical reasons by the way.

Here's a pic of the textured Solothurn, with and without shell bag. Pretty satisfactory IMHO.

Looking good indeed!

Cees

looking amazing keep up the great work
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Looks great, Daan!

Apparently it was quite drafty in the nose of the T.V, with a big hole in the panels to stick this gun through..
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

It was, Ferry! Sometimes crewmembers got inconscious due to cold and oxygen shortage.

I made today better light effects, including the blueish formation lights. Not sure about the color of the latter btw.
    I'm experimenting with 3D lights now too, for the landing lights.

Compare! After:

Before:

I'm experimenting with 3D lights now too, for the landing lights.
    Well, you know where to find the recipe for the materials...

The gun looks impressive and the lights look very good nice!

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 3