FSX Full Screen, cant get back in..?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSX Full Screen, cant get back in..?

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!

FSX Full Screen, cant get back in..?

Hey guys,

Crazy question. How do you get back into FSX if you had to leave it for a moment?

On my last rigs, it was easy. I am running XP now again (thank the Lord) and having issues getting back into the sim when having to leave for a moment.

I have tried using the escape key several times, tried working the toolbar (nothing shows, but tried accessing menus like Aircraft Selection window but no go).

With vista (cough cough) I could hit escape twice and I was back in...

Any suggestions? (Dont say its because its an iMac )...

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey guys,

With vista (cough cough) I could hit escape twice and I was back in...

Any suggestions? (Dont say its because its an iMac )...

Bill
    Delete XP and reinstall Vista, then hit escape twice...

Well on my PC, if I were to say hit alt+tab to go from flying in FSX to windows (xp), I just double click FSX on my bottom tool bar really fast and it usually pops back up

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by djscoo View Post

Now thats funny there...........

Quote Originally Posted by MenendezDiego View Post
    Well on my PC, if I were to say hit alt+tab to go from flying in FSX to windows (xp), I just double click FSX on my bottom tool bar really fast and it usually pops back up
    I do that too but sometimes FS doesn't come back up when I just click the task bar. In that case, I use Alt-Tab again to _slowly_ cycle between what ever is running then I release it again on FS. Usually then it'll pop back up after a few seconds.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by djscoo View Post

LOLOLOL.....

LMAO...

:ernae:

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Alt Enter
    Will do the trick for ya. :ernae:

I can confirm what Marlin says, I have to drop out all the time and it can be a nightmare gettng back in, often ending with a black screen, but usually ALT + ENTER works, although you may have to use the key combination a few times.

It's also worth noting, if FSX keeps popping back when you have dropped out, try bringing up the task manager and leave it running in the background while you are working outside of FSX, that can sometimes deter FSX from popping back up of it's own accord, which is most, most frustrating.
    Cheers,

Nick

(screenshotartist - long gone)

CTRL+ALT+DEL

Tab "Tasks" -> Highlight "Flight Simulator X" -> Click "Change to..." (or so) at the bottom -> Wait -> If FSX is fullscreen'ed again, hit ALT+Enter -> Wait for FSX to window -> Select the still open Task Manager window -> Close Task Manager -> Select the FSX window -> ALT+Enter -> Continue flying

From then on:
    Before you minimize FSX, go to windowed mode, which won't cause any trouble with minimzing/maximizing.

hinch
    I just rapidly click the toolbar icon and it pops back =)

Lightbulb

Right click Task Bar -> Click Task manager -> Highlight FSX then click Switch too.

Easy.

Ben

By the way, why have you switched back to XP?

SOH-CM-2024
    Bill, I have Vista 64.

I have done both ways of Alt-Enter and Alt > View > Full Screen from the FSX menu. Quite often hitting Alt-Enter through me back to desktop or either caused FSX to reload. I have found that using the FSX drop down View menu is my best option.

Caz

Didn't quite escape.
    If you are running FSX full screen and, after alt-tabbing using the windows key to get out to another application, all you need to do to get back into FS (full screen again) is:

alt-tab to FSX.

If it stays at desktop or your 2d application, press enter again (just enter, not alt-enter or anything).

FSX will now be the active application again. That always works for me.

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBenn21 View Post
    Right click Task Bar -> Click Task manager -> Highlight FSX then click Switch too.

Easy.

Ben

By the way, why have you switched back to XP?

Oh goodness Ben,

That is a long story. Being a Dev, and working as fast as I can or try to, and working in vista, it was a nightmare. XP is much faster, the file access system is cleaner, quicker, more precise, it runs FS better, it boots up better, it never tells me I cant do something, it doesnt change file names, it doesnt stack files in a zigzag (making searching for texture files in large folders a nightmare).

XP is like a Viper V10... Powerful, basic..

I can see now, what MS was trying to do when they made vista. Now that I am proficient in Mac/Apple/Leopard 10.5, you can see how MS was trying to come up with neat little artistic touches to windows, but they didnt succeed in making it user friendly and efficient. Apple has the most coolest animations and fade ins/outs, and 'abilities'. With vista, it has some, and are nearly copied from Mac, and the end result is a OS that takes quite a while to run, has a ton of background services (programs) humming away eating up memory resources, and has issues with a user using its controls, lol..

God bless XP! God bless Apple Leopard 10.5+ :amen:

(vista isnt for everyone... XP isnt for everyone... Mac isnt for everyone.. But I think 'freedom' is... ).

Bill

SOH-CM-2014
    Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    If you are running FSX full screen and, after alt-tabbing using the windows key to get out to another application, all you need to do to get back into FS (full screen again) is:

alt-tab to FSX.

If it stays at desktop or your 2d application, press enter again (just enter, not alt-enter or anything).

FSX will now be the active application again. That always works for me.

Well Ian, I have tried everything.

I have found that with WinXP, running FSX, if I Alt-Tab out, I cannot get back in. (Tried all suggestions, several times, does not work).

But I did find that if I 'Alt-Enter' (out) of FSX, (taking it into windows mode), then I can Alt-Enter it back to full screen mode. But if the screen goes black, I cannot get back in. So I'll have to learn not to Alt-Tab with FSX anymore.. arrghh..

I never seemed to have this issue.. I wonder if its an update?.

Bill

Happiness Consultant
    Put a mac in front of him for a week and he goes brain dead on windows ...
    tsk tsk.

:help:
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

Bill, I remember from way back when FSX came out somebody (Phil?) said to never Alt Tab as it might freeze up on ya.

I stopped doing that when, as suggested it would freeze up, it froze up.

The first time you Alt Enter from the fullscreen, fsx will be in a 'very' small screen, at least for me. No big deal.

As far as not getting back in, I have not a clue what you are talking about. The thing that drives me nuts is when something in the background starts up then it freezes the sim in fullscreen. Then I can't get out of it except to hit the computer reset button. Grrrr.
    ctrl alt delete ? nope. Esc, nothing. Alt tab, naaa. Backhand the tower? Screen flickers a bit, then nothing. Reset button? Now that works.

Had same problem and others on my old rig that died a couple months ago. Would lock up solid if disturbed (FSX, not me ) if I hit Cntrl by mistake instead of Alt, or antivirus update window clicked in., etc. At first suspected XP Pro, then memory problem (again, not me ). Tweaked the heck out of it, same problem. New rig is fine, and on XP home, so think it's hardware or graphics setting related. Can still get aircraft not showing in selection in NHancer combinations, so guessing its a hardware issue.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Oh goodness Ben,

That is a long story. Being a Dev, and working as fast as I can or try to, and working in vista, it was a nightmare. XP is much faster, the file access system is cleaner, quicker, more precise, it runs FS better, it boots up better, it never tells me I cant do something, it doesnt change file names, it doesnt stack files in a zigzag (making searching for texture files in large folders a nightmare).

XP is like a Viper V10... Powerful, basic..

I can see now, what MS was trying to do when they made vista. Now that I am proficient in Mac/Apple/Leopard 10.5, you can see how MS was trying to come up with neat little artistic touches to windows, but they didnt succeed in making it user friendly and efficient. Apple has the most coolest animations and fade ins/outs, and 'abilities'. With vista, it has some, and are nearly copied from Mac, and the end result is a OS that takes quite a while to run, has a ton of background services (programs) humming away eating up memory resources, and has issues with a user using its controls, lol..

God bless XP! God bless Apple Leopard 10.5+ :amen:

(vista isnt for everyone... XP isnt for everyone... Mac isnt for everyone.. But I think 'freedom' is... ).

Bill
    Ahhh... I just bought VISTA, but haven't installed it yet. (I'm waiting for my new display card to arrive.) I just hope I'm not gonna pull my hair out. Been tying to get a "non-OEM" XP version, but I can't find one anywhere!
    This will be the first time that I'll be using VISTA.
    I remember the day that I was excited for a new OS from MS, but these days I'm not that thrilled about the idea and from what I've heard like now from you...
    I love XP, but I've over used my lisence and like to be legal. LOL
    I can sometimes understand why people hate MS and Pirate their software! The whole thing makes me want to
    :focus:

Ben

SOH-CM-2014
    Hey Ben,

My apologies. I do try not to be a critique. I had a personal war with MS concerning XP and vista. I was a special case.

I have to say that vista does work with some people. There are people here, even devs that will stand with it and swear by it. So it has its good points. Its built for computers that are only just now coming out, as the OS is huge, but if you have a new computer, you will never notice a thing. (When it first came out, computers choked on it).

Now, with the updates, it seems like a 'fair' OS.

I hate it.. But some love it.. Dont go by what I say about it. Try it for yourself and see what you think. You might fall in love with it.

'sweet freedom'...

Note; you can by brand new copies of XP in their packages on Ebay for about $100.00, so if you ever need a backup disc, there is where to go.

Bill

Didn't quite escape.
    To be fair (and I still seriously dislike Vista), most of the serious problems with it were ironed out with SP1. Turn off Aero, turn off UAC and most things will work fine.

I still find it a gross resource hog, but I am prepared to use it now, which I certainly wasn't pre-SP1.

Quote Originally Posted by IanP View Post
    To be fair (and I still seriously dislike Vista), most of the serious problems with it were ironed out with SP1. Turn off Aero, turn off UAC and most things will work fine.

I still find it a gross resource hog, but I am prepared to use it now, which I certainly wasn't pre-SP1.
    Is there places or even software that can optimise VISTA? I know there are heaps for XP. I also remember a heavly modified (hacked) XP going around call XP Lite or something. Never saw it though, just heard.

Ben

Didn't quite escape.
    There are plenty of sites out there that provide you with information to slim down Vista, but even with everything turned off, it's still a resource hog. I'm sure Ted, or one of the other "system tweaker" types, will be able to give you specific links.

Although I now have Vista64 installed on my main system, I'm also keeping my pre-existing XP32 install on there as well, even though it doesn't recognise or use all my RAM... There's too much that I have which doesn't work, or doesn't work properly, on Vista for me to change completely.

SOH-CM-2014
    Well drats.. Going to windows mode (Alt - Enter) and temporarily doing an adjustment just makes the small screen version turn black as well, lol..

This must be a update issue. Its never happened before..

Bill

Speaking of updates, I just got a notification for a Framework 3.5 update of 248MB.

Did you already download this?
    Do you think that that might be the problem?