DDS texture conversion

Thread: DDS texture conversion

DDS texture conversion

what do I have to do to preserve reflective textures when converting from fs9 textures to DDS I've just tried converting some really nice textures for the Virtavia Cutlass but the reflection seems to be flat now

Thanks

Hooky

Do you use the DXTbmp application? If so, you might need to flip both the Normal Map and the Alpha Vertically. But I don't use FS9 aircraft, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will respond!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    ... a Cutlass, you say ...

One of the nicer portovers ... will be watching for this!

dl

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    ... a Cutlass, you say ...

One of the nicer portovers ... will be watching for this!

dl
    Bought up a load of the cheaper Virtavia designs lately. Its been pretty well overhauled for FSX no glass issues shadowing bump maps the works! but the only repaints I've found for it were done for the FS9 version (and they look fantastic) but I can't get the same shine on them in FSX!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cu 01.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	15052 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cu 02.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	15053 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cu 07.jpg 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	15054

I'm sure there is a way for doing it I'm just still more fluent with Fs2004 techniques than I am with FSX I nearly had a fit trying to alter some traffic files yersterday thanks for the input fella's

Hooky

Unless you are converting the model to FSX native, or using an AGP video card, there is no need to convert the textures at all.

FS9 format Extended Bitmaps work just fine in FSX.

cheers,
    Lane

bmp2dds.bat

You can use an automated script to convert a bunch of bmp files to dds. I'm using this old trick by Wozza.

You'll need "imagetool.exe". You may already have it somewhere in your FSX installation. If not, get it here

And my "bmp2dds.bat" script file looks like this:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\FsxTools\imagetool.exe" -nobeep -nomip -DXT5 -dds -nodither *.bmp
    Edit this file to correct the path to your copy of imagetool.exe. Then put a copy of "bmp2dds.bat" inside the folder where your bmp files are, and double-click on it.

Not sure if this script does what you are looking for (improve reflection) but it's so easy to use, why don't you give it a try? Converting BMP to DDS with this script has some advantages, like reducing the file size, removing the mipmaps (useless for non-AI aircrafts), fixing some DX10 issues... I use it with all my FS9 portovers.

Blog Entries
    Yes, thanks Hooky.

Mine is working fine in FSX - and those paints by Pierre Llerreux embody a wonderful, fun/fast paced period in FS history.

I'm picturing what Rick did with the B-58, with those highly reflective textures, and it's a very exciting prospect ...

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky722 View Post
    I'm sure there is a way for doing it I'm just still more fluent with Fs2004 techniques than I am with FSX I nearly had a fit trying to alter some traffic files yersterday thanks for the input fella's

Hooky
    Did you succeed in altering the traffic files?

Cees

Have you tried using DX10? I've found that with some FSX models reflective textures don't work with DX9. Don't ask me why.... An example is Manfred Jahn's C-47. Could be my graphics card because I've only recently become aware of the problem. I'm using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti with an Intel i7-4820 processor.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    Did you succeed in altering the traffic files?

Cees
    No Cees I'm afraid not. I was going to take a crack at it again this weekend if I have time. I was trying to edit the Captain Sim traffic files that come with the CS Weapon expansion so that the Eastern Block aircraft stay in the DDR and Western aircraft don't wind up in North Korea sat next to a load of Migs!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vonstroheim View Post
    You can use an automated script to convert a bunch of bmp files to dds. I'm using this old trick by Wozza.

You'll need "imagetool.exe". You may already have it somewhere in your FSX installation. If not, get it here

And my "bmp2dds.bat" script file looks like this:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\FsxTools\imagetool.exe" -nobeep -nomip -DXT5 -dds -nodither *.bmp
    Edit this file to correct the path to your copy of imagetool.exe. Then put a copy of "bmp2dds.bat" inside the folder where your bmp files are, and double-click on it.

Not sure if this script does what you are looking for (improve reflection) but it's so easy to use, why don't you give it a try? Converting BMP to DDS with this script has some advantages, like reducing the file size, removing the mipmaps (useless for non-AI aircrafts), fixing some DX10 issues... I use it with all my FS9 portovers.
    I'm afraid that didn't work I'm probably doing something wrong tbh because there all still bmp's not DDS! lol nevermind, worth a try anyway, thank you But I think I'm going to have to live how they are anyway as it's just getting a little bit too complex for me at the moment, But next questions does anyone know of any decent afterburner effects that would look good on the AS Skyray the one's included look a little dated now to be honest.

Members who have read this thread: 1