NAS N3N-1 Floatplane

Thread: NAS N3N-1 Floatplane

NAS N3N-1 Floatplane

Hi Folks,
    Just uploaded the updated floatplane version of the Yellow Peril wheeled trainer, same tweaks as new crew, and slightly tweaked texs.

Go and see the sights of Pensacola.......

Cheers

Shessi

Nice, thanks!

Huub

Looks very good in the screenies. Goodness knows when I'll get a chance to see it in the sim. Hopefully soon!

What changes did you make? A new crew is self-explanatory, but what else did you do?

BTW, it's listed as an N3N-1, but it's still a -3. The -1 had a very different rear fuselage and vertical tail. I just checked out your textures and you seem to have re-instated Steven Grant's original metal panel lines as they would appear on a -1, but the model still has the shape of a -3, which had a fabric covered rear fuselage.

The confusion goes way back to the original Steven Grant model; he modeled a -3 and erroneously called it a -1.

Where I'm going with this, lest the hint somehow be missed, is that it would be very nice to see a model of a -1 with the fabric fuselage and angular rudder. All the pre-war and wartime paints would be appropriate for both versions. The -1 would need the metal panel lines and the -3 would need the fabric formers, but both versions of the textures already exist. The post-war paint, of course, would only be appropriate for a -3, since there were no more -1s left by then.

I know, it's easy for me to suggest a -1 model, since I have no hint of a clue as to what would be involved in making one.
    Last edited by Mick; November 11th, 2014 at 05:39.

Question

You spotter!!!! ha ha...

TBH I'm so confused I don't know who I am or where I live now?????????!!!!!

I really did this as a 'quick and dirty' update to follow the wheeled trainer I did, so gave good crew and rudder painting options. Maybe I should have taken more time to look into it....

Sorry Mick, but I'm not going to re-visit this anytime soon, as I've got so many other projects pressing.

What's the best way, pull it and rename everything as a -1, and re-upload or just leave it?

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    ...I'm not going to re-visit this anytime soon, as I've got so many other projects pressing.
    Aw, I thought maybe we'd get a -1 out of this. To complete the set, so to speak.

What's the best way, pull it and rename everything as a -1, and re-upload or just leave it?
    I Dunno. If you were to pull it and re-upload, you could replace the -1 fuselage textures with my -3 ones and call it an upgraded -3, which is what it is.

Or even simpler, just
    delete the texture folders (paints that N3N affecionados must already have) and call it an upgraded -3.

If you leave it the way it is, it's a -3 model painted as a -1 and called a -1, which is isn't. Not such a terrible thing, but not completely satisfying either.

(Still gotta look at he new crew and what else you did.)

Righto, Mick,
    Changed all to N3N-3, added your No. 47 texs (if you don't mind?!), and going to re-upload it and get Rami to replace the original one, so we have a bit of accuracy here.

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails N3N-3 floatplane 1.jpg  

Righto, Mick,
    Changed all to N3N-3, added your No. 47 texs (if you don't mind?!), and going to re-upload it and get Rami to replace the original one, so we have a bit of accuracy here.

Cheers

Shessi
    Excellent! Or as they'd say in the Navy, Well Done!

Now I have to put it into GW and check out your mods. Maybe today if I get a frew free moments.

Members who have read this thread: 0