"Project Fokker" F28 for FSX ....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Project Fokker" F28 for FSX ....

"Project Fokker" F28 for FSX ....

Hi,

Is there any interrest here in me uploading the "Project Fokker F28" for FSX ?

Since I was part of the orginal development team, I still like this freeware FS9 aircraft very much.
    Very nice to fly, a lot of emulated systems and a very good visual model.
    Allthough it lacked a VC, quite some systems were emulated "3D" in "2D" windows.

So what I did:
    - Replaced all incompatible gauges with FSX-compatible ones.
    - Adapted the main 2D panel for widescreen monitors.
    - Tweaked some system gauges to FSX (like my fully automated Autoland system, which even works at 25 Knots crosswind).

Still no VC though, to avoid disappointment.

Rob

I would be very appreciative if you would do so, my FS9 flights were cut short as the original F28 turned feral and I gave up.
    VC or no VC, she was very good at times!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Rob, to have that "old sweetie" in FSX is simply a "Must have" for me - fly her so often in the good old FS9-Days. She was superbly done.

Kindest regards

Dirk

Anything from Fokker is appreciated!

Cees

Are you kidding??

Of course I would love to have that Dutch bird in my hangar.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Icon26

Hi Rob,

Yes please...........but you would not be helping my efforts to slim down my hangars....

best regards

Rick Canham
    Australia

OK, enough interrest

Will probably be uploaded in a week or so, since I need to sort everything out for a simpel zip file (it won't come with an Installer, but all stuff will be in one single aircraft folder).
    See attached pictures.

Rob

PS:
    @Bjoern: as far as I know the .mdl source files were lost a long time ago.
    But if you explain what/why, I can try to contact Ton van der Laar to check if he can still dig them up somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F28-Exterior.jpg   F28-MainPanel.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    @Bjoern: as far as I know the .mdl source files were lost a long time ago.
    But if you explain what/why, I can try to contact Ton van der Laar to check if he can still dig them up somewhere.
    Well, I actually had a FSX native conversion and maybe building a VC in mind, but looking at the operators list on Wikipedia, there were only three or four operators in the USA. And the panel looks like it needs even more work to create some original gauges that work in FSX.

Does the small number of US operators keep you from creating a VC?

By the way, I think it is not too difficult to code the VC, based on 2D gauges. Can this be true?
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    Does the small number of US operators keep you from creating a VC?
    The uncertain status of the source files plays a role as well, but yes, little use for one in my 1980s environment unless I expand operations (and AFX files) further north where the F28 was more popular.

By the way, I think it is not too difficult to code the VC, based on 2D gauges. Can this be true?
    Panel polygons can be equipped with a $panel.bmp "texture" which allows placing 2D gauges on them by defining their position and size in the [VCockpit] sections of the panel.cfg.
    This used to be a the standard for making VC panels and is still the best way to do gauges in more complex airplanes.
    (Does the Blender exporter support $panel textures, by the way?)

The unavailablity of some of the original gauges or the source files isn't the main issue itself rather than the additional work required by their restoration. And since work equals time and since time is awfully limited...

Anyway, if the gauge files can be opened in FSPanelStudio, one can at least salvage the gauge's bitmaps, which only leaves the gauge logic (in XML) to be done. Provided, of course, that there isn't any stringent dependancy on the still functional C++ gauges of the panel...
    The model itself can be opened in ModelConverterX and saved in .OBJ format. It will break all the smoothing, animations and part names, but at least the UV maps of each part will be retained.

Ah, I see! Yes, a $panel does work fine in the Blender toolset. In fact, I HAD to use one because of some sound gauge problems. I was only using xml coding and tag objects, but that didn't work at some point. Creating a simple 2D xml gauge and applying the corresponding $ to a plane in my cockpit solved the problems. I believe in fact rcbarend was the one who was advicing the use of a 2D gauge. So: works fine

What I was thinking: VC gauges, switches and stuff can be coded in the modeldef with Lvars that refer to the 2D gauges of the 2D panel. But I might be thinking to simplistic...
    Creating a F28 VC sounds like a challenge to me, to be honest. But there's more, there's also a D.21 (almost there), a T.5 and that one will be difficult (for the internal part). So for now, only the old LVA Fokkers

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    Canadian North operated them and I know they have at least 1 in Storage.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

IMO, creating a proper VC (with the functionality of the main, overhead en throttle 2D panels) by today's quality standards would be a hell of a job.
    Also, many of the gauges that were created specifically for this F28, are XML gauges that use very simple 2D bitmaps.

But if anyone finds this a worthwhile challenge: be my guest

Rob

What I was thinking: VC gauges, switches and stuff can be coded in the modeldef with Lvars that refer to the 2D gauges of the 2D panel. But I might be thinking to simplistic...
    Creating a F28 VC sounds like a challenge to me, to be honest. But there's more, there's also a D.21 (almost there), a T.5 and that one will be difficult (for the internal part). So for now, only the old LVA Fokkers
    Well, the next airplsane on my list would be a VC for the DC-9 series, but I want to get comfy with Blender first.

So after you and I are done with the other stuff, we can join up with Rob and tackle any new F-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Well, the next airplsane on my list would be a VC for the DC-9 series, but I want to get comfy with Blender first.

So after you and I are done with the other stuff, we can join up with Rob and tackle any new F-28.
    Good idea! In a year or 5 or so...

Good idea! In a year or 5 or so...
    Or 10. Or we all go the timeless route and do it for FlightGear.

Uploaded now to the SOH library .....

Rob

Thank you very much Rob.

Fokker airplanes are very interesting.

Uploaded now to the SOH library .....

Rob
    Yes!

Thank you!

Cees

Because it's a matter of pride...

Thanks Rob!

Because it's a matter of pride...

The F28 above the Papendrecht Fokker factory. At the Veerdam location (which is a construction site at the photoscenery), many parts like bulkheads of the F100 have been build (so maybe the F28 too) and in the Slobbengors location (the straight line of factory buildings), F28 series cockpits have been assembled.

Hi,

Is there any interrest here in me uploading the "Project Fokker F28" for FSX ?

Since I was part of the orginal development team, I still like this freeware FS9 aircraft very much.
    Very nice to fly, a lot of emulated systems and a very good visual model.
    Allthough it lacked a VC, quite some systems were emulated "3D" in "2D" windows.

So what I did:
    - Replaced all incompatible gauges with FSX-compatible ones.
    - Adapted the main 2D panel for widescreen monitors.
    - Tweaked some system gauges to FSX (like my fully automated Autoland system, which even works at 25 Knots crosswind).

Still no VC though, to avoid disappointment.

Rob

Hi Rob, this would be GREAT. Always one of my favorite commercial airplanes. I like 2D panels for airline operations. :-)

Thanks for this.
    Eric

Members who have read this thread: 3