Wat if Mustang.....

Thread: Wat if Mustang.....

Wat if Mustang.....

I this looks cool......this is a paint used in the DCS flight sim.......would look awesome using the Warbirdsim Mustang.

Reminds me of this one

VFR Simulations
    www.vfrsim.com

I think once I upgrade PC's I will be DCS only........love the WW2 fighters coming out for it now. the P-51, BF-109K4 and FW190D-9

Wouldn't mind seeing that for the A2A P-51 as well.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

was hoping someone would do this one. I may attempt when I arrive back home next week. looks so cool in this era paint scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post
    was hoping someone would do this one. I may attempt when I arrive back home next week. looks so cool in this era paint scheme.
    I'm on this. Also one of my favourite 'what if' schemes. I remember the debates around whether the Cavalier Mustang was suitable as an SEA close support asset alongside the Bronco and Sandy in the late 1960's. It lost out because of its vulnerability to ground fire though its range and on-station loiter time made it very appealing. And the DCS paint pattern looks better than most of the actual ones used!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

I'd also like to do an F-16 style repaint for it too. I know its odd but my love of the mustang carries on. Someone once did one for the A2A mustang back in the FS2004 days.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    I'm on this. Also one of my favourite 'what if' schemes. I remember the debates around whether the Cavalier Mustang was suitable as an SEA close support asset alongside the Bronco and Sandy in the late 1960's. It lost out because of its vulnerability to ground fire though its range and on-station loiter time made it very appealing. And the DCS paint pattern looks better than most of the actual ones used!

DaveQ

Quote Originally Posted by skyhawka4m View Post

I'd also like to do an F-16 style repaint for it too. I know its odd but my love of the mustang carries on. Someone once did one for the A2A mustang back in the FS2004 days.
    'Twas I methinks....!

Progressing slowly - I hate doing camo!
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

This is what I've done so far... 67-14866, a Cavalier Mustang (minus tail extension) one of a batch of nine actually sent to Guatamala, in an SEA camo carrying the tail codes of an A-1J unit. Bombed up and going to war!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-51D SEA 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	14510

Name:	F-51D SEA 2.jpg 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	14511

Put on a bit of alpha and spec shine. Camo scheme could be better n'es pas?

DaveQ

Absolut stunning work DaveQ - looks fantastic !!

Kindest regards

Dirk

DaveQ - looks great, been waiting for a SEA Mustang. Any chance you could include two versions? One with red spinner and one with the spinner the same colour as adjacent camo.

Cheers

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Quote Originally Posted by rgatkinson View Post
    DaveQ - looks great, been waiting for a SEA Mustang. Any chance you could include two versions? One with red spinner and one with the spinner the same colour as adjacent camo.

Cheers

Taff
    No wurries - wilco. May take a day or so to wrap up.

This is what I've done so far... 67-14866, a Cavalier Mustang (minus tail extension) one of a batch of nine actually sent to Guatamala, in an SEA camo carrying the tail codes of an A-1J unit. Bombed up and going to war!

Name:	F-51D SEA 1.jpg 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	14510

Name:	F-51D SEA 2.jpg 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	14511

Put on a bit of alpha and spec shine. Camo scheme could be better n'es pas?

DaveQ
    Very cool! would love a stripped off version like the one in the first post...just national insignia and white serial number...PLEASE???

Back to Basics....

Stripped off the decoration and most of the shine. The code AF67 866 is more representative of 1967-70 than the DCS one so I'm digging my heels in on that one!

Name:	F-51D SEA 3.jpg 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	14594

Will post as soon as I can.

DaveQ

Stripped off the decoration and most of the shine. The code AF67 866 is more representative of 1967-70 than the DCS one so I'm digging my heels in on that one!

Will post as soon as I can.

DaveQ

Thanks Dave, she's looking real pretty. For me SEA camouflage seems to accentuate the beautiful lines of the Mustang which, I suppose, is the total opposite of what is intended.

Regards,

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Uploaded here and Flightsim. Enjoy!

DaveQ

A little off topic,But since this thread is full of Mustang aficionados.........Which is the better P-51 for FSX A2A or Warbirdsim?Which features put one or the other over the top?
    thanks.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by dc10boy View Post
    A little off topic,But since this thread is full of Mustang aficionados.........Which is the better P-51 for FSX A2A or Warbirdsim?Which features put one or the other over the top?
    thanks.
    Stan
    Having both, the A2A Mustang will require you to really learn the plane. Warbirsim is a great model but when I get a flight completed with the A2A P-51 without bending anything or blowing up the motor I feel accomplished. It is a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you won't find a boring moment. Hope that helps. Also the A2A forums help with in house P51 pilots and all the info you need to know......just my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by ksheadley View Post
    Having both, the A2A Mustang will require you to really learn the plane. Warbirsim is a great model but when I get a flight completed with the A2A P-51 without bending anything or blowing up the motor I feel accomplished. It is a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you won't find a boring moment. Hope that helps. Also the A2A forums help with in house P51 pilots and all the info you need to know......just my two cents
    I can confirm that. There is also a lot of additional variety between the two. If you have all of the WBS models there are many cockpit variations. With the A2A there are two versions, military and civil - which adds another dimension if you like Reno Air Racing.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Slightly OT, but here's something from my wishlist:

or another Cavalier/Piper conversion

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyG View Post
    Slightly OT, but here's something from my wishlist:

or another Cavalier/Piper conversion

If memory serves, at the time of the 'Mustang Tales' release, John considered doing the Cavalier Mustang (tip tanks and tall tail) but the Airacobra has taken over since then.

DaveQ

Quote Originally Posted by dc10boy View Post
    thanks.
    Stan
    Well, I hate to burst everyone's response (so far) on this topic but quite a while ago (well over a year ago) I purchased the A2A 'Civil' version, flew it for about an hour and put it back in the box (so to speak) - HAVEN'T flown it since !!!

After I put the A2A away, I went and got one of the WBS P-51 version's and that has been the only P-51 I've flown since !!

Bill

Members who have read this thread: 2