Aircraft Carrier (USS Oriskany) Problems/Questions

Thread: Aircraft Carrier (USS Oriskany) Problems/Questions

Aircraft Carrier (USS Oriskany) Problems/Questions

OK. Having recently (first time for me) made working AI carrier tracks for the moving cv's, I have now (also for the first time) succeeded in converting Gary's terrific CV34 moving model into a static scenery bgl and planted her, textures, animations and all, smack in the middle of Yankee Station (rubs hands thinking of the AI traffic potential). She looks sensational - very hi res.

I have in the past made AFCAD/ADE airports for stationary carriers in FSX, e.g. AS Big E, HMS Ark Royal, etc. I know the whole water line issue and so you need to make a second "airport" at sea level - an "Ocean Flatten File." Have done it before but now I seem to be defeated on this and can't find much on the net on what I am doing wrong. It all looks fine (default C172 even will sit on the deck with a little slewing) until I add parking and then it all goes pear shaped, with volcano like sea mounts (ugly brown earth and water mix) coming up to the deck level, also pushing the hull of the carrier up out of the water. Yuck.

What I can't seem to find is the correct deck height above sea level of the Oriskany. Seems to be 60 feet. Is that correct? Where would you set your ADE "upper level" airport (using steel mat), at about 58'?

Other problem is that my airports (at 58' and the Ocean Flattern at 0') all seem to save and compile fine in ADE but then the changes aren't showing up when I re-open the bgl in ADE. Any thoughts on why that is?

Thanks

expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Have you tried changing the order of listing (hierarchy) in Scenery Library. That was an issue way back with the Alphasim Enterprise.
    You had to get it right order (ocean flatten ABOVE the ship in the list) or she sat on a pedestal.

Hi Frank - thanks. Yes, in fact, I have the old AS Big E ported and planted in the usual places. Works fine in FSX for AI ops. The Big E Ocean Flatten files corresponding to each bgl location are all in one Big E Flatten folder that sits above the Big E scenery in the hierarchy. I put my Oriskany flatten in there with the Big E flattens, and also ensured my Oriskany scenery bgl folder sits below the flatten folders in the scenery library. I don't think it needs its own separate folder - someone made a big folder of flattens for various carriers and this works as long as it sits above all of the corresponding scenery folders.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Tried a separate, higher up folder (activated) but still high and dry! For fun and nostalgia, I attach the screenie I took nine years ago when we were all then on the AS Forum and enjoying the AS FS9 Big E scenery (was all pretty cool back then!).

Members who have read this thread: 0