Avro Lincoln - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avro Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Paul K,
    Please open a support ticket so Phil can be made aware of your concerns.

mal
    How do I go about that ? Using the email address - tech.support -at- virtavia.com ?

Lovely work on the paints Jens.

I contacted support at Virtavia. It seems no further work is going to be done on the Lincoln, so the low-poly radome and trim wheel issues will remain. Rather a shame, because it's a good model of an unsung aircraft.

Okay, that's me out of here once more.

Yeah, I got the same reply. But it is still a great package and I find it very fun to take for cross country flights around the old bomber bases in the UK.

Next out is RA722 which spent her last years with the Central Signals Establishment at RAF Watton for ECM/Elint work. Good pictures of her at both Biggin Hill and RAF Gutersloh in 1960. Non standard black engine nacelles and green anti glare panel.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Jens, I'll take that repaint please. I lived at RAF Watton as a boy, and for a long time two Lincolns lay dumped at the eastern end of the airfield. By sneaking under the fence we could go and play in them. It's quite possible that RA722 was one of those aircraft.

EDIT: Have you uploaded it anywhere ?

Interesting! A shame they did not think more about aircraft preservation in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Many aircraft types have been lost forever.

The file is not yet uploaded, but I have attached a copy here for you and others to try.

Attachment 15055

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I contacted support at Virtavia. It seems no further work is going to be done on the Lincoln, so the low-poly radome and trim wheel issues will remain. Rather a shame, because it's a good model of an unsung aircraft.

Okay, that's me out of here once more.
    What a pity, I can only hope that Virtavia may reconsider an update at some point in the future like they did for their B-29. It seems a shame that one of the models is marred with a sub-standard radome when, as you say, the radome on other models seems ok. I know little about modelling but I would assume that the good radome model 'object' could cut and pasted to replace the sub-standard one. The financial/labour/personal constraints of supporting and updating a model after release must be daunting but I would hope a balance could be achieved. E.g. allow 3 months for customer feedback i.e. bug reports, decide what is achievable for the least amount of cost and time and provide an update. After that, sorry but no can do.

Of course, if you don't want to support, i.e. update, your product after release invest a bit more time and effort on beta testing. However, this incurs delays that hit on hoped for revenue. Catch 22 I suppose. Oh the joys of being a developer, who in their right mind would do it?

A big heartfelt "Thank You" to all those that do.

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I contacted support at Virtavia. It seems no further work is going to be done on the Lincoln, so the low-poly radome and trim wheel issues will remain. Rather a shame, because it's a good model of an unsung aircraft.....
    I am just wondering if it is the overall poly count (the poly count of the entire aircraft) that is the issue? If not.....well......

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Interesting! A shame they did not think more about aircraft preservation in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Many aircraft types have been lost forever.

The file is not yet uploaded, but I have attached a copy here for you and others to try.

Attachment 15055
    Thank you Jens, very much appreciated.

I think the issue is more that the Lincoln seems to have a narrow customer base (even if the type has a very interesting history and the model itself is great) and that current sales don't justify more work on her. I understand that making these lesser known aircraft are a fine balance of input in resources and time and what they get back, and I think we as customers just have to live with that if we want to see these models. A bit sad as it is very close to the perfect Avro Lincoln representation. We can hope, but I'll not hold my breath.

For me the radar radome issue is not so much about being low poly, I can live with that, but that it has the wrong shape. As far as my research goes it looks like all of the big radome Lincoln had the saddle type radome and not the shape which is on the current model. I might we wrong of course. I believe Virtavia used the warpaint drawings and they have the wrong shape of the radome.

As an end note, I'm very happy that Virtavia continue with the tradition to bring forward some of the forgotten aircraft of the cold war, hopefully more people find these aircraft interesting as well.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

.....As an end note, I'm very happy that Virtavia continue with the tradition to bring forward some of the forgotten aircraft of the cold war, hopefully more people find these aircraft interesting as well.
    Yes, that is why AlphaSim / Virtavia has always been my number one stop over the years. Probably makes up 90% of the aircraft that I have purchased over the years.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

As an end note, I'm very happy that Virtavia continue with the tradition to bring forward some of the forgotten aircraft of the cold war, hopefully more people find these aircraft interesting as well.
    I certainly agree with the subject, and also with the fact that this is an aircraft that is worth producing, however, for just a little extra effort it would have been excellent instead of average.
    Despite my connection to the MR31 I'm not buying 'average', never have and never will.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Wombat, there are nothing wrong with the RAAF models! The MR.31 has no problems. We have been talking about the RAF B.II model with the big radome. All of the models with the original radome are ok.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

SX988 of No 7 Sqn, 1953

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Nice Jens Are you going to upload this one (and the one before your last) too??

ATB
    DaveB

Wombat not sure if you have succumbed to the Lincoln, I did as it completes my 10 Squadron aircraft. Here are a couple of screen shots of the RAAF ones:

Beta of the Lincoln texture pack;

-SX991, Radar Reconnaissance Flight, RAF Benson, 1951

-SX988, No 7 Sqn., RAF Watton, 1952

-RF555, No 61 Sqn., RAF Eastleigh, Kenya, 1954 (redone stock textures)

-RA722, Central Signals Establishment, RAF Watton, 1960

Attachment 15170

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Cheers Jens

ATB
    DaveB

Excellent ! Thanks very much, Jens.

Thanks Jens, for the excellent paints.

And thanks to all of you who support Virtavia even when we fall a wee bit short on the details.

If not for you, we never would have been able to hang around this long.

Really appreciate the great repaints, Jens - thanks!

Thanks for the kind words :-)
    I very much want to hear what you guys think about the paints, any details I should add or decals which needs to be redone?
    The Lincoln is a bit of a difficult subject to research as there are very few period detail pictures or colour pictures to show colours on details like the spinner etc.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    Thanks Jens, for the excellent paints.

And thanks to all of you who support Virtavia even when we fall a wee bit short on the details.

If not for you, we never would have been able to hang around this long.
    The aforementioned radome and trim-wheel issues notwithstanding, this Lincoln is a good model and deserves to be a success. I have no regrets in buying it, and thank you for bringing us the often overlooked and 'unsexy' aircraft. I'd pay for a number of the unusual Virtavia models before yet another F-16, so keep up the good work.

Something special from down south in the Atlantic..

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Members who have read this thread: 1